• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the unluckiest shot you've ever had?

the_pwnerator

Eagle Member
What are some of the unluckiest moments you've had in disc golf? I'm talking worst rolls, tree bounces, skips,etc.

The worst I've ever witnessed happened today at Memorial Park in Frankenmuth, MI. My buddy was throwing on hole 15, which is a short 200 foot hole with a very steep 25 foot drop after the basket. He throws, skips up and hits the pole of the basket, the disc sits up and proceeds to roll down the hill.

It rolls down the hill into the parking lot, keeps rolling through the parking lot (slight uphill) toward the road. The disc somehow makes it out to the road which is about 200 ft. from the bottom of the original hill and continues rolling down the road (also downhill). The disc ended up rolling down the road another 500ish feet.

It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen..the disc had to be rolling for like a minute straight.

Not myself, but Kachtz had the worst at Virginia State Disc golf weekend. He overthrew the basket by a few feet and it fell down a massive revine. He missed the ace by a few feet and ended up at the bottom of the revine. He did not know the rules, so he tried to throw up the slope...in the rain. the disc kept sliding back down to him and he would throw it again, then it would slide back down and he would toss it again. I think he took a 7 or 12, something absurd and preventable.

threw a thumber on a 290' hole, hit the basket started rolling about an extra 150' and made me go 1 over. so now I dont throw thumbers on that hole:p

What are some of the unluckiest moments you've had in disc golf? I'm talking worst rolls, tree bounces, skips,etc.

The worst I've ever witnessed happened today at Memorial Park in Frankenmuth, MI. My buddy was throwing on hole 15, which is a short 200 foot hole with a very steep 25 foot drop after the basket. He throws, skips up and hits the pole of the basket, the disc sits up and proceeds to roll down the hill.

It rolls down the hill into the parking lot, keeps rolling through the parking lot (slight uphill) toward the road. The disc somehow makes it out to the road which is about 200 ft. from the bottom of the original hill and continues rolling down the road (also downhill). The disc ended up rolling down the road another 500ish feet.

It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen..the disc had to be rolling for like a minute straight.
epic!

played a tourny at willow in michigan..the entire course was a solid sheet of ice and i missed multiple drop in putts due to slipping on the ice.

My brother was taking a shot at what I believe is 18 at Rosedale in K.C.(it's the one that runs along Mission Road near the park entrance). He grip-locks it and it flies through the trees and out onto street... just as an open dump truck is rolling by and "plunk", right into the back of the truck as it goes zooming south.

Gone forever.

Hole 5 at Fox Chase dgc in Albemarle NC. Threw a backhand with my Meteor hits chains and splashed through into a creek ob. Circle 3.

Also had an insane roll away moment at reedy creek of all places during a pdga. Had a 25 ft for 3 on 15 worlds layout hit basket rolled to 30ish feet, putt #2 hit basket agian and rolled over 90ft down a hill. Had to throw an upshot to take my triple :wall:. Still shot 3 down but it was a sad -3

My first tournament. 3 holes to go. I am tied for first in the novice division. About 20' to the left of the basket is a kill with plenty of trees on it. I have a great drive which leaves me with 40' putt- at this point in my development, that was an easy par but long shot birdie: I had probably never made a putt that long other than while practicing. I was thinking about laying up, but went for it. It goes straight in in the basket, I throw up my arms, and give a whoop to celebrate my birdie! Then it bounces off the inside bottom of the basket, onto the ground, hits an edge, roles down the hill, manages to miss every single tree. I am about 60' below the basket and 250' vertically away, with no clear shot up. Ended up taking a 7 on the hole, and finished 4th in my division.

Lake Point Hole 2 in Heflin Alabama.

It is a flat 40 foot strip with massive slopes on each side. My drive was straight and landed nicely on the flat area. 50 feet from the basket, excellent shot. 2nd shot smacks the chains, pops out and rolls down the super steep embankment over 100 feet, hops over some jagged rocks, and splashes into the water.
3 pulls the disc out of the water for the penalty, 4 was a toss up the hill, 5 was a lucky putt that stuck. That bad roll on throw 2 made me end up with a 5.

For me it was #16 at Redan park in Atlanta. My tee shot hits the number plate then proceeds to roll down hill 50 ft. OB into a creek. Double dot to circle 4.

Hole #7 at Waterworks in KC. The hole is probably 300ft uphill, with a low-hanging tree about 100 feet up the fairway, so you have to go around one way or the other. There is some danger on the left, so most people opt for the low Hyzer on the right; you either get a big skip and a look at 2, or an easy 3. There is also 300+ feet of downhill behind the teepad.

I threw the easy hyzer line but hit low branch on the tree, shouldn't be a big deal, can probably get up and down easily for a 3. But then my disc starts rolling, and rolling, and rolling. It rolls 300 feet downhill backwards, well behind the teepad. I end up in the middle of flat ground, but looking 600 feet uphill towards the basket.

Somehow still managed to get a 5.

Hole #7 at Waterworks in KC. The hole is probably 300ft uphill, with a low-hanging tree about 100 feet up the fairway, so you have to go around one way or the other. There is some danger on the left, so most people opt for the low Hyzer on the right; you either get a big skip and a look at 2, or an easy 3. There is also 300+ feet of downhill behind the teepad.

I threw the easy hyzer line but hit low branch on the tree, shouldn't be a big deal, can probably get up and down easily for a 3. But then my disc starts rolling, and rolling, and rolling. It rolls 300 feet downhill backwards, well behind the teepad. I end up in the middle of flat ground, but looking 600 feet uphill towards the basket.

Somehow still managed to get a 5.

Retee throwing three?

Hole 18 at shale city dgc. Very wooded course with tone poles. Hole is probably 500ish. First 350 is a rock field then you cross a road 75 feet of gravel, 40 foot of nasty pond then the tone pole.

I get a decent drive I'm at the edge of the rock field. I'm throwing my 11x eagle low and on a slight anny over the pond skip off the bank to the hole. The road is a paved single lane mountain road. I just release my disc as I look up and see a Toyota prius coming. Disc goes off the windshild straight up and into the pond.

Heartbroken isnt even the word to describe it. I almost threw up. The driver was very nice she kept saying sorry to me. She didn't understand I was upset about the disc.

I like this thread. Good job.

1. Playing my second 18 at Pier Park I step up to hole 6 and noob hyzer an Avenger SS about 75' onto the side of the hill. It's a big downhill past a treeline, and I'd bombed it the first time with the same disc. Not this time... The guy I'd played the first 18 with (who'd been super nice and a great guide) outdrove me by a mile. He walks by me down the hill, so I figure that I'm clear to take my shot. He couldn't have been more than 30' away, but I wasn't taking that line. I wanted to air it out away from the hole so it would hyzer on down the hill and maybe set me up for par. Two words: Grip. Lock. Third word: Skull. I've mentioned this on these forums before. I still feel bad. This couldn't have been two holes after I'd told him that I'd probably keep a disc if I ever got hit by it without a fore. Well, I said "Oh ****... Fore!", but he heard, "Oh ****... *thunk*." He was pretty cool after I apologized 480 times, but he had also just played 23 holes with me and had seen that I couldn't hit a stationary target, let alone a moving one. I haven't been back to Pier since... But I live in Washington and Pier is a long way from any of the places that I usually go in Portland.

2. Howling Coyote hole 5. About 280' of narrow fairway with woods and rough on a slope rising to the left and more woods and rough with a slope dropping away on the right. This hole kills me. I've birdied it a few times, but there's a pine tree with plenty of disc catching boughs right in my RHBH S-curve line that usually gets me. If I RHFH it's likely to fade down the hill. If I aim further left RHBH to avoid the pine tree I usually find a tree trunk or hyzer off into the woods. Well I had a reasonable shot that caught the pine boughs and dropped into the fairway. It was a tough look for par thanks to the trees guarding the basket, but I went for it anyway. I don't remember the exact number, but after my approach shot rolled down the hill I missed several putts, which all seemed to roll past where I was standing. I think I took an 8. I got back at it the next time though by coming back from a +2 through 4 and getting birdies on 5, 6, and 7 to get under par on that course for the first time ever. My best before that had been +3.

Super Class tourney in 25 mph winds gusting near to 40. Tee is on an exposed ridge top with the wind coming from ~20 degrees to the right of line of play. Fairway plays parallel to the right of the ridge line and has a healthy left to right decline.

Te Moko off the tee with as much hyzer as I can muster. Flies all of 40' or so before flipping and burning going roller. Slope of the hill turns the roller and then the wind turns it some more so the disc does a 180 degree turn and comes booking back up the hill, hits the crest and goes air borne again, flying 100'+ past the tee in the wrong direction coming back down when the ridge cuts the wind out from underneath it. Took a natural 8 or so to travel 400' or so to the chains.

You know that stupid hyzer hole, right?

You know, the one that's just, you throw it over the trees? It's just ridiculous, there's no gap? But everybody still birdies it? You know that hole. I throw my shot, looks perfect out of my hand, I'm on the tee. Flies out, hits an iron leaf and falls down behind like three clumps of grouped trees about 125' out. I've got nothing. Zero.

I pitched out, whatever, I'm going to get my three, move on. I go to putt, and everybody knows it's in as soon as I let it go. Somehow, it just falls out of the sky, and it hits the nubs and rolls 40' down the hill. I throw my 40 footer dead in the middle of the heart of the chains. Goes right through it. Took a 5 on that stupid hole. I don't even know who designed that course. But I birdied everything else. Birdied 'em all.

You know that stupid hyzer hole, right?

You know, the one that's just, you throw it over the trees? It's just ridiculous, there's no gap? But everybody still birdies it? You know that hole. I throw my shot, looks perfect out of my hand, I'm on the tee. Flies out, hits an iron leaf and falls down behind like three clumps of grouped trees about 125' out. I've got nothing. Zero.

I pitched out, whatever, I'm going to get my three, move on. I go to putt, and everybody knows it's in as soon as I let it go. Somehow, it just falls out of the sky, and it hits the nubs and rolls 40' down the hill. I throw my 40 footer dead in the middle of the heart of the chains. Goes right through it. Took a 5 on that stupid hole. I don't even know who designed that course. But I birdied everything else. Birdied 'em all.
sounds familiar.... just cannot place this story.:p

Where do I begin? I have so many I do not know where to start. Do I consider the ones that have kicked so far one direction or another that it adds numerous throws to my total? Or do I consider the ones that hide the disc so well that I never find it again despite searching for hours over the span of several days?

This is a NO BRAINER. And I highly doubt anyone can top this one.

In 2004, I tried to win the NC Points Series in Advanced. This is a BIG DEAL in North Carolina.

In late May, I entered one of the events, the Big Valley Challenge in Durham, NC. The course was Valley Springs, a course I knew well.

In round 3, I was killing it. I was about -5 through my first 5 holes and entering the day -11 after two rounds, was making my move. We get to hole 12, a downhill 280 slow anhyzer. I threw an aviar hyzer flip and came up about 50 short. This hole has a VERY fast green as the entire hole is down hill.

Valley Springs around the same time was cutting in a long course, and this hole included a planned long position. The long pin is about 150 feet behind the original pin. Normally there were just woods there but the inclusion of this long, a narrow path about three feet wide had been cut out in anticipation of this.

With the very fast green, I simply laid up. The disc hits a root by the pin and starts rolling. Sure enough, it rolls RIGHT DOWN the middle of this three foot wide path and all the way down past where the pin would be.

Now, I'm 200 feet past the pin and have a three foot wide alley as my only option to get to the pin. Keep in mind, this was before the optional rethrow rule, so I had to play it.

I ended up taking an 11 on the hole. AN 11. Instead of a 3. AN 11. I would get four more birdies and one more bogey on the hole and shoot a 54 for the round. Here are the results, below FYI. I would have finished 4th with a 3 on the hole.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/10092/Open

So I ended up finishing 2nd in the points and missed it by a few. Had I gotten a 3 and not an 11 on the hole, I would have won the NC Points Series.

A roll away cost me the state series title.

Like I said, I highly doubt anyone can top that.