• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats your favorite putter?

I think we should rename this thread "how many threads can we have that sound like they belong on DGCR?"

Oh, and I throw Wizards.

Omega SS. Tried others but keep coming back to it. I wish I used a Wizard but alas it does not seem to be for me :cry:
Wondering if there is still any Whitler love out there? Strictly its not a putter but I did putt with it for a while.

discspeed said:
Unless someone has a favorite but uses something else.
My favorite is the APX but I use either a Polecat or a Magic depending on the day.
The Magic is getting more air time recently.

marmoset said:
discspeed said:
Unless someone has a favorite but uses something else.
My favorite is the APX but I use either a Polecat or a Magic depending on the day.
The Magic is getting more air time recently.

I use a Magnet but my favorite putter is the Rattler. I use the Magnet a lot more because its conventional and more versatile. But something about throwing the Rattler is so fun. I guess because its unlike anything else in the bag, and its just so easy to run at the basket with one.

Not to mention the softer ones are grand for playing catch in the back yard with 8)

My favorite putters are Wizards however I'm going to take a break from them and try out the MVP & Vibram discs for a while. I have just gotten really tired the Gateway plastic rollercoaster. Hopefully I can get something as good in a better plastic.

Warlock
in all it's plastic variety glory...I think I have about 10 (from E to SSS) right now and waiting on a couple more

although I'd like to try a Pure which I heard was similar but a lower profile

Jsw said:
I use a Magnet but my favorite putter is the Rattler. I use the Magnet a lot more because its conventional and more versatile. But something about throwing the Rattler is so fun. I guess because its unlike anything else in the bag, and its just so easy to run at the basket with one.

Not to mention the softer ones are grand for playing catch in the back yard with 8)

Jsw, I am with you Baby!! I wouldn't even mention this but Jsw, hit me with his response. On every putt I pull out a Magnet and a Rattler and walk to the lie and decide from there which one to use.

How weird is this? I putt predominately with the Magnet (and have for over a decade) but like the feel of a Rattler better. In practice the Rattler and the Magnet are about even but in rounds the Magnet is the first string. The Rattler handles the short upshots (100 feet and in) and the long putts and the straddle putts. The Magnet handles difficult winds and most putts in the circle. The Rattler handles come-back putts. The Rattler handles putts where the footing is imbalanced.

Some rounds things change up. The starting line-up is earned. If the starters don't perform the 2nd string gets their chance.

If I walk up to the putt and one disc seems to be right then that disc takes the shot. I am a little bit superstitious but the most logical choice normally controls.

Oh, and yes, Rattlers are the best catch disc ever made.

ManU said:
Agreed! I prefer soft, lighter for putting, heavier for upshots. For me, Warlock drives further and putts more reliably than Wizard, Voodoo, or Magic. It has the perfect stability to hold a straight line on long jump putts, and then fade out just past the basket for an easy comeback putt (if necessary :wink: )

ManU said:
although I'd like to try a Pure which I heard was similar but a lower profile
I have not tried a Pure, but according to Joe's Flight Chart it has a notch less HSS compared with the Warlock.

Mark Ellis said:
Jsw said:

Jsw, I am with you Baby!! I wouldn't even mention this but Jsw, hit me with his response. On every putt I pull out a Magnet and a Rattler and walk to the lie and decide from there which one to use.

How weird is this? I putt predominately with the Magnet (and have for over a decade) but like the feel of a Rattler better. In practice the Rattler and the Magnet are about even but in rounds the Magnet is the first string. The Rattler handles the short upshots (100 feet and in) and the long putts and the straddle putts. The Magnet handles difficult winds and most putts in the circle. The Rattler handles come-back putts. The Rattler handles putts where the footing is imbalanced.

Some rounds things change up. The starting line-up is earned. If the starters don't perform the 2nd string gets their chance.

If I walk up to the putt and one disc seems to be right then that disc takes the shot. I am a little bit superstitious but the most logical choice normally controls.

Oh, and yes, Rattlers are the best catch disc ever made.

I agree 100%, its actually kind of weird how spot on this is for me as well. But I think that if you gave everyone a magnet and a rattler, they would all come to this same system.

When the footing is awkward and I cant get my body into the upshot - I fall back to the Rattler so I can just snap it with my arm. I very rarely putt with the Rattler just because the mold is still new to my bag so I haven't developed that inside the circle confidence with it. But literally any excuse I can make to use it(no wind, tight windows, hazardous basket locations, etc) - I throw the Rattler instead of the magnet.

I also prefer the Magnet for putter-drives and lonnng upshots, I discovered very quickly the Rattler does NOT like to be ripped on. :lol:

I am in the same boat as marmoset and dgdave

APX (or Reef now a days) is the only way to go

money 21 said:
172 champ rhyno inside the circle champ aero 175 out side the circle.

Like this guy, except 175 Pro Rhyno in the circle, and 180 DX Aero outside. I can't get a good grip with champs.

I'm diligently putting with S Magics right now after doing the "Find the perfect putter" dance, and it's slowly paying off. My Ions are seriously contending though, I can't wait to get a firm one.

I use S to SSS magics. You can't really know what you get when you order any of these... :S
I putt with one that has SS on the bottom and "super stupid soft" on the top. Doesn't really matter they are all good, haven't tried the medium and evolution ones.

I really like my 172 Jk pro Aviar-x. It really seems to fit my hand and the feel of the plastic is sticky enough to get a good grip. However im not liking it for an upshot disc (want something more firm) and have been thinking of trying a wizard or ion.

CHEERS - Koffee

koffee said:
(want something more firm) and have been thinking of trying a wizard or ion.

Wait for the firm runs of the Ion then. I was not expecting the Ion to be as flexible as it in its current run.

I think I'll be running the Summit/VP combo for a while.

koffee said:
I really like my 172 Jk pro Aviar-x. It really seems to fit my hand and the feel of the plastic is sticky enough to get a good grip. However im not liking it for an upshot disc (want something more firm) and have been thinking of trying a wizard or ion.

CHEERS - Koffee
or better yet you could just get a KC Aviar and get it all done with one mold

Wizards but I've been liking a Magic I've tossed in the bag on occasion lately as well.