• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was the first disc golf disc that you threw?

A 169g bright yellow X Cyclone. Pulled my sword and went hard left about 75 ft. Instantly hooked.

Champion Valkyrie my brother in law let me borrow. First course he took me to was Rennaisance (nice starter course right?) got it about 150-175 on a forehand.

It had to have been either a Discraft magnet or cyclone. But it may have been a ROC possibly. Either way it was the summer of 97'

These were the first type of golf specific disc that I used. Before that it was "catch" Frisbees. We 1st threw them at a course (West Park) because we bought them at the course from the dude in the van. After the Midnight Flyers and Kittyhawks I gravitated to Discraft, and also favored the Phantom line. I think that we got them out to around 200', but it was ok because the holes were alot shorter back then, for the most part.

picture.php

Midnight Flyer for me too, more than likely got it from the same dude in the van.(Tom Monroe) Different course( UAH campus, Huntsville Al.) the holes were barrels with a U cut in front and carpet hanging over back. Later they changed to culverts with a post in the center. Those things were cool, no questions ask, it was either in or out. I'm not sure how far they flew, but it was a lot farther than a Wham-o 141 super sport.:) The first modern golf disc was an Aero,with that beveled edge it looked like it could go a country mile.

Mine would be a Midnight Flyer #4, probably in either '80 or '82 at college [USM], on an object course. Kinda fuzzy on the details at this point.
In fall '02 threw a Lightning #1 Driver, my first "true" golf disc.

A beat up Blue Shark my buddy lent me for my intro round with some co-workers. Probably went 100 feet. Was the beginning of a beautiful friendship with DG...

Wham-O 181 gram on a home-made course at 20th Street of Ft. Sanders in Knoxville back in the day at UT ... around 77' or 78'. Wasn't aware of any metal disc catchers back then ... and didn't care! Wham-O was all there was back then!

Jumped right in buying a Hammerhead, Panther, Cobra, Raven, Stingray, ROC, bullet XD and V-chains Avair. All DX, one of each model they had at the store that day. Started at Tradewinds park in Ft Lauderdale, Fl sometime in the 90's.

They are all long gone. I may still have the Stingray.

Friend convinced me to go played and let me use an Innova DX Wolf and a Discraft Hawk. Not sure which I threw first - but didn't throw either well. He gave me the Wolf which I used for a short time for putting. Stopped at Meijers leaving the Park that day and purchased an 11x KC Teebird & an 11x KC Banshee (I still have both).

DX Cheetah then a DX Birdie. My dad bought 3 of each, for me, my brother, and him, about 13 years ago. Played quite a few rounds together over the summer before my dad and brother got bored with it. I brought a friend along when my brother didn't want to go, and still get a few rounds in together each year when we have time.

I fv<king hated those discs after maybe 3 rounds. The Cheetah is so inconsistent and a massive POS, and the Birdie feels like a brick in your hand(pre-thumbtrac version, although they both suck...) I saw what the other guys were throwing and how much better and farther they could throw. So I bought myself a Valk and a Rhyno, and my best friend went with a Teebird and an Aviar. We each probably threw only those two discs for over 5 years before finally getting really into it and getting small bags and carrying 5-10 discs. Then just more and more from there... Trying to make sure I never go over 10 molds, but I usually carry 15 so I have backups of the discs I can't play a course without.

Last edited:
A friend gave me a Champ. Valkyrie, an old Pro Leopard, an old KC Pro Cheetah, and two bar stamped Pro Teebirds to try out. I can't remember which one I threw first, but I liked the Teebirds the best.

I threw a dx cheetah for a few years before I threw any other disc golf discs.

171 star boss my nephew gave me to use, played with them at Kiwanis in Morristown. hit every darn tree in the woods trying to throw backhand like they were. went back a few weeks later and threw forehand and fell in love with the game. since then I have learned to throw backhand and that old beat in star boss they gave me is still the disc I throw more than any disc I have.

My first 2 disc that I started out with were a Pro-D Buzzz Mid. and Pro -D Challenger Putter. I loved the Challenger mold from day 1 but my relationship with the Buzzz was rocky for quite some time. I eventually gave away my original Buzzz and switched to a King Cobra and Champion Panther for my mids. Then one day I happened to find a Chrystal Buzzz with no ink while playing a round and tossed it in my bag. I've been throwing it more and more lately.