• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the Best Putter?

Stable big bead putters are the best because: A. since they're stable they're pulling left and downward so that when you miss they don't blow by as far as less stable putters, and b. They don't turnover so you can use them to drive and approach with confidence.

Of the stable big bead putters I prefer the Pro D Challenger. It is soft without being too floppy soft and it's the cheapest of the big bead putters. SS Wizards are the same disc for twice the price. JK and KC Aviars are the same disc for 1.5 times the price. Soft Challengers feel exactly the same to me but are $2.00 more. The star Aviar Driver is the same disc for 2.5 times the price.

If Innova made a DX big bead Aviar I would probably use that instead of the Challenger because I think DX is slightly more durable.

Last edited:
Stable big bead putters are the best because: A. since they're stable they're pulling left and downward so that when you miss they don't blow by as far as less stable putters, and b. They don't turnover so you can use them to drive and approach with confidence.

Of the stable big bead putters I prefer the Pro D Challenger. It is soft without being too floppy soft and it's the cheapest of the big bead putters. SS Wizards are the same disc for twice the price. JK and KC Aviars are the same disc for 1.5 times the price. Soft Challengers feel exactly the same to me but are $2.00 more. The star Aviar Driver is the same disc for 2.5 times the price.

If Innova made a DX big bead Aviar I would probably use that instead of the Challenger because I think DX is slightly more durable.

I agree with you on the stable big bead putters for throwing on drives and approaches, but I like a smaller (or no) bead for actually putting. I also prefer a harder plastic for throwing and a softer/floppier putter for putting.

I agree with you on the stable big bead putters for throwing on drives and approaches, but I like a smaller (or no) bead for actually putting. I also prefer a harder plastic for throwing and a softer/floppier putter for putting.

Yeah I have a a DGA Blowfly II and I just can't get used to how floppy it is.

Pro-R Dart. Pro-R Dart. Pro-R Dart! Not getting any love here, so I thought I'd add some. Since I picked mine up, I've given away or traded a Champion Aviar, a Champion Rhyno and a DX XD. I LOVE this putter. It's soft and grippy, can be used for turboputts, and long putts. I used to lay up alot from 50 feet out, because if I'd miss, I'd usually have to worry about the disc gliding 20 feet past the chains, or rolling, etc. The Dart is much more predictable, accurate and will cling to the chains much more than any other putter I've used. I have actually stuck it in the side of the basket once! If I miss, it dies where it hits the ground, only rolling away on a severe slope, like hole 3 at Giles Run (but any disc is going to do that).

In my mind this is the best putter ever made!

QUOTE]

Actually I've been finding some killer deals on Ebay for Gateways. I just won a set of 4 Wizards, from S to SSS for $18. I've never used the Wizard, but I love my Warlock. From what I understand, the Wizard has the bead and the Warlock is beadless. I love the Gateway soft plastics but I still carry a Z Putt'r in case I feel as if I need something harder.

BTW - I've never thrown a Blowfly, but if you like floppy, the Daredevil Woodchuck is floppier than Gateway's SSS.
I'll also throw the R-Pro Dart some love...I haven't played too much with it because of my Gateway love, but I did make a 50 footer uphill with mine the other weekend....

Thats why I did the $6 Wizard/Magic/Voodoo misprints deal...well worth it to spend $30 and try practically all the mixes.

Latest posts