• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the best part of your game?

You smoke Grass and tree pollen? Thats cray

image.png

My greatest weakness is throwing flicks. As a result my backhand anny shots are excellet. Whether it's an anhyzer, hyzer-flip, or even a dead straight 350 footer that will finish gliding to the right (laser-slider I call it)... all good.

Or maybe my greatest strength is not chucking my bag into the woods on missed putts.

I'm really good at buying discs.

But actually playing maybe my accuracy. I play so many wooded courses that I've gotten good at sneaking my disc through some tight spots.
Weakest part is probably drive. I'm hitting 300-325 pretty consistent and occasionally 350. Just not enough to keep up with the guys who can eagle holes I can only birdie.

I'm different than most people. Mine would have to be my putting and my approach game. My recent change to push putting has made me very good inside of 25'. If I'm playing serious, outside of that to about 40' I straight up spin which I'm pretty good at. And my jump putt has come a long ways. I also have a nice under 200' BH, FH, and thumber combination. (thumber is actually the most accurate) Just SUCH of a struggle getting off the tee to be any good.

My mid/approach game is pretty sick where I can put my mids/putters right under the basket. It seems like my distance game has gone to **** as I've been working on my lefty shots and my putting game is just getting ok as I've never had a putter until a few months ago. I'm pretty much a finesse player where I used to be a distance player but I like this better as I don't have to go hiking for my distance drivers anymore. :)

Approach shots inside 150. That's as far away as I can get from my practice basket. This sounds silly but ever since I got into DG a few months ago, I've been looking for a place to rent in the country with a huge backyard.

Open fields?

I go to a big open field next to a baseball field 5 minutes from my house, and often take my MVP Black Hole Pro with me. Can't you find a park, football or soccer field, etc., with some big open space you can use for free? Where I am at, I can probably find about 5 places I could use within ten minutes of home. Just seems excessive to be thinking you have to rent space to practice? Anyways, good luck.

I pull my drives, and putt low.

However, give me a Bard or a Pine, and an approach, I usually nail those.

I am a beginner, 3 months in, so my game is still adapting. I find putting the easiest - simplest to study tips, apply them, and get better. I shaved strokes off quick that way - still have to see if my improvements hold. Driving - I practice, buy more discs, try more discs, practice more - seems much harder to make progress. Trying all kinds of tips, but have not yet got to that Aha moment. But, I keep trying, and hopefully it will come. Right now, I max out just a little over 200 feet, with my average 175-200 feet. Lat 64 Diamond was my best driver, followed by Leopard3, but I have a pretty heavy (for me) River, over 170g, that is coming on strong when I throw it well. Studied a bunch of videos, and I am thinking I am playing with the right parts now, but still need to find the right form and timing, have an Aha moment - find that elusive "snap" I read about - to take my driving to the next level. Any tips how some of you have "made the jump" from 200 feet up towards 300 feet range? Any help appreciated!

I am a beginner, 3 months in, so my game is still adapting. I find putting the easiest - simplest to study tips, apply them, and get better. I shaved strokes off quick that way - still have to see if my improvements hold. Driving - I practice, buy more discs, try more discs, practice more - seems much harder to make progress. Trying all kinds of tips, but have not yet got to that Aha moment. But, I keep trying, and hopefully it will come. Right now, I max out just a little over 200 feet, with my average 175-200 feet. Lat 64 Diamond was my best driver, followed by Leopard3, but I have a pretty heavy (for me) River, over 170g, that is coming on strong when I throw it well. Studied a bunch of videos, and I am thinking I am playing with the right parts now, but still need to find the right form and timing, have an Aha moment - find that elusive "snap" I read about - to take my driving to the next level. Any tips how some of you have "made the jump" from 200 feet up towards 300 feet range? Any help appreciated!

Slow down. Stop trying for max distance. Setup 100-150 ish from your target and work on throwing flat, minimal effort and repeatable.

Pay attention to your body. DG is not the hardest sport on your body, but you can get into overuse injuries. If something hurts, you are probably doing something wrong. Strong arming was causing shoulder pain for me.

The technique forum has several regulars that understand form and can provide feedback if desired.

Any tips how some of you have "made the jump" from 200 feet up towards 300 feet range? Any help appreciated!
Make sure you really flick your wrist at the end of your throw, gotta get that disc spinning as that's what generates the distance.

Beginner trying to get more distance…

Thank you for the feedback! I have two things on my "try to do next" list, and that is one of them…. Try to get more spin (flick wrist), like you mentioned, and push down harder with my thumb just as I am releasing the disc. I guess if I am doing things half way right, adding that combo should help me get a "pop", or "snap", that will help get distance? I forget the guy's name, I think first name Dave, that is a founding member of Innova(?), has a video I watched yesterday with those two tips. Tried once this morning, but didn't have enough time to get it working - hopefully soon!

Thanks! I keep telling my son we need to video each other, so we can actually see what we are doing right/wrong, but also could use video to get more/better feedback. We just keep forgetting to actually do it! As for the slowing down - yeah - totally get it, and already there. When I try to go faster, add more speed/power, I get less consistent. Often flirting with that border between how fast helps add some distance, and how fast just turns my form into a mess and I go all over the place. I really think doing video will help - see the good and the bad, because there is so much to remember and squeeze into those few seconds! Footwork, reachback, turn everything facing pretty much backwards, lead with hips, then torso, arm "slings", arm straight through (not around body), keep head down and eyes on disc (not target), now trying to add wrist flick for spin, and press down harder with thumb as I release disc…. Real easy to think you are doing it all, but actually miss some or get some wrong! But when you get better, SO much fun!!!

Forgot…

I forgot get the grip right, nose down, level/flat throw. Wow, there is a ton to work on in such a quick amount of time (a single throw)!!!