• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What type of Leagues do you like or would you like to see?

IllCheez

We are trying to start up a weekly leauge and we are trying to think of what kind I'm looking for others input and ideas of which way to go.

We are thinking of a random draw doubles or straight singles. 10$ per week.
5$ to the pot. 1$ to ace pool. 1$ to course fund. 3$ to cover food and beer. After each week beer, soda and either burgers or brats will be served to leauge players.

Anyone have any thoughts? Would you play?

WOW! Sounds like fun. I play in 3 different leagues and they are the same... $5 weekly entry fee - $3 payout, $1 ace fund, $1 to the club. One club has 3 full ace pots capped at $250, another has 3 full capped at $200, and the other is brand new has one capped at $50 for now until more is built up. The two more mature clubs have over $3700 and $2000 respectively in club money, so when we do cookouts for cleanup days and such, the club buys everything required. We're about to start on a 2nd course soon and will split the cost of the course with the city...

Membership tournaments for each kick off the year and range from $15 to $25 and that gets you a bag tag and eligibility for the ace funds.

GOOD LUCK!

One league I played in for a while did a doubles round on a weekend morning every week (two pools with random draw from each), and a singles bag tag round on one weeknight in the spring, summer and fall when there was enough light. The great thing about the bag tag round was that it only cost $1 for the ace pool each week plus the yearly fee for a tag ($10-15). That got a lot of the less serious players out since it wasn't the same people taking their money every week, the competition was all for bag tag numbers. Many people would make side bets with friends or card mates, but you could play for just that dollar if you wanted.

I ran a CTP week where each group was basically vying for 1/18th of the pool of their league fees on each hole. It went pretty well and I think people had a lot of fun.

1 disc week where you have to choose 1 disc to play the entire round.

Putters only round where you can carry as many putters as you want as long as they are on my pre-approved list of putters.

Stableford scoring system which is a golf format. 6 points for an ace, 3 for a birdie, 1 for a par, -1 for a bogey, and -2 for a double bogey or worse. It rewards aggressiveness.

I do $6 entry fee $4 payout and/or sidegames at my discretion, $1 towards seasonal trophies and prizes, $1 to the course funds (which I will end up doing a landscape improvement project with), and the always optional $1 ace pool.

Sounds like fun harr. The only place I disagree with you is on making the ace pool optional. It adds more hassle keeping track of who paid in and how much each person owes for the day. It also leads to extra whining from regulars when someone hits a big ace pot after not paying in for a while.

OP:
I would drop the 'food and beer' title and make it 'food and drinks' instead. It sounds more friendly to anyone who doesn't drink, and keeps you safe from the law.

Great idea. That would be alot of fun. Where might this be located and what day of the week?
Hopefully the food and drinks are optional. If it had to be $10 each time some might refrain from going.

I love helping to run a handicap league because I love spreadsheets. We also do $5 = $2 to payout, $2 ace pool (capped at $150) and $1 to the club.

One day if I ever have time, I'm going to go in the opposite direction and try to start a match play league. Strictly head-to-head match play, if I can talk enough people into it. All this easy-going doubles and handicapped singles is fun, but it's time for blood.

But back to the subject, I think random-draw doubles of some sort is the time-tested formula for drawing a lot of people of various skill levels, in a not-too-serious format.

One day if I ever have time, I'm going to go in the opposite direction and try to start a match play league. Strictly head-to-head match play, if I can talk enough people into it. All this easy-going doubles and handicapped singles is fun, but it's time for blood.

But back to the subject, I think random-draw doubles of some sort is the time-tested formula for drawing a lot of people of various skill levels, in a not-too-serious format.

I wonder how it would work to combine bag tags with match play. You could either seed it so that the top two tags play each other and on down, or do it randomly. I do love match play events, I've had a blast at all the ones I've played so far.

One league I played in for a while did a doubles round on a weekend morning every week (two pools with random draw from each), and a singles bag tag round on one weeknight in the spring, summer and fall when there was enough light. The great thing about the bag tag round was that it only cost $1 for the ace pool each week plus the yearly fee for a tag ($10-15). That got a lot of the less serious players out since it wasn't the same people taking their money every week, the competition was all for bag tag numbers. Many people would make side bets with friends or card mates, but you could play for just that dollar if you wanted.

bingo!

Sounds like fun harr. The only place I disagree with you is on making the ace pool optional. It adds more hassle keeping track of who paid in and how much each person owes for the day. It also leads to extra whining from regulars when someone hits a big ace pot after not paying in for a while.

To prevent players who don't chip in as much from stealing the pot, I've implemented a sort of "Ace Insurance" type fund.

Players may contribute $1 on any given league night for the Ace Fund. When a player hits an ace, he is awarded a % of the pot equal to the number of occasions he contributed.

For example:
Player A has contributed 7 times over the course of 10 league nights. Player A records an ace on the 10th night. The pot is at $50. Player A will receive 70% or $35.

Last edited:
I wonder how it would work to combine bag tags with match play. You could either seed it so that the top two tags play each other and on down, or do it randomly. I do love match play events, I've had a blast at all the ones I've played so far.

We used to run a single-elimination-bracket, match-play tournament at Earlewood. It was intense.

My thoughts on a league are sort of along the lines you're talking of. Probably start by ranking people by ratings, and having top 2 play, next 2 play, etc. After that, keeping won-lost records for everyone and each week, top-2 play, next-2 play, etc. It would amount to a sort of parity scheduling, and a really tough chore to stay on top.

But there are a lot of disc golfers who aren't that intensely competitive, so it wouldn't be a first choice for an area's league play. Only for an area that already has other leagues running.

We used to run a single-elimination-bracket, match-play tournament at Earlewood. It was intense.

My thoughts on a league are sort of along the lines you're talking of. Probably start by ranking people by ratings, and having top 2 play, next 2 play, etc. After that, keeping won-lost records for everyone and each week, top-2 play, next-2 play, etc. It would amount to a sort of parity scheduling, and a really tough chore to stay on top.

But there are a lot of disc golfers who aren't that intensely competitive, so it wouldn't be a first choice for an area's league play. Only for an area that already has other leagues running.

I was having some similar thoughts about attracting players and building a field, that's why I suggested the connection to bag tags which seem to motivate competition a little. I love the idea of a W-L record, that definitely has bragging rights, and makes for really quick movement to the right place in the spectrum of skill levels. If you win a bunch against weak players you'll be playing against the top players and vice-versa.

....and I like the idea of including bag-tags.

I'm not a bag-tag fan; around here people throw them in every tournament, and all the tag you have means is that you were good last weekend. Much better to take a tag in a face-to-face battle, and keep it until someone takes it from you in a face-to-face battle. If they can.

Oh yeah I forgot... we do singles during the week and doubles on weekends. Usually Pro-Am or Pro/Pro-Am/Am depending on who shows up.

To fix the problem of low tags not showing up which makes it really suck when you have 2nd best round and walk away with tag #21, one league we have uses a QR code (scanned via smarphone) show you where you stand that week. 15 guys show up, #1-#15 are assigned and previous #1 who didn't show up is now #16. Problem solved. Website also tracks all scores and ranks. Separate "challenge" tag for trading during non-league events solve the problem the traditionalist have with no losing you tag for not playing. Best of both worlds.

one league we have uses a QR code (scanned via smarphone) show you where you stand that week. 15 guys show up, #1-#15 are assigned and previous #1 who didn't show up is now #16. Problem solved. Website also tracks all scores and ranks. Separate "challenge" tag for trading during non-league events solve the problem the traditionalist have with no losing you tag for not playing. Best of both worlds.

Does everyone have their own QR? What website do you use for this?

all of our tag matches are scored for match play. That way when we play our regular league rounds, you can also compete for bag tags competitively after blowing-up on a hole or two. It works real well.

Latest posts