• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

what is the name of an upside down flick?

'what is the point of an upside down flick?' fify

My usages...

- lobbing putts; up and quick down, with a shot at going in, but almost no chance of a blowby
- sliders; low ceiling with hazards behind basket; hit the ground just right and slide up to the pole
- upside down wind fighter

In my experiences, it is the only way to flick (motion) a disc eye level or lined up with your torso. There are tradional high release FHs but they're more difficult and less consistent. Also works along with BH lower torso push putt motions.

The OP is describing a scoober. You don't have to throw no-look to have it be a scoober. You can throw a scoober while squared up, it just isn't as useful as a break-mark shot normally.

A low release and high release backhand are still backhands. Your hand position and release style define the throw, not your body position.

The final arbiter of all disputes says that in Ultimate this throw is called a Scoober: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_disc_techniques#Scoober
"Another upside-down variant of the forehand, the scoober (also known as the spoon pass or hiawatha) is similar to a hammer, but released away from the body from a backhand stance, instead of over the head from a forehand stance. The scoober travels in a path similar to the hammer, although the initial release is typically more flat than a hammer release. Although it is more difficult to impart power to a scoober than a hammer, a scoober can be an effective short-range (10 to 20 yards/meters) throw and is used in Ultimate for breaking the mark and to throw over defenders in a zone defense.
Grip: Identical to a forehand or hammer.
Throw: The thrower steps towards the backhand side, holding the disc upside down and bringing the throwing arm across the body. Leading with the elbow, the throwing arm is swung forward, and the disc is flicked off the middle finger (as in a forehand), releasing the disc upside down."

Like I said, stance matters.:|

I'll use the "break mark" stance to get around stuff

but for the putt I am basically squared up and the putt is basically coming from my chest

Sweet! New trick shot to practice during field work. I love throwing goofy shots.

The grenade (spike hyzer with the disc upside down) is great for shots that need to hit the ground and STOP. The backspin created by the throw causes the disc to hit the ground and either flop right over or roll back towards you a few feet, then flop over. It's kinda crazy to watch and really useful on short, downhill approach shots.

I'll use the "break mark" stance to get around stuff

but for the putt I am basically squared up and the putt is basically coming from my chest

Yeah, the reason we don't have an ultimate name for that is because you'd never throw it in an ultimate game from that low. You'd just throw it directly into your mark. I guess it's a low release hammer? But either way, call it what you will.

'what is the point of an upside down flick?' fify

I (used to) throw one if I had a large tree (especially an evergreen) directly between myself and the basket. Find a line where a right angle gets you to the basket and throw the disc upside down in a forehand motion so that the flight plate lands flat right around the point of the angle. The disc will do the craziest skip you've ever seen.

So is a backhand that you throw while squared up still a backhand or does it need a new name because you didn't step across your body?

No, because no one has coined a name for a backhand thrown squared up. They did coin a name for an overhand thrown from the backhand stance though.

No, because no one has coined a name for a backhand thrown squared up. They did coin a name for an overhand thrown from the backhand stance though.

That's absurd. You have to realize how absurd that is since we're able to talk about it as a backhand. No one has coined a term for a squared up backhand because it's just a different kind of backhand. Similarly, no one has coined a term for a squared up scoober because it's really just a scoober.

No, then it's a hammer. I don't know how to phrase this any more simply.

A hammer is thrown over your head. This is different (in a meaningful way and not in a nit-picking way). This is much closer to your definition of a scoober than to your definition of a hammer.

A hammer is thrown over your head. This is different (in a meaningful way and not in a nit-picking way). This is much closer to your definition of a scoober than to your definition of a hammer.

But didn't you already say

A low release and high release backhand are still backhands. Your hand position and release style define the throw, not your body position.

? So if backhands don't change depending on release height, why would this throw we're arguing about. So, for this "upside-down forehand" body position doesn't matter, but release height does, but for backhands, release height doesn't matter either? You have yourself in a pickle sir.

Really not trying to nit-pick, just explaining the conundrum.

Latest posts