• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What makes old discs start to "fingerprint"?

GoldenGoat

So I was looking through my disc stash and to my horror my first ever and favorite disc has started to "fingerprint". It's a CE Champion Classic Roc and its been sitting in my closet for about 6 months since I've retired it. It shouldn't really ever be that hot in the closet so I'm wondering what could have caused my disc to start fingerprinting?

As I understand it, older plastic is petroleum based. So as the plastic gets older, it breaks down and starts leaching oils out.

I think sunlight/light helps the process.

I get the transition from age that causes this, but what about fairly new plastic that has the same fingerprint-ish issue?
Maybe mix that has a higher level of plasticizers initially?
I've seen this brand new from Innova, Discmania, Kastaplast, and Gateway.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, so is there any way to restore the disc? Something I can put on it or at least something good to use to clean off the oil on the disc?

Also while trying to research more about this problem I learned of potentially hazardous "Phthalate plasticisers", does anyone know if they use these in the production of disc golf discs and if so does that mean that my disc has become a potential health hazard?

Also while trying to research more about this problem I learned of potentially hazardous "Phthalate plasticisers", does anyone know if they use these in the production of disc golf discs and if so does that mean that my disc has become a potential health hazard?

You shouldn't eat them..
There's also nothing I know of to reverse the process, so nothing can be done to "restore" them.

Would someone post a pic of what you are talking about plz? Fingerprint?

Old plastic gets a quality to it, almost dusty and slightly oily at the same time. Like talc. You touch the plastic and leave fingerprints on it.

You can run it through the dishwasher and it will remove the oily residue... the stamp may fade though.

I personally find that it provides excellent grip and would leave it as is... unless you are worried about the health hazards.

Latest posts