• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] What weight Star TL should I get?

The Bard

Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a super straight driver and it looks like the Star TL is the one I should go for.

About me: I throw my new 167 Star Sidewinder an average of 325. (this disc is too unstable for me for reliable straight shots). I live in Colorado, so the altitude as you know makes the discs fly a little more overstable. I plan on working on my form a little bit so I should start seeing a little distance improvement and control so I would want something I can "grow into" (is that even possible for disc golf discs??? lol).

Thanks a lot!

Probabaly around 168 to 170. I personally threw the lighter ones, favorite was a 164. They acted like the older CE TL's a little more. But, for straight duties try the weight I listed. It should take a long time to beat understable enough for true turnover shots. With your power, they'll barely flip up flat if they flip at all. Should be what you're looking for. If it does though, move up a few grams if you ever decide to replace it.

Edit, glong beat meh!

A star TL in the mid 160s is what you are looking for. If you are looking for a disc that you will "grow in to" I would check out a DX Teebird. They are prob more than you want right now but will eventually beat in to the sweet spot.

My other drivers besides the 167 Star SideWinder are 170-172. (Z Predator, Ch StarFire, Ch Teebird). These weights were picked after speaking at length with Blake T @ discgolfreview.com. When I talked to him maybe 4 years ago, I was just starting to play a lot more and so I started to buy some new discs to have a few for different shots. So those were based on my ability 4 years ago.

I've been throwing a 171 Champ Teebird and it's been really reliable for me for those 4 years and I'm never caught saying "that wasn't what I expected...." :). No noticeable turn and then fades predictably a decent amount at the end. Just looking for something straighter now.

In that case a TL will work great for you. I use a 164 star and its my go to straight or turnover driver.

I love the TLs and currently have 3 in my bag. The first is a 169 and have been using it for about 2 years with great success. It has taken a lot of abuse, though it doesn't look like it has and recently has turned over ever so slightly. Give it full power on a straight throw and it might head off to the right a bit, RHBH. So I got a 175 TL with the idea of beating it in a bit and using that for my controlled straight or slightly overstable shots. Then I just picked up a light 167 TL which is new and will allow me to use it some time for straight shots. I love the control and distance I can get with one. 350 feet of controllable distance without having to use a faster speed disc is definately a plus in my game!