• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What makes a great disc golf course ?

How else would you define a "Great Course"? UDisc produces similar ratings to this site, with a somewhat different clientele. What courses draw players from far away, or are "must stop" courses for travelers? What rec players are compiling lists of "Great Courses", after playing several hundred, that differ significantly from these?

I agree that forced water carries, without options, aren't "best practices", particularly for everyday courses. But I feel there's difference between everyday courses, and great courses.

How else would you define a "Great Course"? UDisc produces similar ratings to this site, with a somewhat different clientele. What courses draw players from far away, or are "must stop" courses for travelers? What rec players are compiling lists of "Great Courses", after playing several hundred, that differ significantly from these?

I agree that forced water carries, without options, aren't "best practices", particularly for everyday courses. But I feel there's difference between everyday courses, and great courses.
As a private owner, you can do what you want and many players consider what you've done as great including me. The down side is that what private owners feel they can do is not necessarily ideal for good design principles on public courses. In fact, breaking conservative principles is what can make some feel a course is great. And when holes/courses are seen as great, the principles used on them are pointed to as "great" and mimicked on public courses where maybe they shouldn't be such as crossing fairways and island holes.

Personally, the courses I feel are great to play for me, are not necessarily ones I would design for clients because their audience and needs are different from mine. My concern is that not enough are designing for new people the manufacturers would like to attract to playing (like women and older players).

Our current base of players can be conflicted because making courses more appealing for lower skilled players means more crowds on the courses and dealing with "disc chargers." The tougher you make the courses, fewer lower skilled players will enjoy playing them and you'll get high fives from your peers for your tough design, especially when promising the park dept it's worth it to make an 8000+ ft course to attract tournaments.

But not just open long holes as is the effect of needing other challenges to the course to make them better.

Another thing they need is working baskets that are in okay working order, maintained with no broken or missing parts or at least replaced even if with non brand parts on some baskets like having to replace a fully rusty chain set or missing S hooks on a basket. This helps insure a great course. Also keeping the baskets the same or as close as the same as one can, do not replace a damaged basket with a different model like a Mach V for a modern Mach II to save money as much as a modern Mach II looks like a old cage Mach V they are slightly different baskets in more then just the Disc Cage height and how durable the baskets are. Also do not replace with a different brand entirely just because that is your favorite basket as that is not fair to people, thought some baskets are the exact same model just within in the same company with the other brands logo on the basket for a bit less.

As more and more of the good to great courses become semi private in that they are at state parks, county parks that you have to pay to play the idea that some of the funding go back to course maintenance as in a basket is not fully fixed then it will detract the course rating and in some places by quite a bit. Now some Sate/county parks have had bit natural disasters on the entire course and park, so the people are just waiting for enough funds to replace and fix everything at onceon th course.

I like to see water on courses, just not positioned aggressively if loss is likely, especially for rec players, even those who try the long tees. There should be a route they can take to avoid the water or at least cross a corner less than 50-60 feet across. Clear, shallow water, creek beds can be ideal as long as players can get to their discs. I look for those options during design but they're not as common as muddy, deeper creeks, some with steep banks.

If a player loses a disc for some reason, I'm hoping it's because of a riskier choice they made and not one I "forced" them to make.
I might have set the minimum 75 ft or so, but I think we're on the same page.

When the water is big like the ponds at Flyboy, there should be shorter tees to cut the corner. But every piece of property is unique, and not every situation allows for such optimal tee placements.

As a private owner, you can do what you want and many players consider what you've done as great including me. The down side is that what private owners feel they can do is not necessarily ideal for good design principles on public courses. In fact, breaking conservative principles is what can make some feel a course is great. And when holes/courses are seen as great, the principles used on them are pointed to as "great" and mimicked on public courses where maybe they shouldn't be such as crossing fairways and island holes.

Personally, the courses I feel are great to play for me, are not necessarily ones I would design for clients because their audience and needs are different from mine. My concern is that not enough are designing for new people the manufacturers would like to attract to playing (like women and older players).

Our current base of players can be conflicted because making courses more appealing for lower skilled players means more crowds on the courses and dealing with "disc chargers." The tougher you make the courses, fewer lower skilled players will enjoy playing them and you'll get high fives from your peers for your tough design, especially when promising the park dept it's worth it to make an 8000+ ft course to attract tournaments.

I just think you're off target, in a discussion about what makes a "Great Course". Public courses, designed for a wider range of players, are wonderful.....but I don't think they fit into the discussion. If people are designing public courses poorly---that's another issue.

We need courses for all skill levels. We need them to be the best they can be, for those skill levels. And for other users of the property. Those are considerations and compromises involved.

But it's a leap to call them "Great Courses".

But it's a leap to call them "Great Courses".
It may be a leap for you but not for those who love them. If the course challenges lower level players with a variety of throws and shooting a score in the 60s is a good score for them, it can be just as great as a much longer course that challenges you to shoot in the 60s.

Does popularity matter in the judgment of greatness? It's one thing if it's the only course around. But if it's the most popular in the middle of many other much longer and even similar length courses in the area, does that indicate greatness in relation to the others? My experience indicates that a well done shorter 18 among many others nearby such as Acorn in the Twin Cities or Woodland Greens at Highbridge will have more rounds played by all skill levels of players not just lower level players. I'm not necessarily crowning those courses great but many others might even though not on DGCR or UDisc.

They might like them, but I doubt they call them great. Particularly if they've played enough courses to make that distinction.

Hey, I'm a huge fan of Earlewood, a 4500' 18-holer in Columbia. Until this year, I played it more often than any other course. It's an excellent short course. But I wouldn't call it a "Great Course"....just great for what it is.

I get to spend time with a ride range of players, including beginners and casual players. I'm not knocking them. I'm also not a lot better than them. I'm just saying, when talking about "Great Courses", that's not the standard I'd use.

Popularity in a local area doesn't strike me as greatness. Many locals only play a few courses. A course that people will make long drives to, does. If you build a casual-level course and casual-level players often drive 2 hours to play it, when they have other options closer, I'd consider that.

Apologies, Chuck, but I think your argument against forced water carries has merit---but not necessarily in connection with Great Courses.

I think at the core, does one course with the same terrain mixture, location and amenities have to challenge the best players in the world to be great, i.e., at least 8000 ft? Or can another course designed within the same terrain but only 5000 feet and the same amenities be just as great and perhaps even considered greater because more players can enjoy it?

I think at the core, does one course with the same terrain mixture, location and amenities have to challenge the best players in the world to be great, i.e., at least 8000 ft?

Yep. Definitely. I think it should ALSO allow mere mortals to have fun, if it is to be great.

To pull one of your favorite tricks, I borrow from golf. Specifically, Golf Digest. "Resistance to scoring" seems to be the same as challenging the best players.

To arrive at our ranking of America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses, our panelists play and score courses on seven criteria:

SHOT VALUES
How well do the holes pose a variety of risks and rewards and equally test length, accuracy and finesse?

RESISTANCE TO SCORING
How difficult, while still being fair, is the course for a scratch player from the back tees?

DESIGN VARIETY
How varied are the holes in differing lengths, configurations, hazard placements, green shapes and green contours?

MEMORABILITY
How well do the design features provide individuality to each hole yet a collective continuity to the entire 18?

AESTHETICS
How well do the scenic values of the course add to the pleasure of a round?

CONDITIONING
How firm, fast and rolling were the fairways, how firm yet receptive were the greens and how true were the roll of putts on the day you played the course?

AMBIENCE
How well does the overall feel and atmosphere of the course reflect or uphold the traditional values of the game?

I think at the core, does one course with the same terrain mixture, location and amenities have to challenge the best players in the world to be great, i.e., at least 8000 ft? Or can another course designed within the same terrain but only 5000 feet and the same amenities be just as great and perhaps even considered greater because more players can enjoy it?

Good question. Flip City seems to please a lot of people.

I think that 5,000 course would have to have some pretty astounding features. I'm sure it's possible. I'd love to see it.

I do think a course can be great without catering to the top players. But it's going to have to cater to good players, at least the kind of players who will care enough to travel to play, and who play enough courses to recognize it as great.

The challenge for a shorter course is being all par-3s. Par-4s (and -5s) can add the variety of fairway shots that are different every time you play. Not essential, but that all-par-3 course is going to have to have something exceptional to make up for it.

Bucksnort doesn't seem to require distance to please it's fans, either. It apparently has a landscape unique enough to make up for it.

In the art world, the size of the painting doesn't matter. Otherwise, wall murals might be the only paintings that could be considered great. The simple NIKE logo might be one of the greatest commercial artworks ever.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program of greatness discussion.

The challenge for a shorter course is being all par-3s. Par-4s (and -5s) can add the variety of fairway shots that are different every time you play. Not essential, but that all-par-3 course is going to have to have something exceptional to make up for it.
This highlights the myopia of our DGCR cognoscenti. A 5000 ft course has mostly true par 4s, 5s and 6s, some with very few or no par 3s for players under 800 rating which includes many women, older players and kids. They can have significant multi-shot diversity every round on a well-designed course but many times the layout doesn't provide those interesting, shorter thrower, landing areas. You can play it with Super Class and have a similarly great multi-shot experience as they do. Point being, why can't this well designed course that challenges a different subset of players be considered great on its own merits?

The problem is this site is internally self congratulatory. Highly rated courses are great for those who play them and rate them. And that's fine for the target audience on this site. And of course this thread only contains comments from players on this site (duh). The problem is those who don't like courses where they lose discs are less likely to either rate the courses or rate them low perhaps because they may not want to seem like wimps, poor players or not financially in a good position to afford the loss. I suspect there are many rec players who have silently voted against courses with water losses simply by never going back to play where that occurs.

However, we know how much players hate to lose discs in whatever manner based on the number of lost disc posts, people going out swimming and stomping around to search, and people putting their number on the discs and good samaritans trying to return them. I haven't played ball golf in awhile but I don't recall hearing of an active community for finding and returning someone's golf ball. Of course, if you were required to forfeit your club to the pro shop each time you hit a ball in the drink, you would very quickly see ball golf courses with water hazards "dry up" faster than they are now.

I like to see water on courses, just not positioned aggressively if loss is likely, especially for rec players, even those who try the long tees. There should be a route they can take to avoid the water or at least cross a corner less than 50-60 feet across. Clear, shallow water, creek beds can be ideal as long as players can get to their discs. I look for those options during design but they're not as common as muddy, deeper creeks, some with steep banks.

I think if you go through the 100+ courses I've put in, many which have a 3.5+ rating here, you won't find any where there's a forced crossing where players either can't go around, can't play up to it and have a short carry across on the next throw, doesn't have a forward tee or drop zone you can proceed to and not throw across (Steady Ed - IDGC) or doesn't have water very close behind the pin. I've always been designing in ways where I hope every player wants to come back and play my layouts, especially those for their skill level, as if the financial survival of the course depended on it, even though very few do because there's little expectation of commercial viability in our sport (except in Maine mostly). If a player loses a disc for some reason, I'm hoping it's because of a riskier choice they made and not one I "forced" them to make.

So it's okay to have "water in play," but as a designer, please position it so the thrower optionally decides to take the risk of going in rather than the designer forcing a high risk loss beyond the skill level of even or highest level players who, as we've seen, cannot consistently avoid water penalties on tour courses. If they can't do it, why would you expect lower skilled players to reasonably do better?

you bold I like to see that too like an option to not play the entire water that the top amateur or Open Pro level player could do, or not as big as Pro level water distance but in such a way that one can take the layup if needed. I am not that big a thrower at 270-275 feet max with 280 feet being a good day.

Soemthing I do not want to see is the wall of foliage in the wild woods type of golf, I would rather see tight tunnels/gaps then the Wall of foliage. Lake Richmond state park near Aberdeen South Dakota is a good example of this, it was a tight tunnel until the guy doing the work died so the State Park then did not allow others outside the park people to do the mantiance work. All you had to do was sign the legal sheets made in 2000's that said no suing for injury or even rare event of death but the parks people were either too afraid to do so or too lazy, the older guy was grandfathered in from late 1990's.

Last edited:
i really appreciate that a lot of the best designers out there respond to the question "what makes a great course?" with "great for who?"

it would be nice to see a more consistent standard for labeling tees and courses overall with respect to gold, blue, white, red, etc. of course there are a lot of issues there but if we could get closer to that then it would be easier to say "course X is a great white-level course" and that would mean something.

i think we're still in a place where a lot of new designs haven't really decided what level course they are supposed to be. it might be because of what's available on the land or an inexperienced designer or disagreement among multiple parties involved or whatever. you're not going to please everyone all the time but what are the best compromises?

should we expect a designer to choose a tee that makes for a less exciting hole but closer adheres to the target level of the course?
for an area with no courses, should the first course be a red course? that makes sense but maybe the locals feel differently
for areas with lots of courses, should some of them be redesigned to adhere to a specific level?
is it within the purview of the PDGA to make a guideline of suggestions for course development aimed at cities and parks departments? does that exist and i don't realize? if so, could it be revised to be more helpful and have more rigor? would it help?

My favorite courses stand out not because of length of holes, variety of shot, etc. but by the way the showcase and use the natural biome. Some of my all time faves in no order:

Prickly Pines in Elizabeth, CO. You're playing through a scrubby pine forest in sort of foothilly terrain. Gorgeous course.

Papago Park in Phoenix, AZ. It's just a blast throwing around big ol saguaro cacti at baskets tucked in palo verde trees.

Aant'iyeik Park (current home course) Juneau, AK. The epitome of coastal rainforest golf-playing through the woods of 100'+ old growth spruce trees up and down steep slopes. Usually 40° and raining. Beautiful views of mountains and ocean from the 3 open holes on a nice day.

Etc.

None of these courses except Prickly Pines would rate as a "good" course by demanding DGCR standards (probably too easy for 900+ rated players or navigation/safety issues etc) but to me the seeing the best nature an area has to offer is super important.

But that's just me and I kind of suck at this game so take from it what you will.

Water hazards with forced (not optional) carries where your disc is likely unretrievable/lost make no sense for a course trying to appeal to a broader public and on pay-to-play courses trying to breakeven. At minimum, there should be should be tees that skirt or avoid the water. Change my mind.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would try to change your mind. Part of being a great course IMO is having multiple options to play and different layouts appealing to different levels of player. However to have water on the course and not use it as a risk/reward feature on at least one layout would be a huge shame. That delicious/hateful fear of throwing across/alongside water is one of the things that brings competitive people back over and over again, we want to be the masters of the course. We want to beat that water.

Here is a hole that some might LOVE. Personally I choose to skip it. I see nothing wrong with one out of 18 being 'a skipper' like that but anymore and I would avoid the course.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/6298/e74ca9ab_m.jpg

This one, however I like and will play. The pond is smaller, maybe 150 ft across. And a little error one way or the other and the disc just goes off to the side, not in the water. This water is shallower too so easy to wade after discs.

https://m.discgolfscene.com/courses/7152/546b8173ae25.jpg

Attachments

• e74ca9ab_m.jpg
    e74ca9ab_m.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 19
  • 546b8173ae25.jpg
    546b8173ae25.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 18
This highlights the myopia of our DGCR cognoscenti. A 5000 ft course has mostly true par 4s, 5s and 6s, some with very few or no par 3s for players under 800 rating which includes many women, older players and kids. They can have significant multi-shot diversity every round on a well-designed course but many times the layout doesn't provide those interesting, shorter thrower, landing areas. You can play it with Super Class and have a similarly great multi-shot experience as they do. Point being, why can't this well designed course that challenges a different subset of players be considered great on its own merits?

While we're at it, let's label all 8000 courses "Great" and avoid the debate. Because I'll bet that every course has somebody who thinks it's great. Sure, most of those somebodies have only played a handful of courses for perspective, but they know their course is great.

Any of those courses drawing sub-800s from far away, in any noticeable numbers?

Latest posts