• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is a Championship level course

"Gold level" course does not need pro shop but to be considered a Championship course, it "should" have some key amenities. General media comes to see a "Championship" course and there's no one attending it with no HQ building such Idlewild? Doesn't make sense.

Senor Chuck, the airport owns the property that Idlewild is located on and the park department is NOT allowed to build any structures on their property, hence port a lets, no buildings etc at Idlewild.

FYI, there are only a handful of us still trying to maintain this behemoth of a disc golf course and it's only a matter of time before it falls off the top ten list but we believe it IS a championship disc golf course and set the bar years ago for the way disc golf courses are designed today. You can thank Bob Herbert for that.

No question Championship Caliber. But I believe only a Championship Course when you're running events where the amenities are there. Sort of the opposite of Winthrop Gold. Their amenities are there all year but not the course layout. Your course is there all year but not the amenities. That doesn't take away from the fact it's one of our best courses for daily play, too.

I don't know how we can have Championship Courses where the public can't go and see it, have people there to help them, have a clubhouse, etc. Not knowing a thing about DG and seeing that a course is called a Championship course, visiting and having no one there makes no sense.

Let's raise the bar to at least have our Championship Courses have the facilities and grooming that most basic public golf courses have. Fred, for what it's worth, I don't think Highbridge meets the Championship Course or Venue level daily except the few temporary times they've hosted a big event like Mid-Nats or Worlds.

No question Championship Caliber. But I believe only a Championship Course when you're running events where the amenities are there. Sort of the opposite of Winthrop Gold. Their amenities are there all year but not the course layout. Your course is there all year but not the amenities. That doesn't take away from the fact it's one of our best courses for daily play, too.

I don't know how we can have Championship Courses where the public can't go and see it, have people there to help them, have a clubhouse, etc. Not knowing a thing about DG and seeing that a course is called a Championship course, visiting and having no one there makes no sense.

Let's raise the bar to at least have our Championship Courses have the facilities and grooming that most basic public golf courses have. Fred, for what it's worth, I don't think Highbridge meets the Championship Course or Venue level daily except the few temporary times they've hosted a big event like Mid-Nats or Worlds.

Championship courses should not be considered by pro shops, clubhouse, or what ever you want to call it. Championship courses should be figured by the quality of the course, hence, Championship Course.

What is your definition of amenities? My definition of amenities are the following: parking, bathrooms, shelters, tee signs, "next" tee signs, large tee pads, water fountains, benches, and a clean and maintained course. Which, Idlewild has all of these amenities.

The public can always see Idlewild because it is a public course. As for helping people grow into disc golf and this course, isn't this what this site is all about; friendships and sportsmanship?

Adding a pro shop to a course does make it nice, however, that option is not available. Why does not having a pro shop deteriorate from the course itself?

Idlewild is a quality course with everything you can possibly ask for. What else could you ask for in a Championship Course?

I think as disc golfers, we don't really see much value in a pro shop as say a ball golfer might because we've largely gotten accustomed to playing even some of our best venues without one. If they were more commonplace, I'd venture our opinions on that might change.

I think as disc golfers, we don't really see much value in a pro shop as say a ball golfer might because we've largely gotten accustomed to playing even some of our best venues without one. If they were more commonplace, I'd venture our opinions on that might change.

agreed!

I put a higher emphasis on a pro shop or clubhouse during the summer. It's amazing to be able to take a break after 9 holes and have snacks and drinks available to buy on a hot day. Especially when you don't plan ahead and bring enough or didn't have time to stop after getting off work.

Just talking the big picture here. We have many "Championship Caliber" courses, some which have the full package to be considered a Championship Course per my suggestion. A sizable percentage of Championship Caliber course sites are lacking the kind of operation and amenities the external public might expect (and we should expect) when assigning the Championship Course label.

We shouldn't sell our sport short in terms of expectations. The bar I'm suggesting is still pretty low relative to Championship Sporting fields in most other sports that have professional divisions. As a player, I'd rather play a Championship Caliber course with no amenities than one with amenities but a weaker course. But I'd like to think if I took anyone, whether player or not, to a place with a Championship Course, it would at least be equal in presentation to a public ball golf course. There have been several times over the years where I've designed a "Championship Caliber" course and took a non or new player (typically woman) and had to apologize or stop in advance because there weren't even restrooms.

Notice that for the upcoming big time St. Jude's charity tournament, they're spending big bucks to have it on a ball golf course, not because the course challenge will be better but due to the facilities and grooming expected. Some of our challenging Pro Worlds 2011 courses are nearby and yet not being considered.

Disc golfers are so smart and savvy they don't need local inventory or stores. Why would anybody possibly want to pay a few bucks more to buy a disc at your favorite local course. That would just be dumb. :p

idlewild. Selah flyboy have to be able to throw every shot and know when to throw it.

Looks like it comes down to either

1 - A course suitable for a championship

2 - A course ideal for a championship

Brewster Ridge@Smuggler's Notch Resort. Has it all (and by this I mean pretty much everything in Chuck's previously mentioned list, minus wifi, but good enough cell service they had folks updating scores out on the course using cell phones to text headquarters pictures of mid round score cards) ...except year round play of course! Sweet A-Tier last year, with bands and beers after party each night... Watch the vids and see for yourself! Great Stuff up in VT!

also, yes, this is kind of a shameless plug...but you should def check this course out if you haven't!

Last edited:
Just talking the big picture here. We have many "Championship Caliber" courses, some which have the full package to be considered a Championship Course per my suggestion. A sizable percentage of Championship Caliber course sites are lacking the kind of operation and amenities the external public might expect (and we should expect) when assigning the Championship Course label.

We shouldn't sell our sport short in terms of expectations. The bar I'm suggesting is still pretty low relative to Championship Sporting fields in most other sports that have professional divisions. As a player, I'd rather play a Championship Caliber course with no amenities than one with amenities but a weaker course. But I'd like to think if I took anyone, whether player or not, to a place with a Championship Course, it would at least be equal in presentation to a public ball golf course. There have been several times over the years where I've designed a "Championship Caliber" course and took a non or new player (typically woman) and had to apologize or stop in advance because there weren't even restrooms.

Notice that for the upcoming big time St. Jude's charity tournament, they're spending big bucks to have it on a ball golf course, not because the course challenge will be better but due to the facilities and grooming expected. Some of our challenging Pro Worlds 2011 courses are nearby and yet not being considered.

:clap::clap::clap:

Do you see sporting events even at a middle school rec level without concessions?! Ample Parking?! Well defined entrances and areas with accommodations like restrooms are a MUST.

Latest posts