• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Whats the best Innova midrange for a beginner?

Star Wedge.
You will love it forever.

I compared a Zone and a Wedge in stores one day. The Pro D of the Zone felt very hard and unforgiving. The Wedge felt like it fit my fingers perfectly. Probably picking one up to see how it works for me and to give my 7 1/2 year old an alternative to her Aviar.

Could it be that people recommend the Roc to beginners because it will force them to learn good form rather them cover up mistakes?

Yep but the shark does that too and with a more neutral beginner friendly flight right out of the box. Back in the mid 90s when I started playing the first time it really was easy to start because you didn't have enough choices to start off bad. There wasn't anything like a boss or groove. You got a dx shark, tourney pro cyclone, a banshee for hyzers and wind, and maybe a leopard, gazelle, or cheetah. When you started to get good everyone eventually put a roc in their bag but that shark never left. :hfive:

If they still made dx plastic like that I wouldn't have a bag full of foreign made stuff. :popcorn:

It depends on what size mid-range you want, if you feel comfortable with a large, I'd say get one from the Mako/Coyote/Lycan/MD-2 family, if you like the smaller ones get a Skeeter.

If you're looking to stay with an Innova disc, I'll back up the others that are recommending the Shark, they're readily available in DX plastic, cheap, and I think they're a fine place to start. Rocs are excellent, but as others have stated they need some power. I had to grow into mine. If you're willing to try something outside the realm of Innova there are a a couple discs I'd recommend. The first mid I learned to throw well and fell in love with was a Millennium Aurora MS. I'm also a big fan of Discraft's Buzzz SS. Good luck!

The cobra is easy for me. I've been throwing that since I started playing.

Same here!

Cobra.jpg

Innova mids I have thrown a lot:

DX Shark - my first; thrown it a bunch in single disc rounds, great disc, still perhaps my best approach disc and owner of my 2 longest putts ever (80-100 feet).

DX Skeeter - a month throwing nothing but this would be great for one's game. When you hit it just right, it sails out there straight as an arrow and glides forever. When you throw with OAT or with any other flaws, it'll turn and burn pretty fast. Sounds like what I've heard from Comet fans.

DX Cobra - very fun disc to throw - I never get it to go as far as most mids, but it is super easy to control. I seems to hover out there, because it is slow and glidey.

Innova mids I've thrown on the field or a single round:

DX Roc - My first three shots all nailed trees off to the left of straight, so I had grip lock issues that day. I had a friend visiting from out of town last weekend who wanted to try disc golf for the first time. We visited the local pro-shop, Pipe Dreams, and he gravitated to the Big Bird DX Roc, and I didn't discourage him. I'm sure it is iconic for good reason.

Star Mako - Tried this out for the first time today, in field practice. I was expecting dead-nuts straight, and got it in spades. What surprised me was the distance I was throwing it, very long for a disc I've heard described as a longer putter.

Any of the above would be fine choices, as are others Innova mids I am sure.

My experience with the Shark let me know if you spend the proper amount of time with a particular disc, i.e. round after round with it alone, you will find its sweet spot which will become a money shot.

Roc3 170 range. I started with a DX Roc but i think a Champion Roc3 will last longer and teach the person proper form easier.

a disc to understable will teach a person to hyzer flip everything and something to over stable makes the flex everything. a disc thats straight with minimal fade will be perfect
What's wrong with hyzer flipping everything? Seems like a better foundation for learning how to throw then trying to throw flat all the time.
Could it be that people recommend the Roc to beginners because it will force them to learn good form rather them cover up mistakes?
It's mostly b/c there are a ton of stubborn Roc fanboys.

For a beginner Innova mid, I'd recommend a Cobra, Coyote, Star Skeeter, Panther, Stingray and Mako. Maybe a DX Roc later if he/she seems like a natural. Another good all around mid that doesn't get enough love is the Millennium Aurora MS which is sort of in the Innova family.

I do not recommend Sharks (I just don't like them), Kites (garbage), Wolf (worst Innova disc in production) Cro (glideless), Gator (too overstable) and Spider (see Shark).

I am a huge fan of the Discraft Buzzz, but I have to agree with the lighter (168-170 range) Roc3 for Innova specific. It will give you a consistent flight for a long time with a great impact on your game. I threw a Roc for a while and while it ended up leaving my bag, it is a great disc. The other one that I HIGHLY recommend and it has also been mentioned is the DX Shark. Anywhere you go will have this disc. I have been playing for several years and while there are discs up to $100 in my bag, the DX Shark has only just left to be replaced with an OOP Champ shark. That is one disc that I don't think I'll ever give up!

I do not recommend Sharks (I just don't like them), Kites (garbage), Wolf (worst Innova disc in production) Cro (glideless), Gator (too overstable) and Spider (see Shark).

I would think Gator being too overstable would be a positive thing for some throws. World champs have Gators in their bag. Clearly it can't suck for everyone. I also always find the Wolf doing what I want it too, but I am also not throwing 400 (heck, not even 300 currently), so it just does what I want it to and I'm happy. It's still pretty new tho

I am very happy to see that I am not the only one that has no love for the roc as a beginner disc. For me i have no love for the roc period. Same with the buzz. I will agree with people that have said skeeter, cobra, cro. I have the skeeter and cro in the bag, the cobra and i do not get a long for the same reason I do not like roc and buzz. I do not like large diameter mids. I have thrown both the coyote and mako in star and trust me these discs will let you know if your form is off. Therefore i think they are great beginner mids. The skeeter will do the same. The cro is nice because it has just a reasonable amout of lss that is very managable by lower powered players.

buzzz so you can quickly get it out of your system, then get a roc :)

Maybe go 170ish Cobra, then graduate to a Shark same weight, then go get your masters and use a Roc.

Roc3, or Atlas if you aren't throwing with a ton of power.

I started as a Buzzz only guy. Until I bought a Roc3 and was impressed and purchased a few more rocs in different plastics. While doing field practice I find I can get the most distance from my 172 roc3. It almost flies as far a my fairways on an open field, amazing.

I started as a Buzzz only guy. Until I bought a Roc3 and was impressed and purchased a few more rocs in different plastics. While doing field practice I find I can get the most distance from my 172 roc3. It almost flies as far a my fairways on an open field, amazing.

time to update your sig, homie

learn to throw a roc and you wont regret it, I learned on a 180 DX roc and I would say that's the best way.

My first mid was a 175 D Wasp. If I had to start with an Innova mid, I'd wish I would have bought/been given a Roc. Starts overstable, and wears nicely and evenly. My original home course - Riverside, St. Cloud MN - has a hole called "Roc It." (#16)

Latest posts