• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What the hell is a one finger grip?

I use that grip, FH, Thug. It is way better for my game. It added distance and control at the same time, for me.

For forehand, your longest finger is the one that will generate the most snap. So if your hands are small enough to utilize your middle finger as the fulcrum or pivot point, you would be silly not to. Simple leverage. Middle finger does the work for me, the index finger just steadies the disc for my grip. Also is the pinch point, disc between thumb pad and interior portion of the index finger. No slop, no flop.

Thug, I'll give your two finger technique a try. It looks like your fingers area bit longer than mine though. You can't argue against what works for someone though. I can get drivers out to just over 300 with two straight fingers. How far can you throw it?

Anothe forehand question is where does Ricky Wysocki get his power from. He can forehand it a long ways with very little what I call windup compared to others. Is he just that much stronger?

It's all in the wrist.

Seriously, watch some Ultimate Frisbee footage.

Those guys bomb FH's effortlessly.

Smooth is far, Jakal-San

Thug, I'll give your two finger technique a try. It looks like your fingers area bit longer than mine though. You can't argue against what works for someone though. I can get drivers out to just over 300 with two straight fingers. How far can you throw it?

Anothe forehand question is where does Ricky Wysocki get his power from. He can forehand it a long ways with very little what I call windup compared to others. Is he just that much stronger?

Hahaha man, my toes are just as bad. Long digits since birth. A 300+ ft forehand is more than enough to get the job done, but it is really fun to achieve the distance, no doubt about that. If I really try to juice it, I can get forehands out into the upper 300s, lower 400s with the right tailwind assistance hahaha. I have a really stupid build, though. 5'5", 126 lbs, and my arms are three inches longer than my legs are. To answer your Wysocki question, he just waits for the right time and EXPLODES. All timing and technique. He basically does a one step. I can get mine out about 350ft that way. If you really want to see some ridiculously effortless forehand technique, watch some old Scott Stokely or Timmy Gill videos. My forehand is pretty much a hybrid of these two legends. Which is funny, considering they are both well over a foot taller than I am hahaha. The wrist does a lot of the work in a forehand throw, it is where the majority of the spin comes from. So more wrist = more spin = more accuracy. Strength is not the attribute you want for forehanding. Explosively is. To quote Bruce Lee, "be like water".

I use that grip, FH, Thug. It is way better for my game. It added distance and control at the same time, for me.

Hell yeah dude, I am glad! It is not for everyone, but when it works, it works. I push that grip on everybody that I teach, from my 8 year old nephew to my 6'9" ogre of a buddy. Without the right grip, trying to throw forehand is redundant. To quote Pirelli tires, "power is nothing without control".

Last edited:
I used a one finger forehand grip for a few years. I switched back to a stacked two finger grip. It was a hard transition & my forehand actually got worse at first. After awhile I got the hang of the two finger grip. My distance has improved a little but my accuracy has improved a lot. I roll my wrist a lot less. I feel I can control the flight plate a lot more with two fingers.

I've tried that grip THUG. Just can't do it. I might as well take off my shoe and throw it instead, it would probably go farther.

It actually feels way more floppy when I hold it like that, sounds dumb, but it does.

Ditto. Eating with chopsticks feels more natural than using that grip to FH for me.

Ditto. Eating with chopsticks feels more natural than using that grip to FH for me.

Maybe because you are used to something else entirely. If you give it time, it might click. No guarantees, though. I would give it a legit chance if forehands are a big part of your game, or even if you do not forehand often but would like to implement them effectively, as once it starts to feel natural, you will not find a more effective forehand grip. It is actually really comfy once you get it down, because unlike the pistol grip, it does not torque your fingers laterally. Also, it uses the pad of your middle finger as the principle contact point instead of the side portion of it. Not to mention, the wrist likes to move up and down more than left and right. My grip puts the disc in line with the up and down motion. Makes it really easy to integrate the wrist, especially for short arm shots, which are from the elbow out. Not to mention, it accommodates all rim sizes. The same grip I use to throw something like a Buzzz...
1f7rd4.jpg

mv5ekp.jpg

...is the same grip I use to throw something like a Torrent. Does it get any easier? Or better?

Your thumb looks longer than my any of my fingers. lol..

I am a freak, what can I say?:D

I can break my grip down really easily. Imagine you are flicking somebody off. Now, place the disc on your swear finger and pinch it between your thumb and index finger. Get the other two little fingers out of the way. Boom.

Last edited:
So I was playing around, and I had to show a one finger forehand grip as a comparison hahahahaha. Sooooo floppy. Do people really use grips like this? If so, how?

2q84v3r.jpg

@Thug

I tried your grip while practicing drives yesterday and am pretty sure I added another 40 foot to my drive. My front yard is officially too short for my drives now. Thanks +1,000,000