• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your Bag Size, and Why?

How many discs do you carry? (multiple choice if Tourney bag and Casual bag differ)

• Total voters

Teebird Elvis

Par Member
There are so many different philosophies behind bags and shots I would like to hear other people's ideas on why they carry the discs they do, and their philosophy behind it.

Myself, I carry a smaller amount of molds, and keep a small number of discs, to help with both stamina (weight of carry) and easier disc selection. I have found I can do all the same shots with a smaller number of discs than I can with a larger number of discs. At tournaments I only carry more discs as doubles, just in case one got lost. My mids, I carry a Roc and a Element. I could add a Buzzz, but it would just cause confusion, because it would so overlap my Roc, so I don't carry one. My putter is a toss up, sometimes Wizard, sometimes a Ion. I get the yips pretty often, and I find changing the putter gives me a fresh perspective, but they are both very similar to shape and feel. My Fairway drivers are Teebird and Firebird, and my Distance drivers are Teedevil (very light, very US), Boss, and Force. My discs are separated enough in flight characteristics that I rarely step up to a shot and wonder between discs, which helps me focus more on the shot.

Curious to know how many discs you carry on casual rounds and tournament rounds, and why that number? What is your disc golf bag philosophy?

Last edited:
I had to chime in simply because of the number of votes, and zero replies...

Discs are my sig. One of each.

I believe in carrying a light bag, with no muss, no fuss. Even though I carry few discs, I normally throw even fewer. The Vector and Zone are just riding the pine to pinch hit when needed.

I see I am the only 26+ guy on here. I could get away with fewer but don't mind carrying all of em.
I have a Zone
3 KC Aviars
1 p&a aviar
1 flick
2 Comets
3 Buzzz
3 FB's
3 TB's
2 Quasars
5 Destros
1 Wraith
1 RR

Up to 14 in the Squirrel Monkey. Up to 20 in the forthcoming Ergo. I started tinkering with my bag again. There are just too damn many great discs out there.

I find that the fewer options I give myself, the better my round is. If I'm debating between similar discs for a throw, it really screws up my concentration about the shot I'm about to make. I had my best round by far at my home course last week with 10 discs in my bag, down from the 15-16 I used to have crammed in there

Twelve in the smaller bag, fifteen in the bigger bag. I am also trying to minimize molds but I rely on a bunch of different putters.

I still use the bag I bought from In-Flight in Lansing, MI in 1997 because I'm frugal and it still works. It holds 17 comfortably. I don't find myself needing more Discs than that very often. It's my "starting lineup," and a new Disc that makes the starting lineup gets the full Harry Caray treatment at the course..."Making its MAJOR LEAGUE DEBUT!" I then spell something backwards and compliment a sombrero in the crowd, noting that it's a beautiful day for baseball...

I carry 20 to 25 because I likk to throw a lot.. I play multiple rounds just about everyday.. I will throw the same shot 6 times just to see...

My full bag ia in my signature...though I also keep a CE TL, a firm Lace and a D4 depending on the course. Its more of a comfort thing to have multiplies of nearly every disc, just in case I lose one (which happens a lot.)

I also have a 150-class bag for when I hit up Japan that just has 10 discs in it. So I can get by with very little discs as well. Like I said, for me its mostly a comfort thing.

I also have 26 I feel I need every single one

Putters
1- Zone for overstable approachs and drives
3-Wizards one for jump putts and drives and two for putting
1-Magic for anhyzers
Mids
1- Shockwave overstable drives
2- Buzz's one stable one straight
1- Squall Proline so anhyzers
Fairway
3- Eagles all differently beat
1- Underworld Anhyzers
1- Escape when I need more D then a Eagle but not as much as a driver
1- Firebird utility disc crazy stable shots
Drivers
1- Avenger SS rollers
1- Sidewinder Anhyzers
1- Vulcan longer Anhyzers
2- Surges control drivers
3- Destroyers different beat
2- Laces for big D depends on Wind
1- D4 long tailwind drives
I guess it depends on everyones comfort level most of my buddies have about the same amount of discs.

I carry a NutSac with 4-6 discs. 1 VP, 1 Ibex, 2 Ascents (1 stable and 1 OS) as the core of the bag and a rotating cast of other Vibrams for the other 2. I can cover all of my basic shots easily with that many discs and can cover most of my specialty shots just as easily. And I don't really want to haul around that one disc, for that one shot, from that one distance, with the wind blowing a specific way, that I may or may not throw once in every 5 rounds. Just personal preference.

24-25.

I play alone often, and if possible I'll play two discs. That means basically I'm carrying two sets of discs. It also allows me to compare different molds (or the same mold in different plastic/weight) head-to-head.

I will also go out and practice driving with 6 discs each of speed 6/7, 8/9, 10/11 or 12/13; but also carry a couple of mids and a putter or two in case I run into a friend who wants to play.

We also have an ongoing ace-race type of tournament where you throw 3 discs from each tee.

I have a fade tourney bag, but I only carry about 10 discs. I have a smaller bag, but It doesnt have enough storage space for me. I only carry a handful of discs because like others have mentioned when you have too many choices it makes it harder to select the right one. The highest speed in my bag is a speed 9. I have 3-4 fairway drivers, 3 mids, and 2 putters in my bag.

See signature. My mids, driving putters and Forces are locked down. The fairway slot is always changing though. I'm not exactly a minimalist, but it seems to work.

I play casual and competitive rounds with a Fade Crunch so I have to play kinda light. For most rounds I only throw 4 or 5 discs as they end up getting that special feeling and I lose confidence in my other discs unless I get into a shot that I've performed dozens of times on my home course.

On my home course I only use 5 or 6 discs for any round. After playing the same course hundreds of times, I know the lines I'm going to throw (save for trees hit and sloppy shots) and how to get out of areas I need to get out of, so there isn't a need to bring along my whole bag.

Discs on hand: 3 putters, 3 mids, 9 drivers. Most everything is understable with only 2 stable discs in the whole bag for when I know I need stability.

i keep 20 discs in my grip eq, 16 in the main pocket and 4 putters up top.

i have a dark blue eclipse anode and ion poking out of the putter pocket, with a soft neutron ion and a opaque proton ion hidden below.

in the main pocket i have amp, amp, volt, volt, FR shock, shock. from super understable to overstable those 6 discs cover any fw driver shot you could imagine.

for midranges i carry a domey proton vector, FR vector, neutron vector, eclipse axis, neutron axis, and three tangents to cover shots from overstable to understable.

i also bag a neutron anode and a roc3 for water/ risky shots, would love to drop the roc but i reeeallly hate losing my mvp stuff.

i think i carry the bare minimum to cover 'all' shots and my discs are all different from each other in slight increments, wouldnt take anything out of my bag, but ill be adding the new mvp stuff soon.