• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the best way to ship discs

Tmac811

Bogey Member
what is the most cost efficient way to ship discs? bubble mailers? flat rate boxes? priority?

it always seems when i ship discs it costs 11-14 dollars weather its one disc or five discs.

oh mighty DGCR share your ways

Ship First Class via USPS is around $3 with one disc

Ship Priority via USPS is around $6 with two-four discs

Those prices are close depending on region you are shipping to...

You can also buy mailers in bulk or just wrap discs in packing paper to save money on other shipping costs

How are you shipping them now?
$11 - $14 is outrageous.
I use USPS 1st class most of the time.
@ $2.50 per disc. I buy my bubble mailers at Wally World...

I always ship flat rate priority w/ tracking. I'm not selfish for the extra 3 bucks.

But your bubble mailers at the dollar tree. 2 for $1 and the can fit 2 discs. (it's a little snug, but it can do it.) for more than that I use usps's priority envelope or whatever it is called.

Paging Prerube....

Never mind, I tried the search engine and there's just too much clutter.

Technically a single disc (assuming this is standard 165-180g weight) in a bubble mailer should go as an 8 ounce parcel which should run $2.80. Some folks here have been sending them as large envelopes and have been getting them through the system for $2.30. I don't recommend this, but I don't deny that they are doing it.

Two discs is where shipping gets fuzzy. In most instances, two discs (again assuming standard 165-180g weight, plus the weight of a bubble mailer will carry the total weight of the package just over 13 ounces which makes it Priority Mail automatically. This jumps your shipping from $3.90 First Class anywhere to $5.20-$6.80 Priority depending on destination. This is a significant jump. With the sudden jump in popularity of Blizzard Champion discs though, you might be able to get two in for under 13 ounces if at least one of them is a lightweight Blizzard.

Three discs or more will almost certainly be Priority. Check to see whether region variable shipping or flat rate shipping will be cheaper. Generally the heavier the package and the further it has to go, flat rate will be a better option.

what is the most cost efficient way to ship discs? bubble mailers? flat rate boxes? priority?

it always seems when i ship discs it costs 11-14 dollars weather its one disc or five discs.

oh mighty DGCR share your ways

We have shared this numerous times. If you would have searched before shipping you could have saved 7 bucks every time.
I learned it on DGCR
cheapest way to ship a disc
shipping discs not sure why that thread got closed....now I remember

Last edited:
If you're shipping 2-3 discs, look into using a USPS Priority Mail padded flat rate envelope. You have to order them online, but they're only $5.10 up to 70 pounds (which you won't hit with three or less discs). So if you consider $2.80 for one, or $5.10 for three, that's a massive savings.

I buy the bubble mailer in bulk at Sams. Don't remember exact cost, the small envelopes were around $7 for 25 and the large $10 for 25. Small will fit most drivers. Large will fit 2 or three discs.

I ship from my office and it is easiest for me to always ship single discs at a time. I ship First Class letter rate and it comes out to $2.10.

Some folks here have been sending them as large envelopes and have been getting them through the system for $2.30. I don't recommend this, but I don't deny that they are doing it.

I used to do this, but stopped when I had 2 packages returned for insufficient postage. I had them marked "Do Not Bend", but, apparently, large envelopes are not supposed to have "rigid" materials. I think this is what got me, not the weight or size of the envelope.

Padded envelope or if its a thrower just a 9x12 envelope. I usually just put 6 stamps and let it roll if its worth less than 20 (for 1 disc). I also save padded envelopes to reuse when I get them from other traders/sellers.

Thanks for all the responses yall. this has helped a ton. im gonna start using bubble mailers and first class shipping. the ones i shipped today were Priority and i think thats why it cost a little extra.

Please expand on why :doh: :wall:

Let's review....

I ship from my office and it is easiest for me to always ship single discs at a time. I ship First Class letter rate and it comes out to $2.10.

Because you're sending a parcel, not a letter! In fact, according to the USPS rate charts nothing above 3.5 ounces can be considered a letter. No wonder USPS is going broke.

Although I see the $2.10 you quoted is actually a Large Envelope price. I can see people not familiar with shape based pricing making that mistake (or trying to take advantage of that).

The best way to ship discs is to me.

Let's review....

Because you're sending a parcel, not a letter! In fact, according to the USPS rate charts nothing above 3.5 ounces can be considered a letter. No wonder USPS is going broke.

Although I see the $2.10 you quoted is actually a Large Envelope price. I can see people not familiar with shape based pricing making that mistake (or trying to take advantage of that).

Gotcha. I always just put it on the machine at work and hit print tape.

Gotcha. I always just put it on the machine at work and hit print tape.

Yeah, if you go to the post office or try to do it online, you will get a parcel price. The two things that turn it from a letter into a parcel are: it's over 1/4" thick, and you can't bend it. I always wonder about the discs showing up at my door with "DO NOT BEND" written on the envelope and a stamp for first class letter service.