• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Next for Golf Disc Manufacturers?

I think perfecting plastics and making consistent molds. I highly doubt there is any need for new molds to come out. But if you can recreate a CE Teebird or FAF CE Firebird I would be all in.

I second this. Consistency in Plastics and Molds. Albiet, plastics and molds are better now than they have ever been, IMO, as far as being consistent from disc to disc, of the same mold and plastic. But, getting to the point where every disc of a particular mold flies the Same and feels the Same, in a particular plastic, would be Awesome. :clap:

I must say.. THIS is how you start a thread!

It may or may not be possible at all, but the frisbee scientists should develop a disc that flies like a boomerang, somehow.. the ultimate trick shot disc haha

Russell Schwartz designed courses have been needing this disc for years.

I'm not sure what the manufacturers will do next, but disc golf will go to the handicapping performance edition like the awesome 2011 USDGC. :rolleyes:

Long live John Key, 2011 US Disc Golf Champion.

Someone needs to make a disc that beeps like the "Disc Beeper" has built in LEDs and floats in water. The disc also needs to be stable(like a Wizard, Roc, Teebird) and come in a durable plastic. It doesn't need to be PDGA approved. It would be perfect for course bagging, playing courses with nasty rough, late night rounds, and loaning out to noobs.

Not a disc but I have been waiting years for someone to copy the "Disc Beeper" and sell it for $3-7, not the $20+ the "Disc Beeper" sells for, If some company made a disc with a built in beeper I would check it out.

I think perfecting plastics and making consistent molds.
I'm all about getting the original CE plastic back. I played with a friend yesterday that is STILL throwing (every round, nearly) a 2001 CE Roc and has been since '01. And it still flies just about like new. Amazing plastic.

I'm all about getting the original CE plastic back. I played with a friend yesterday that is STILL throwing (every round, nearly) a 2001 CE Roc and has been since '01. And it still flies just about like new. Amazing plastic.

Well now, that doesn't seem like a very good modern business model. If you produce something that will last for decades, how are you going to sell a new one? There's a limited number of customers, so you need those to buy more than once. Produce crap that will need to be replaced within a few months and you've got a repeat customer. I really don't know why anyone would bother to produce a good, durable, reliable product.

Well now, that doesn't seem like a very good modern business model. If you produce something that will last for decades, how are you going to sell a new one? There's a limited number of customers, so you need those to buy more than once. Produce crap that will need to be replaced within a few months and you've got a repeat customer. I really don't know why anyone would bother to produce a good, durable, reliable product.

If I had affordable access to 2001 CE rocs or even just my 06 USDGC rocs, I probably would be a bit quicker to throw them over a water hazard or on a risky shot and possibly lose more of them. If a disc is rare and hard to find, then chances are I'm never gunna risk a chance to lose it. Also, new Champ plastic lasts just as long as the old stuff IMO, the old stuff just feels and flies better.

Think of it this way--if innova put it out again, people would buy it in droves and wouldn't stop. (Losses, new players, etc.) I think your scenario only would come to pass many years in. Think of the brand loyalty you'd build! I was around when CE came out and the next "CE" ticked people off to no end and turned people off innova. (This is where much of the inconsistent run talk started.) I, for one, would support a company for bringing it back...

Discraft did this way back....

Phantom+, basically indestructible and already under-stable.

Eclipse, fast, also very under-stable, one tree hit and time for a new one...

The old CE plastic or any of the older ones will never come back due to California's Proposition 65, reformation of Phthalates.
Manufacturers of any plastics that will be touched by skin has to pass prop 65, if you can make a product that can pass it can pass anywhere in the world.

I would imagine trying to keep molds consistent run to run and changing the formula plastic to plastic in compliance with prop 65 is almost impossible.

A year or two back, wasn't there a patent issued for built-into-disc tech?
Or maybe it was just PDGA approved? They updated the technical standards to allow for it, or something like that.

Like the little location fob that keeps you from losing your keychain. But built into a disc.