• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your max thumber distance?

What is your max thumbed distance?

• Zero, I don't throw them

Votes: 19 12.2%

Votes: 15 9.6%

Votes: 20 12.8%

Votes: 20 12.8%

Votes: 35 22.4%

Votes: 18 11.5%

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • 325+

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters
There was a fellow playing in the Open div. at the Fall Classic in Cottonwood that threw thumbers predominately on his drives who could reach close to, if not 400'.
While I was first learning to throw them, I threw a couple(or ten) thumber only rounds. I think my best throw was around 300'. I've since stopped throwing them off the tee for the most part, but still find use for them on approaches here and there. Thumbers are the turbo-putt of drives...

I'll throw a thumber if I have to, I don't like the way the disc feels coming out of the hand. I'd prefer to thow a tomahawk when I can, feels much more natural. I've gotten those out to 330 with a firebird, haven't tried anything faster than that really.

i can't throw a thumber without it leaving my hand like a wobbly pile of ****. don't know why. so thumber, maybe 200. tomahawk, probably 230-250.

Being fairly new to the game and having playing baseball my whole life my thumber shot is much better than my backhand. Most drives range between 225-250. Using a max weight firebird or Opto Line XXX

i throw thumbers off the tee a fair amount on shorter holes (under 300') of the appropriate shape. I throw firebirds exclusively for thumbers. I used to throw a lightweight firebird (147) for longer shots too but could never get the lightweight disc to be as consistent as i wanted even though it could bomb. I checked 275 since that's about the max i use them for these days.

i can't throw a thumber without it leaving my hand like a wobbly pile of ****. don't know why. so thumber, maybe 200. tomahawk, probably 230-250.

Think mine wobbles some too (OAT) causing a loss of distance with too fast of flip. Might work a bit on my release some more to clean it up, hoping to get to 275-300 with some tweaks. Pretty deadly though accuracy wise with the FAF FB. From 200-225 out it's pretty much a gimme up and in. Shoulder is too sore now though, damn shoulder.

I got a 10x KC Whippet out to about 240' once before I blew out my shoulder. Still missed the 15' putt for bird :doh:

For me it's in the 200-225 range on flat ground or slight incline, maybe on certain mountain courses with drastic elevation changes I can get longer but I picked up thumber and tomahawks for being able to hit wooded holes and escapes. Crazy enough some though with a baseball background might barely throw 200 forehand or backhand, give them an epic or something overstable and tell them to baseball throw and watch them start playing better than you. LOL

I can throw a thumber over 300' with my FAF Champ Firebird but I rarely choose to do so. I prefer to utilize overhand for skip shots, to get over obstacles & for short shorts when accuarcy is essential. Im much more accurate & consistently achieve more distance throwing tomahawk. I think Im better at tossing tomahawk than thumber because my tomahawk grip is very similar to my sidearm grip.

Latest posts