• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What do you "approach " with?

Might as well respond since my Friday is off to a slow start. I use a variety of options on approaches.

1. Berg - this is the first disc I try to envision my approach line with. It's glideless but not overstable. Just straight with about 10'-15' of fade and no skip. Those properties mean I really don't have to take the wind into consideration very much, since it is not prone to lift in a headwind and also does not allow crosswinds to get under the flightplate (which can be the case with more beefy approach discs). Primarily a backhand tool for me because it doesn't fit my hand well on flicks.

2. Zone - If I can't use a Berg, it's probably because I need a little more beef to get around a corner or to pull off a high flex line. Y'all know what Zones do, I don't need to overexplain it. Probably a 75% forehand, 25% backhand disc for me.

3. Beat-in Judge - possibly the most used disc in my bag. It gets used for long C2 putts, hyzerflip putter drives, dead straight approach shots, and turnover approach shots. Primarily a backhand disc when used on approaches, but I will also use it for flick annies that need to get around an obstacle and start turning left quickly.

4. Felon - My forehand is not my strongsuit, so I do jump up in speed and beef at a shorter distance than most people would. Probably around 150', I will start considering a Felon over a Zone if I need the approach to finish hard right.

5. Envies - Proton and beat-in Electron. These putters are fast, so I really try to only use them from 200'+ out. Is that still considered an approach? If so, then I guess they're approach discs, too. Primarily backhand but I will also use them on short flick approaches when I need less fade than a Zone, but more HSS than my beat Judge.

Last edited:
In the open most often P Model S on a hyzer angle. In the woods either magic line shaping PA4 or forehand with the trusty A3.

Flare skips, forehand rollers from jail, upside down sliders, spikes.....Wraith and Firebird both make appearances inside 150' sometimes.

Guess I might be getting away from the definition of approach for purposes of this thread, but oh well.

From less stable, less distance to more: Star Aviar P&A, SP Breaker, ESP Zone, 350g A3, 750 A3.

The Breaker is an awesome disc that I use for touch forehand approaches as well as my driving putter.

I'm trying to just step putt more and more. Probably within 100' in the open. They seem to have the best chance for going in and never going long.

When will they make Champion BB Aviars???

Cant imagine using a driver from 150'. Needs to be on a spike angle really. Most often a putter ought to do.

My forehand is utility/approach only since I max out around 225' on flick shots. So it is actually pretty easy for me to take a utility OS fairway and power it down to 150'. But yeah, I recognize that for guys that have more than just an emergency FH, that it should be pretty rare that they consider flicking a Felon <200'. I probably do it about once per round on average.

Mostly Magics and Wizards. I prefer the controlled glide of a base plastic putter. Occasionally, when I come across a low ceiling anny shot, I'll flick an overstable driver like a Firebird and play the skip.

Roach, Zone, Comet or Trident. Depends on the situation but if I can throw a Zone that's the number 1 option.

Used to be the Innova Wysocki Pig (different than the R-Pro Pig), but they are so hard to get hold of that I've switched to the DGA Breaker (same numbers, same flat top, but easier to find).

Two best approach discs I've ever used or tried BY FAR are the Kastaplast Berg and Discmania Tactic. They both completely changed approaches for me and shaved strokes off my game. Especially the Berg. Not sure you can find a better approach disc than a Berg. Once you get used to it's somewhat different shape/feel and really learn it, it's hands down THE BEST. You can make almost any shot with it from 200' and in. And I even putt with it often and it's just about as good as my favorite main putter (K3 Reko). FH, BH, hyzer, anhyzer, dead straight, super soft landing, no roll, no ground play, low glide, YOU control what shot you want with it, and it will do them all!

The main reason being is that they are so easy to throw and so consistent. Which has not only helped me park approach shots on par 4's or 5's, but more importantly save par from a bad drive. Knowing I have those discs in my bag, gives me so much confidence to know I can probably save par from a horrible or unlucky tee shot. Have a SUPER delicate downhill run away approach? Berg! Super touchy side lie basket? Berg! If you throw it right, it WILL stick to the ground like velcro and always leave you a short putt.

BH AND FH! Both are incredible for either. And I have both in a few different plastics for different courses or shots: Berg in K2 and K3 hard, and Tactic in soft and hard. The Bergs are more dead straight to slightly O/S, while the Tactic's are definitely O/S in both plastics. Also the Tactic is super flat top, which I love, as well as the A3/A4. While the different plastics of the Berg are more curved. The K3 hard being the flattest top of the bunch.

K1 plastic is like the most ultra premium plastic you can buy on the market! It's like the durability of the best Champ or C Line, but has more grip and just a tiny bit more flex. But is super stable and lasts FOREVER. Also comes out of your hand SO CLEAN. Has a nice slick sheen to it, but somehow still allows you to grip it so well.

K2 is basically the same as K1 but softer and more flexible. Not quite ultra squishy taco plastic soft, but not too far away. So it's PERFECT for an approach disc. Comes out of your hand SUPER CLEAN. And sticks to the ground like velcro.

K3 is like a really high end base plastic. Kind of feels like Exo Soft from Discmania. Has that low end plastic base feel, but has an interesting chalky but somehow grippy like feel to the exterior. Beats in much faster and gets nicks quicker, making it amazing for approaches and grabbing chains when putting!

When approaching a tough basket that has hard ground or where the disc could roll away, I always use the K2 Berg. It is soft and gummy, so it sticks to the ground really well and usually doesn't roll away because of how it lands. Whereas I use the Tactic on longer approaches and/or when the ground isn't hard (maybe a grass landing) or where the ground isn't going to possibly make the disc roll away. As it lands usually on a little more of a hyzer angle and has more potential to roll. But if you are good at nose up anyhzer approaches, then it won't matter. I'm just not that good yet at those, so that's why I carry 2-3 approach discs.

The Tactic is basically Discmania's version of a Zone or Harp. So you could add those two discs into the mix as well from what I hear they are almost identical.

Another really good approach disc that I would put in this grouping is the Prodigy A series, specifically the A3 and A4. To me, they play a little bit longer than both the Berg and Tactic, but in reality, they all probably fly about the same distance give or take 20/50'. It's just that I use the A4 more for throwing, then for approaches. It has a very interesting thin profile, flattish top and very blocky flat unique wing shape. And on the underside of it, the overall profile is flat. So when you throw it flat or low, it really gets a lot of skip or ground play. Which is not ideal for an approach. At first it was a little odd, but INSTANLTY fell in love with how it feels and throws coming out of my hand for 200-250' shots, and even more so for odd escape shots or FH's. It REALLY shines FH because of it's unique shape and profile.

The only problem for me with it for approaches is that I can't throw that nice little soft nose up anyhzer approach shot yet (still working on that and trying to get consistent) that just dies where it lands. So it always comes in hot and on a hyzer angle. So it skips and has a lot of ground play. Which for certain shots is amazing and I keep it in my bag just for such shots. Low ceiling or skip shots are amazing with it. Same for the A3, but it has even more hook/fade than the A4 and isn't as long for me. But because it's so thin and flat, it really gets a lot of ground play when thrown medium to hard and flat or low. So it comes in handy sometimes and saves my butt, where I would not be able to do that with the Tactic or Berg. Those discs have the traditional thin wing profile (which means when they land, they grab more), while the A3/A4 have this unique flat blocky wing shape that really makes it skid off the ground really easy when thrown a certain way.

But if you can throw them with that sweet little soft nose up anhyzer flight path, their absolutely money. And if/when I learn to throw that shot, I'll probably only play with an A4 and Berg at that point. Kevin Jones game was transformed he said when he finally made the switch over to the A3 discs! So I'd add it to your list and pick up a few A3/A4's along with some of the others to see which one works best for you and your game.

I don't think you can go wrong with a: Berg, Tactic, Harp, Zone, A3/A4, or Pig. I might be missing a few, but those seem to be the best of the best. Good luck

This thread is great - it started in 2008 with people referring to the zone as the "Ace Race Disc", then got necro'd 13 years later with someone replying with "zone"

Anything requiring forehand? Star Aviarx3, Zone
Straight to understable? Wedge
Dart, for what the other discs won't do.