• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the Best Putter?

wtafro

Birdie Member
I am looking for the best all around putter that I can find. I have tried the Innova DX Birdie, Innova DX Aviar, Innova DX Polecat, Discraft Soft Magnet, Innova Star Aero, Innova Champion Aviar, DGA Blowfly II, and I have a Gateway Soft Wizard being shipped to me. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Within 30 ft, my Omega SS works best for me. If I want to run at the chains from 30ft out to about 75 ft, my JK pro aviar-x is my best chance. For throwing drives and approaches with putters, I like a dx aviar driver (I like the big bead when I'm throwing as opposed to putting).

Discraft Soft / ESP Banger GT. more stable than a challenger, great grip, soft, can throw it like a driver, mid and putter, PREDICTABLE, will do what its told in the wind too. it can also take a beating better than rocky balboa and still come out champ.

There are a handful of putters like this, but this one is my favorite. GET ONE!

This is getting almost as bad as the what is par threads, *sigh* SS Warlock for me.

Seriously its whatever you feel the most confident with

I noticed you havent tried any kind of Banger. Pro d Banger Gt if you like them somewhat hard. Soft Banger Gt if you like them gippy.

Within 30 ft, my Omega SS works best for me. If I want to run at the chains from 30ft out to about 75 ft, my JK pro aviar-x is my best chance.

I have a pair of OSS's and a pair of JK's and I like them. Coincidently...I use approx. the same distance range as mashnut. The OSS are like tossing darts and the JK's float a little easier for those longer runs.

And I keep a Chain Magnet in my bag for little forehand flicks from about 60'.

This is getting almost as bad as the what is par threads, *sigh*
Yep. There is no best putter. It comes down to personal preference.

Almost all the answers in these threads are better suited to the question: "What's the putter you use?"

I also suspect that a lot of people answering these putter questions haven't personally tried more than a few putters themselves. And by "try", I mean really tried. Not just throwing them once or twice and saying "This sucks.", but doing something like playing a whole round with that new/different putter.

I'm a huge fan of the Soft Magnet's "product description" from Marshall Streets' website - couldnt agree more

Discraft had to jump on the soft putter bandwagon. Yes, they grab the chains, and they don't slide as far, but you might also try just putting it right into the middle of the basket and all these extra soft features won't be necessary. I don't mean to demystify the short game, but good and bad putting has more to do with your psyche than with what material your putter is made out of.

all Innova/Gateway/Discraft etc all make similar products - if u suck with a Challenger chances are ull suck with a Wizard and if u try to go with something a little different ull probably suck with that. just get a notable putter and practice and stick with it until u can definitively say it's the putter's fault.

Just try out putters if you can. My local store (The Hazy Shade) has an indoor putting range with distances marked every 5' up to 40'. I threw all the Aviars and Magnets (and there were many more) today and finally settled with the good old DX Aviar P&A with the JK Aviar a close second. I really liked the Soft Magnet as well, but with wind and high temps factored in I feel like it would be to floppy and not very good as a driver which I throw up to about 200'. The Soft Magnet does seem to stick to the chains well though (probably money 15' and in), but for the 30'+shots the P&A was the most consistent and predictable for me (belly pitch putt with staggered stance).

It is definitely something that only you can really decide. i went through several putters, soft magnet, all kinds of aviars, challenger, well you get the idea. mostly for me it was a matter of getting something that just felt right in my hand and felt good on the release, for me it was my champion rhyno (gummy). It doesn't seem like these are too popular amongst the golfers here, but I love it. It does very well in the wind and is great for approach shots as well, so that's my vote, but just keep looking you'll find one that you love sooner or later.

Just try out putters if you can. My local store (The Hazy Shade) has an indoor putting range with distances marked every 5' up to 40'. I threw all the Aviars and Magnets (and there were many more) today and finally settled with the good old DX Aviar P&A with the JK Aviar a close second. I really liked the Soft Magnet as well, but with wind and high temps factored in I feel like it would be to floppy and not very good as a driver which I throw up to about 200'. The Soft Magnet does seem to stick to the chains well though (probably money 15' and in), but for the 30'+shots the P&A was the most consistent and predictable for me (belly pitch putt with staggered stance).

The hazy shade rocks, one of the best dg stores that i have been to.

I'll putt with different discs on different days depending on how I'm feeling or how quick my hand is releasing the disc. Some times I'll put the putters away and just putt with an understable fairway driver that doesn't have too much fade (especially on days when my head isn't right for putting). Really though, the best thing you can do to improve your short game is to practice. Get a portable chain basket and practice. A lot. And don't forget that putting is 95% mental/emotional. If you are focused properly putting gets easy. On a good day I don't miss the 20-30' putts and on a bad day I have to make sure all my approach shots are under 15' from the basket or my score goes to hell.

I tried several putters, and I always came back to the Magnet. I love the Magnet, and when I found the Titanic , which is the Magnet is ESP/Star plastic, I was thrilled. It flies great, approaches great, and I love it.

Latest posts