• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What discs are best NOT thrown forehand/sidearm?

joshuajames

Double Eagle Member
So I just asked about the Lat Vision and a couple of folks suggest that it not be used for forehand drives.

Are there any other molds that are best NOT thrown forehand?

Thanks for your input guys.

What they are referring to in that thread is pretty much any understable disc is harder to throw FH because you need very clean form to do it properly (without turning it straight over into the ground.)

That said with great form even the vision can be thrown FH and would probably go really far if done properly. My average throw, both FH and BH is around 280-300, my longest drive to date was 360ft with a sidewinder FH. I've never been able to replicate it, but that time everything just clicked.

none. if it can be thrown backhand it can be thrown forehand. disc golfers whine all day and night about throwing flippy discs forehand. if you think it's too hard to do, go watch people play ultimate.

It all depends on what you want out of your forehand. Right now I'm not focusing on it, so I just use it when I have to and haven't developed clean form. Because of that, I use overstable discs to mask my many form flaws, but that also means I don't have a ton of distance or versatility with that shot. If you want to learn to shape lines fh, learn to do it with the discs you have, especially slower less overstable plastic to start with.

Anything overstable will be a lot easier to throw forehand. I stay away from discs like me beast when forehanding as it dive bombs pretty quickly after release, showing that my FH form is decent at best.

I figured that any disc "could" be thrown FB but wanted to see what the consensus here was.

May just stick with my Pains and Rivers!

Since I do not have a strong forehand, I tend to throw slightly understable discs such as an XL. Makes it a little easier to get more distance that way.

If your form is clean it doesn't matter what you throw, as long as you can get it up to its cruising speed. I seem to be able to put a lot of speed on my forehand throws, but I have big OAT problems that I can't seem to fix. I think it's my grip, but I might be wrong. As it is, I generally only use overstable discs for my forehand drives, and am learning to account for the OAT when I need to "shape" a line. There's a guy I see at weekly doubles a lot who can throw the fool out of a disc forehanded, with a fairly clean release, and he's an unconscious natural -- he doesn't know what he does that works so well for him. He could probably throw anything he wants to, but would have to be choosy with his backhand, which is surprisingly weak relative to his forehand.

like lamp said, i stick to overstables with my sidearms. i release with more torque on FH, so im more likely to turn understables into the ground. i stick with xcals, destroyers and of course FBs. i really dont need anything else. FH rollers are another story...

Yeah, also another thing I've noted for throwing forehand is that most of the speed 13's will work well for someone who doesn't have the biggest arm, if your form is halfway decent. If you don't have the arm for a high speed driver when backhanding, then you should try it for forehand throws. I know this was the story for me with the boss and destroyer. Both are discs that I knew I couldn't throw well on BH's and they are my most successful discs for FH. Both of the discs are overstable, proving that it is easier to throw FH with overstable discs.

I guess I should also note that if you can't get a disc to work for backhands then you can always get more distance out of it by putting it on an anhyzer release.

FH rollers are another story...

Try a Max (preferably Star plastic) it has changed my game as far as rollers go!

Sorry to get off subject there, but I primarily started with all FH shots, I am transitioning now into more of a BH thrower (just more accurate and consistent). I have found, like most others on here, that Understable discs are almost impossible for me to flick. I just say beat in a TeeRex, XCal or, of course a FireBird and you will need nothing else!!!!

Anything can be side-armed. Which disc you should use for a given shot depends on your intended line and skill level. Not every FH shot out there calls for something fast and overstable.

Anything can be side-armed. Which disc you should use for a given shot depends on your intended line and skill level. Not every FH shot out there calls for something fast and overstable.

True, I was just referring to what discs are the easiest to forehand for distance. Obviously you wouldn't want to forehand an xcaliber on a 250-300' hole.

I know this was the story for me with the boss and destroyer. Both are discs that I knew I couldn't throw well on BH's and they are my most successful discs for FH. Both of the discs are overstable, proving that it is easier to throw FH with overstable discs.
The Boss and Destroyer are speed stable (i.e. they will fly as overstable if you don't get them up to their cruise speed), they are not overstable like a Firebird or an XCaliber is.

True, I was just referring to what discs are the easiest to forehand for distance. Obviously you wouldn't want to forehand an xcaliber on a 250-300' hole.

That depends: I have a 2 year old beat in Xcal that will stay on a straight line 200-250. I guess it would also depend on how wide or narrow the hole is and what line you want the disc to fly on.

I throw almost exclusively forehand and use all understable discs. If you plan to have a good, long, non-painful forehand longterm, get a lowerspeed mid and clean up your form now while it's easier. Proper snap and arm speed(slower for slower discs) will get any disc out there. You'll need to work out form eventually, might as well be now. :)

Conversely, like many have said here, a higher speed overstable disc will hide a world of form sins. One compromise would be something like the Nuke SS. I like that one and it will force you to pay some attention to your form but is not as demanding. If you really don't want to go the mid route I would go with this, less bad habits to unlearn later.

Whatever you decide, good luck! :)

The Boss and Destroyer are speed stable (i.e. they will fly as overstable if you don't get them up to their cruise speed), they are not overstable like a Firebird or an XCaliber is.

Firebird yes, XCal no. Bigger arms get high speed turn out of discs like the XCal and Ape, they're not truly overstable discs like a firebird.

What I've found is that I prefer faster speed discs for forehand rather than just overstable discs. A good example is that I much prefer a Buzz over a Roc for forehand. And then getting into drivers, I like an Orc (-1.5 HSS accord. to Joe's) and recently an Avenger SS (-2 HSS). These faster yet understable discs seem to be a good compromise, as they'll be somewhat forgiving, but will turnover if u overpower them or get sloppy with yer form. The thing about forehanding slower discs is that some people have really good results with them, but for me, they're just easier to throw backhand.