• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What won't Gateway Stamp

If you guys want Nike in the sport somebody just needs to start hot stamping big swooshes on their discs. It'd probably be cheaper for Nike to just outright buy gateway than to sick their legal team on them.

Your posts are losing a lot of cred lately. Wtf?

Maybe you've been huffing the out-gassing of overmolds too much lately?

Making money off of art is a relatively new phenomenon and one that looks to be ending due in large part to internet piracy. Most of the world's art is probably the product of patronage and the term "starving artist" should ring a bell. All I'm saying is if you can make money off your art enjoy it while you can and while you're able to defend your IP in the courts. Even the best lawyers are powerless to prevent IP theft from the Chinese for example so it's a thing until it isn't. Don't confuse en vogue with conventional.

Ben Folds has spoken a bit about this stuff:
AVC: You never felt like burning CDs was stealing?

BF: Yeah, I've always been fine with it; I let people know that right up front. I feel bad for record companies now. No matter what kind of karma they had coming to them, I still feel bad about how they have to scrap to make a living, and how many of my friends have been laid off. [...] It's not a pretty place. But having said that, I also know how much I made from royalties from record sales alone. It's not very much. Most artists would be surprised at how much money they make from selling records. So the question becomes "Hundreds of thousands of people will listen to your music, but they'll be stealing it from your record company," and you say, "Well, what does that mean to me?" Nothing. Really, nothing. That aspect of my business didn't make that much, so I don't care. Metallica said that they care, and maybe they were making more off of record sales, I don't know. But all those artists who signed those petitions to stop people from stealing their music, well, maybe they should have checked to see how much they were making from royalties first. But it doesn't bother me, I'd rather have the hundreds of thousands of people hear my music. [Laughs.] To me, having a record company is the way you look famous and important, to let people know that you're sanctioned by "the man," and when you go play gigs, it's like "as seen on TV," that kind of thing. But I know that stealing music has been bad for people, I'm not going to say I'm happy for it, but it's not a bad thing for music. It's a bad thing for the music industry. And those two things are different.

You mean like Reptilian's Lizard? Lol

Well I don't think gateway cares if someone is stamping a wizard with a lizard head on it. Hence this thread...

What about the lizard jump man. That's double layered right there! Theft on theft?

I was just talking about the stamp where they took off the cool "Bret Hart Goggles" wizard's head and gave him an alligator one, and changed the "W"to an "L" hahahahaha.

Maybe you've been huffing the out-gassing of overmolds too much lately?

Making money off of art is a relatively new phenomenon and one that looks to be ending due in large part to internet piracy. Most of the world's art is probably the product of patronage and the term "starving artist" should ring a bell. All I'm saying is if you can make money off your art enjoy it while you can and while you're able to defend your IP in the courts. Even the best lawyers are powerless to prevent IP theft from the Chinese for example so it's a thing until it isn't. Don't confuse en vogue with conventional.

Ben Folds has spoken a bit about this stuff:

Lol. This example isnt even the same thing at all but a similar problem within those who are in the music trade sure.

Dont be stupid and think the stealing of IP by the chinese is a good move. Those products are still seen as knockoffs and dont have value like the real ones nor the quality.

Theres a lot more to IP outside of just plain art and to say what you are is pretty ignorant. Have you ever created anything?

what's called intellectual property—everything from trade secrets and proprietary products and parts to movies and music and software.

It's a growing threat—especially with the rise of digital technologies and Internet file sharing networks. And much of the theft takes place overseas, where laws are often lax and enforcement more difficult. All told, intellectual property theft costs U.S. businesses billions of dollars a year and robs the nation of jobs and lost tax revenues.

Facts and Figures
The Research: Facts and Figures Illustrate the Extent of Intellectual Property Theft
Not only is the United States the wealthiest country on Earth, but it is also the world's greatest producer of intellectual property. American artists, entrepreneurs, inventors, and researchers have created a nation with a rich cultural fabric. Every day, Americans can avail themselves of consumer goods, entertainment, business systems, health care and safety systems and products, and a national defense structure that are the envy of the world. It is frequently said that the American imagination knows no bounds, and that is probably true. In fact, the U.S. Patent Office recently issued its eight millionth patent (Cyber Attacks and Intellectual Property Theft, Defense Tech, August 22, 2011). The U.S. Copyright Office has issued more than 33.6 million copyrights to date (U.S. Copyright Office). The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Intellectual Property Center has calculated the worth of intellectual property in the United States as being between $5 trillion and $5.5 trillion (Counterfeiting and Piracy: How Pervasive Is It?, Electrical Contractor magazine, 2008, retrieved November 12, 2011).

The role of intellectual property in the U.S. economy is undisputed. It accounts for half of all exports, for example (Counterfeiting and Piracy: How Pervasive Is It?, Electrical Contractor magazine). Unfortunately, counterfeiting and piracy costs the U.S. economy more than $250 billion in lost revenue and 750,000 jobs every year, according to one estimate (Counterfeiting and Piracy: How Pervasive Is It?, Electrical Contractor Magazine). Up to one-third of software products and music CDs are thought to be fake (Counterfeit Goods and Their Potential Financing of International Terrorism, Volume 1, Issue 1, University of Michigan Journal of Business, January 2008).
More than 250,000 more people could be employed in the U.S. automotive industry if it weren't for the trade in counterfeit parts (Counterfeit Goods and Their Potential Financing of International Terrorism). According to the Council of State Governments (Intellectual Property Theft: An Economic Antagonist, September 7, 2011), the U.S. economy loses $58 billion each year to copyright infringement alone—crimes that affect creative works. That includes $16 billion in the loss of revenue to copyright owners and $3 billion in lost tax revenue. Furthermore, the problem is transnational: The U.S. Department of Commerce puts the value of fake products—such as CDs, DVDs, software, electronic equipment, pharmaceuticals, and auto products—at five to seven percent of world trade (Protect Your Intellectual Property booklet, U.S. Department of Commerce).

Many people think of intellectual property theft as a victimless crime. However, many Americans are hurt or injured each year by faulty products or made sick by fake or improperly prepared or labeled drugs. While actual numbers of injuries are hard to come by, it's important to note that counterfeit drug sales in the U.S. were expected to amount to more than $75 billion in 2010 (Counterfeit Drugs: Real Money, Real Risk, Wellescent.com, retrieved November 11, 2011). Worldwide, illegal drug sales amounted to an estimated $320 billion in 2010 (Wellescent.com).

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration estimates 15 percent of the pharmaceuticals that enter the United States each year are fakes, with that number having increased 90 percent since 2005 (Counterfeit Drugs: Real Money, Real Risk, Wellescent.com). Some are manufactured domestically, but more than 75 percent of these drugs come from India (Counterfeit Drugs: Real Money, Real Risk, Wellescent.com). Frequently, online pharmacies that distribute fake drugs purport to be located in Canada, but a recent study conducted at the University of Texas found that of 11,000 online sites that claimed to located there, only 214 were actually Canadian (Counterfeit Drugs: Real Money, Real Risk, Wellescent.com). According to an article published on the Secure Pharma Chain Blog on March 22, 2008 (Counterfeit Pharmaceutical Statistics, Secure Pharma Chain Blog), 60 percent of all counterfeit drugs have no active ingredients, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns that "even a small percentage of counterfeit drugs in the drug supply can pose significant risks to thousands of Americans" (FDA: Drugs: FDA Initiative To Combat Counterfeit Drugs, retrieved November 11, 2011). Moreover, counterfeit drugs are commonly made and distributed by criminal gangs (Bad Medicine in the Market, AEI Outlook Series, Institute for Policy Research, American Enterprise Institute, retrieved November 11, 2011).

Shoddy counterfeit products, including airbags, also put American drivers at risk. According to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, fake car parts cost the U.S. auto industry $12 billion each year (Counterfeit Culture: Ripped-off Consumer Good: The Top 10 List, CBCNews, cbc.ca, retrieved November 11, 2011). The Anti-Counterfeit Products Initiative estimates that counterfeit electrical products valued at $1 billion, many of them shoddy and not manufactured to U.S. safety standards, enter the United States each year (Working With Confidence: Counterfeits, CounterfeitsCanKill.com, retrieved November 11, 2011).

Intellectual property theft hurts everyone. Artists and performers lose the income that is rightfully theirs, corporations lose money and pass the additional costs along to consumers, and people may be hurt by shoddy goods used in the manufacture of cars and airplanes or be made ill by counterfeit drugs. Governments at all levels suffer from the loss in tax revenue and programs suffer. People are hurt when crime escalates in the neighborhood, the result of profits made by gangs that traffic in counterfeit goods, providing them to retailers at hefty markups. Intellectual property theft is a very serious crime.

Last edited:
If you guys want Nike in the sport somebody just needs to start hot stamping big swooshes on their discs. It'd probably be cheaper for Nike to just outright buy gateway than to sick their legal team on them.

I remember talking to Uli at Worlds in 2010 and him showing me a ce leopard with an air jorden stamp on it. Not quite the Nike swoosh but it looked cool.

Coincidentally, a photographer tried suing Nike over the Jordan logo. Link The case was dismissed.

What a dummy. If he had a legitimate claim one would think that he would of pursued litigation decades ago. I'm not surprised one bit that the case got thrown out.

I make my living off of 1's and 0's, which is a bit different than graphic art, but IP rights are a polarizing subject matter to us programmers. While we want to be paid for the work we do, IP laws threaten the actual security of our nation. When someone you love 'smart car' is hacked and driven into a telephone pole because the software dev team did not implement correct security because of 'IP', your all's idea may change.
By the way, this is not idle speculation, there have already been 'white hats' whom have demonstrated the ability to take over vehicles though the onboard cell phone.

I listen to lots of indie music; I buy the product and I do not allow others to copy it. I do this as I wish to be a patron to the artists, not out of any legal sense.
Yes, mathematical algorithms are different from some of Zam's fine artwork, but the current legal interpretation...ok, more like the current legal acid trip that the judges are on, seems to think that different ways of stringing together 1's and 0's somehow is I.P. worth sacrificing safety, as well as putting us a decade behind Russia and China on security.
The reason I put all this here is that the IP argument goes way beyond someones art on a disc.

Yes, I jumped even farther off topic. This whole thread probably should be moved to the water cooler.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Just saw on Facebook they'll do Trailer Park Boys too...Of course I can't seem to figure out who owns the copyright to that show.

I asked my graphic artist buddy what happens when the lawyers notice the rather flagrant use of copy righted material. He said they wait until a certain profit margin is reached (not sure how they know that) and then move in when it has become cost effective to take legal action which is typically roughly the amount needed to bankrupt the offending company.

What little I know of copyright law it appears to me they've managed to violate the copyrights to Castle Rock Entertainment, Disney, 20th Century Entertainment, Procter & Gamble, Nike. Gateway better have some excellent lawyers on retainer...

I really want someone to take their Wizard stamp and copy the hell out of it just so we can see how Gateway would react...

-Dave

I don't understand why everybody's trying to copy gateways hot stamp. They wouldn't care less. What would do it would be Innova making an exact replica of the wizard mold, call it the Enchanter, and sell that. Then they may have an issue with it.

I don't understand why everybody's trying to copy gateways hot stamp. They wouldn't care less. What would do it would be Innova making an exact replica of the wizard mold, call it the Enchanter, and sell that. Then they may have an issue with it.

IMHO...Copying the mold itself is the same thing as copying someone else's artwork. So it would be unbelievably hypocritical for Gateway to have an "issue" with your scenario.

Latest posts