• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you aim at while putting?

What do you aim at when you putt?

• Total voters
Depending on how I have been missing lately and how far the putt is, either the right or the left side of the chains....usually near the pole.

Just putted in the pitch black with heavy wind and was hitting at 15 feet everytime and 30 feet half the time. Made me really focus on the follow through and what I was doing. I couldn't o bl y watch the basket and not the discs cause they were black and I couldn't see them. HUGE help!

Right of center a couple chains, half way up. Higher and more right at increased distance outside the circle. I have some hyzer to my putts. RHBH, BTW.

Top right side of the basket, right side of the chastity belt on discatchers, some part of the chain supports on others. Longer puts and uphill shots I focus a bit above, lower for downhill shots. But always the right side of it for me.

I answered pole; but I don't really aim at the pole, I try to hit the pole one to two inches below the middle. It's like baseball pitching: you don't pick a point in space and aim at it, you just throw the ball to the catcher's mitt.

Lower 40% of the pole.

If I aim at a chain link i have a tendency to putt TO that link instead of THROUGH that link. Which leads to am side chainouts and front rim bangers. Aiming at the pole fixes this for me, mostly. Lower 40% because that is the ideal catching point on any basket regardless of manufacturer. It's very very very rare to chainout if you make solid contact with the bottom half of the pole.

Aim at a link on the other side of the pole, closest to the right side as you're looking at it (assuming right hand putt). Then, when you're puttingto that link, you're driving the disc through the close chains and into the pole.

Pole

I aim at the pole about 60% of the way up. My putts are straighter now - when I started I aimed at a single link at the same height and slightly to the right of the pole but I had a slight hyzer then.

I aim for a spot just above the center of the pole and pick a link to aim if's lined up with the pole. Why? Because it gives me the biggest margin for error. I gain confidence by knowing I can be off line a little and still be in the meat of the chains.

Putting with a "small" arc. Honestly feels and looks a lot like McBeth's style. Except I am no where close to as good as him... Obviously. :p Nice bare bones style though. Simple and smooth. Great to emulate.

Inside the circle: I want the disc crashing the pole slightly to the right side (RH putt) as it slows down and hits the bottom half to 40% of the pole. I probably aim more at the basket as a whole. I want it automatic like a free throw or catch with a baseball. Just using enough power to make it fall into place. Basically wanting my eyes to glaze over and auto-pilot it in. Lol.

Within ~30' outside the circle: More aggressively aiming at the pole. Will focus more on just keeping it flat and smooth. Using an older/ seasoned putting only putter seems to make this much easier.

Long distance(2 methods): Step or jump putting it as flat as possible at the right side chains, intending on the disc starting to slow down and drop before it hits. I feel aiming at the basket the whole way just makes me miss by less. Playing the stall/ fade is just not accurate enough imo.

I also step or jump putt with anny straight at it a lot. laser beaming it as it flexes back into the pole. The anny honestly feel smarter(due to having to put less on it) and more accurate. YMMV of course.

Also, every putt is easier with a Fossil Wizard. ;)

A spot beyond the basket. Much like a boxer being taught to punch through the opponent I putt through the basket.

Before I started that I tried the single link but kept missing short cause I was just trying to make it to that spot. Moved my aim point back and my putting has gotten more consistent.

On the down side, misses blow past the basket and make come backers a little harder.

I aim for the right side of the pole - right on the orange stripe or whatever's there if available. I always felt that I was 'reaching' the putt if I aimed for a single link and left too many putts short. If I aim at the pole, I have more confidence that I can hammer it in there and it will likely stay too.

A spot beyond the basket. Much like a boxer being taught to punch through the opponent I putt through the basket.

Before I started that I tried the single link but kept missing short cause I was just trying to make it to that spot. Moved my aim point back and my putting has gotten more consistent.

On the down side, misses blow past the basket and make come backers a little harder.

I do this but I don't go "beyond the basket". I aim for a spot on the basket that's on the other side of the pole than I am. The reason I do that is because the misses don't blow past the basket as bad yet I'm still punching through my intended target.

Inside the circle I aim for the heart of the basket, outside I aim for the top left corner as I have a bit of an anny putting style. I don't focus on any particular link, pole or chain, it's more of a 6 inch zone or hole that I aim at.

Usually I aim for the pole, center of the chains.

But sometimes I aim for the moron who just putted and is now gasbagging on like an unholy union of Oprah and The Donald, in spite of the fact that he wanted it pin-drop quiet while he putted.

Shake hands with the pole!

A tree/post/etc 10 feet past the basket. I also imagine two trees about 5 ft away from the basket between me and it about a foot appart. Forces me to crash the basket but allows me to hit with surprising accuracy up to 70ft. This is for level ground of course since my chest height is about center of the chains it works very well.

Right edge of the pole inside about 25'. Then higher and righter as I get further out than that.

Inside the circle I go at the right outside edge of the pole and 2/3rds the way up, the further I am out the further high and right I aim to allow for drop and fade. I canned like a 80 footer last time out I was pretty pumped about cause my long putting can be bad, good from short though. I don't know how these guys anny putt from distance, it's just way too weird for me. Flat release and let the disc do it's work.