• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Putter Do You Use?

Aviar P&A, 168g. I have two of these (both the same color - that's important), and if I miss with the first, I pretend it didn't happen and throw the second.

My current favorite has got to be the good'ol DX aero. I'm still new to the sport and this putter just seems very forgiving. One thing I notice though is that it hangs in the air for what seems like forever,like it floats or something.

I use Discraft Putt'r in Elite Z plastic. It is comfortable like a catch disc and the plastic is firm, but grippy. I also carry a Pro Rhyno and a DX Aviar.

So how many of you prefer hard plastic or soft plastic for your putters? Or do you carry a soft and hard putter?

My preferance is definately soft putters. When they hit anything(trees, the ground, hills, the basket), they usually just fall, or stay put. When I did use hard plastic, it tended to "skip", or bounce off everything and anything. I carry 4 "putters" in my bag currently, and all are soft. 2 Blowflies, 1 omega ss, and a soft ryno. The only exception for putting that I use a harder disc is when I do a forehand flick putt, and I am now using the new Pig, which is pro plastic, but because of the type of disc it is a bit firmer.

So how many of you prefer hard plastic or soft plastic for your putters? Or do you carry a soft and hard putter?
For putting, hard. If the disc changes shape in your hand you'll get a less consistant release. That means more misses. Firm putters hold their shape.

I do have a softer one I use for some approach shots, though. They seem to be a bit better for shorter, "touch" approaches and beat up quicker so they get straighter and floater faster.

Hard Magnet.
( I can't really manage a push/jump putt because of the strain it puts on my elbow at the very end of the extension)
I guess I don't actually putt at all, but make short throws.

The Magnet floats way more than the soft discs and I like that. I line up (RHBH) with my right foot perpindicular to the basket, take a couple false tosses to feel what the wind is doing on the short reach back and that let it go on a flat to slight anhyzer line at the 3rd chain link above the basket rim. This would be for a 15- 30 foot throw. Longer throws, say out to 60', I increase the anhyzer and the height of my hand at the moment of release.

A little bit of pressure from my thumb at release gives the disc a fair amount of spin and when I'm grooving feels like a dart coming out my hand.

This method does have the shortcoming of...if I don't hit the basket, I'm looking at 10-15 feet and I'm still not perfect from that range.

Putting will always remain tough and everyone misses and goes through streaks. I do think having at least 2 of the putters you use is a good idea.

Last edited:
I started out with an Aviar DX P&A, which i did and still do like. Having said that, I have found that a pro pig in 175 g helps me with my biggest issue with longer distance putts: strength control. I have a tendency to over throw on longer putts when using an aviar or warlock (another putter I like), but the pig has helped me with this.
Recently, I went out to play a round and found to my dismay that I had left the putters out of my bag (173 aviar, 175 pig and prototype of the new 170 voodoo) because I had been putting at home with my kids. I was left with the following options: drivers (no thank you), a skeeter, an element x or a demon. To my surprise, putting with the demon 173g worked out very well and i now find myself using it more and more as my main putter.

Which putters...

I use an 175 DX Aviar P&A Primarily, and for balance(Understability Options) I use a 150 Magic. With said discs being the papa bear and the baby bear, I guess I round it out with a 170 Aero moma bear..., thus covering a decent ranch of stability and weight. All of this being said, I recently got a Voodoo in a players pack, and absolutely love the way it feels, and am pretty sure its going to soon replace the Aviar, as it fades the same but is much more ergonomic and a little faster...

i use a ching juju putter and it works pretty well. i had a discraft banger gt before but i think this was a major improvement over the other

I started with a DX Aviar 150g, way too light for me. I switched to my 179g Shark and putted great with that for several weeks. If I use it to approach, I usually finish the round with it. However, I now putt with a Millenium Omega Super Soft 175g. I love it. I love the way it feels, the way it grips, the way it flies. I just ordered some other putters so I can practice on the yard basket, all 175g, but different plastics and makers. I'll check back in a few weeks with my lowdown.

I started with a DX Aviar 150g, way too light for me. I switched to my 179g Shark and putted great with that for several weeks. If I use it to approach, I usually finish the round with it. However, I now putt with a Millenium Omega Super Soft 175g. I love it. I love the way it feels, the way it grips, the way it flies. I just ordered some other putters so I can practice on the yard basket, all 175g, but different plastics and makers. I'll check back in a few weeks with my lowdown.

throwing a 150g aviar is setting up yourself for frustration at the course. if you like how it feels pick up one 165+

i started with a p and a champion orange jelly aviar. i still use it as a mid range.
love that disc and i dont think they are going to make it anymore. but any way i went to a rhyno, liked it. moved on to a discraft banger, liked it. but then i found or i mean they made the pig. at 175 i have not felt more confident with my putting. i shot a 4 down. that is good for me. it is all about bangin home those short shots. anyway love the pig tossed with some anhyzer. more distance more ani. love it and i suggest it to all, or whoever likes the rhyno.
have fun all

Love my Discraft D Magnets. I have three 170 - 172 g. All are quite beaten in. They are very consistent when I am consistent. LOL! I occasionally use a Discraft Banger GT for long approaches.

i use a soft magnet...i love it, i was putting with a midrange before i got it, and it literally took a couple strokes off my game, i guess it matches me better for putting...only time i don't putt with it is when there is some decent wind blowing...

I keep coming back to my Star Coyote. Its not a putter, but it just works great for putting.

Latest posts