• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your personal best/favorite shot of your career?

notapro

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I thought it would be cool to have a place to brag about the best shot of your playing career. Whether your longest drive, or smallest gap, or a big putt, what's your personal favorite (of your own)?

Mine, hands down, is (nearly) parking a 331' peninsula hole at Sandy Point during a casual doubles round. The main reasons are:

- It was a really close doubles round and this was for the win/tie (can't remember exactly).
- I normally max out around 300' backhand, so typically I'd be in the water unless I throw it *perfectly*.
- The only way I'm getting it that far is a hyzerflip over the water, total throw of faith.
- The reaction of the rest of the card, who didn't see it coming! It was a complete gamble.

I still feel warm and fuzzy thinking about this shot, lol...

22e4d710.jpg

Attachments

• Point.png
    Point.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 38
2013 Pro Worlds in Crown Point, Sr GM division (now MP60), Semifinal. Had been two shots back of 6th but had just pulled within one going to last hole. Threw a roller on #1 Red course with a deep, wide sweeping turn that came back and parked it. That earned a 6th place tie which is my highest finish in any Worlds division over my career (so far ;))

I played a 2018 mvp circuit event. 1st round, circuit discs. There was a hole that was like 330', low ceiling, weird shape. Temp hole, never played it before. I couldn't see a great line. I threw a roller with a plasma axis that ended up 7' from the basket. It's was awesome. Took a few strokes from my card mates.

April of 2006. Vintage Cup, Napa, CA. Temporary (the old archery) course. Hole 5. 380', slightly downhill. Threw an Epic thumber. Overshot the basket too high by about 60', over the trees in back, crossed 12's fairway, crossed 13's fairway, crossed the little dirt road, into the farmer's field. OB. Ended up with a triple-bogie...a bird would've gotten me a playoff.
TD Dave Malolepszy announced during the awards ceremony that he saw "a 600 foot throw" that day. I thought it was more like about 550 but it just shows the amazing (but very finicky) potential of the Epic.

I can tell you what is arguably the most important shot of my career.

2018 Pro Masters Worlds, Kansas City, MO, at Water Works. It the last hole of the Final 9 in regulation, which is normal hole 10. I'm down one stroke and am teeing second. I knew if I got it up the hill I could potentially gain a stroke a tie it and force a playoff.

I threw a flippy Fission Tesla on hyzerflip and hit my landing zone, after Courtney's drive came up short. I parked my upshot, made my putt, and forced the playoff.

Two holes into the playoff, I won my Masters World Championship.

But it's that shot, the drive on the final hole of regulation, that is the most important moment. I had allowed my nerves to wreck my four-stroke lead and had a single opportunity left to salvage a shot at winning. The memory of it is still a bit phantasmal, as though I was dreaming it instead of experiencing it.

Putting shots- oops?

I have two... the first would be one of my puts, where I ended up catching the putter sideways on the basket and it stayed hooked there, and the second one was when I hit a tree (as I always seem to do) but it landed into the basket. Both were puts, but it seems like they'd be hard to replicate.

About a month ago I won our private course/club's biggest tournament of the year (and the only one we held this year).

I had previously won it and was in the lead last year looking for the 2x.

I fell apart in the second round and didn't make the Final 9.

This year I shot like 4 strokes better than the next guy during the first round.

Kept it together in the second and was in the lead by 2 strokes going into the Final 9.

I was up by 1 stroke going into the last hole and went OB about 40 short of the pin in the water.

The second place guy (a good friend) had an errant shot, but was parked for par after his easy upshot.

I stepped up and canned my putt for par on a death putt with a drop off behind (and on an Instep basket).

Otter Creek is a Steady Ed course in Ky. Holes 9 thru 12 were called duece alley because you had to get all 4. They were short and easy touch shots.

PDGA tournament with a $5 ace fund, total was $135 to the first ace.

I was on #10s tee which was about 60ft from 9's basket and an elevated tee. I was about to throw my drive when "Smash!", a guy on the card behind me aced #9. I stop and we all congratulate him.

I start my short routine over and let go a perfect little hyzer and "Smash!" I aced my hole also. I jump off the tee, throw my hat to the ground saying, "I can't believe I missed $135 my 2 friggin' minutes"! (Everyone there was laughing, I was not really mad. :) )

Turns out the TD determined both aces were on our 5th hole of the round since it was a shotgun start so I got half the money. :thmbup:

No. 8, 285 feet blue pin, New Quarter Park Williamsburg, Virginia is a heavily pine wooded hole with a 30 foot gap, that gently slopes downward to about the two hundred foot mark. Then abruptly turns about 35 degrees left dropping down into a ravine with a 4 foot gap, and a 7 foot deep gully at the bottom. The basket sits about 8 feet from the gully and a death putt.

The first time I played the pin position I parked the disc at the top, and death putt into the gully. I'm a lefty that can throw a draw, so I thought might as well just gun the basket, and if I make the gully, might as well putt for birdie it. After about 10 rounds hitting trees, and never getting close to the basket, some pars and bogeys with a few trips into the gully.
On my last visit I finally threw the perfect shot, landing on the perfect spot just a few feet into the gully, hung on arock was my disc. I had an easily toss 10 feet into the basket, head height for a birdie. That may never happen again.

Mine is more of two clutch shots back-to-back. I was playing a difficult course from the gold tees, one that I'd been hoping to shoot under par on since the very first time I played it.

Coming into 16, one of the easier holes to birdie, I was even. 17 and 18 are both very treacherous, neither of which I've ever birdied. It's a short dogleg right with a tight tee shot. I hit a tree about 150 feet out, and my only chance of birdie was to throw a roller through the woods to cut the corner and make a long putt. I threw the roller about as well as expected and had about an 80' putt. I then realized that I left a disc on a hole 2 holes ago, which was also about 100' up in elevation. I ran back, grabbed the disc, ran back to my lie, nailed the 80' putt. I shot par on 17 and 18 to secure the -1.

Crushed

I was on one of my solo course bagging trips where I am trying to get in as many courses as I can. Got to Orange Crush (had already played Seth Burton) and got caught behind two guys who were playing really slowly. They showed no inclination to let me play through despite me usually making it to the next tee pad a few seconds after they did. Finally on one hole they conceded to let me tee off after them. I outdrove them and they said I could take my second throw without waiting for them (as they were very slowly making their way down to their discs). I proceeded to drill an Eagle with about a 250-footer and they called out that I didn't need to wait on them. Not my longest throw-in but definitely the most satisfying.

Close behind are all the times that I play with someone who is constantly boasting about how well he plays or is advising me on grip and shot choice and then gets to watch me park my drive (Buffalo Ridge, Nockamixon, French Creek, Creekside). I suck but there seems to be something about playing with annoying people that makes my game vastly improve.:confused:

My favorite shot of my life?

Well, last year my son (then 10) and I were playing our local pitch and putt course for a fun casual round. I played a putter only round, he carried his bag.

We step up to Hole 17 (170'). He fluffs his drive then I step up and hit an ace. Had a couple witnesses on Hole 10.

Yeah, okay cool, no big deal. How could this be the most memorable shot of my life?

Walk over to Hole 18 (150'), he goes first and he aces! Some witnesses on Hole 1 were cheering for him, but he's so short and it's a bit uphill so he couldnt see it go in and he runs up to make sure it stuck. I told him it stayed but I guess like Reagan said: "Trust, but verify."

Back to back father-son aces! Joked with him we should walk off the course and never play again and let those be our last two throws ever.

Mando left, 80' or so out to a dogleg. The pin position is quite, quite difficult to park...tight fairway hyzerbomb city with drivers. Myself and two buddies all threw three or four drives, trying to reach the basket (it's blind). Casual round for sure. Out comes a woman with a double baby stroller from the mando towards us. We warned her of the danger, and the fact that none of us hit her or her children is my fondest disc golf memory.

Back to back father-son aces! Joked with him we should walk off the course and never play again and let those be our last two throws ever.

I'm going to change mine since this story made me remember the best shot I've thrown.

I cam upon a church picnic in a local park. A father and son were leaving the picnic for hole 1 right carrying some cheap 70gram discs (the ones that businesses print their logo on). Thankfully, I had a couple of extra beginner-friendly golf discs that I grabbed out of the car and gave one to each of them. I taught them how to play and we played the round together.

Anyway, we come up to hole 10, and the basket is about 100 feet from the shelter where the church picnic was. It's 350', uphill about 10-15', and I drilled it right into the chains. The kid was about 10 and he was in awe. It was nice to hit an ace with a gallery and have someone cheer. That'll never happen again.

I had a way too stable for me Wraith. Tried to throw it anny and yanked it right. It skipped off an access road, bounced off a brick building, skipped back access the access road, and landed in the middle of the fairway. I got up and down for par and ended up with a fantastically straight driver that nabbed me lots of first birdies over the next year or so.

I have never had an ace, and at my age I don't imagine I ever will. However, on a couple of solo rounds I have had an approximate 90 ft approach shot hit the chains and drop in. However, on one casual round with 3 other players I had my shot off the tee land right smack up against the pin on a 250 ft downhill hole # 1, no skip. That made my day with witnesses watching.

3 aces, but my favorite shot might just be my dumbest.

Hudson Mills Original Course, Hole 4 short tee. 390' protected on the right side of the green by a nearly impenetrable grouping of brush and trees.

I try to throw a sky anny flex forehand with a Star Boss. It lands 200' out and then rolls another 190'. I finish pin high about 40' left, but miss the putt. My longest shot to date is an accidental roller.