• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] When is it time to rotate out my putting putters

I switch molds a lot now because I'm old and like to test new disc more than I like to pretend my game will get better.

Back when I could delude myself that I was going to get better and wouldn't switch discs without a reason I had an Aviar as my main putter. I chunked a big gash in the top off the number plate of a Mach III pretty early on. About eight years later a few little cracks under the chunked section started to form and I started to worry that I was going to crack the thing, so I put it up. Otherwise it was still $$$.

I've known other guys whose putting putters were over 10 years old. You can do a decade easily with a putting putter.

I have an outlier friend who uses an original beadless Aviar and a Lightning P-38 combo as his putters, so if you use him as your example the answer is 30 years and counting.

I have an uncle who still is using DX Spiders as his putter since the disc was in the second run after the first run without the star stamp on it, one is a oops with the disc double stamped one then the other 180 degrees, the other disc is double stamped almost exactly on top of the first stamp to have a deep stamping on his disc. before that the uncle used but hated the Magnet, he wanted a low profile Magnet for his putter and found at the time in 2001 the DX Spider felt the closest to a Magnet in feel.

same with Plains winds as well, South Dakota Pierre (pronounced Pier). One time last year I played in 30 mph for the constant wind with gusts higher then that.

Damn, I live by the ocean, on the west coast and I don't have to put up with that... :D

Good thing about wooded courses I guess. Every week you consider taking the headwind drivers out of the bag. Time to go to the big course I guess!

Damn, I live by the ocean, on the west coast and I don't have to put up with that... :D

Good thing about wooded courses I guess. Every week you consider taking the headwind drivers out of the bag. Time to go to the big course I guess!

The upper plains have some of the highest winds ever not in a tornado, hurricane or in a mountain zone . We had winds up to 110 mph near where we live about 30 miles south of my town and in town it was 75 mph at max as it went through. That storm knocked down a big cotton wood tree near hole 17, the second to last hole on the Steamboat disc golf course and missed the basket entirely and the other tree right next to that one. That hole is iconic one on the course as it uses the Missouri river and a drain culvert to make a point and shoot type hole more tricky.

I can use a Valkyrie in winds up to 20 mph like I did a little bit ago when I could finally play a round of Disc Golf and not have soggy discs. I had only a Valkyrie both low dome Star from 2009 Ice Bowl and a newer late 2016 Champion Glow both at 171 grams as my longest driver for a long time. I just have a technique of throwing the Valkyrie low and flat. I did not like the Star Destroyers most until 2014 were the beefy AJ ones and had to wait till 2014 when I finally found out the Disc came in Champion, have a 169 grams and a more beefy 170 gram Destroyer. I have thought about getting Teebird or Thunderbird but they are not comfortable in the hand. I have thought about getting an Orc but they are not comfortable in the hand.

Anyhow this post is suposed to be about Putters and when to Change them. I know the main putter my mom has is from 1998, was one an uncle found on a local course that only had the owners first name a Classic Grid Aviar ones with the micro bead at the time as late 1990's the Classic Grid Aviar, here newer bead less one from late 2016 was even in the same colors white with silver and weight 172 grams. I got her a backup and to be the longer putter for her, though she has a Rubber putter for that. My dad has had a last year produced Juju in Supreme plastic at 174 or 173 grams can't read that is his main putter he got new in 2005 for $30. Dad also Uses a from 2005 Ryhno in old Pro Plastic 175 grams, if lost I would recommend a R-Pro for him in the same weight as the Rhyno in old Pro was slightly floppy but not super floppy and R-Pro Rhyno is really similar feel to a broken in old Pro Ryhno.

I switch them out when I start missing all my putts because its not my fault, the putter is broken. But seriously, I was putting really well with the Gravity Hunters for a whole year, maybe two. Then suddenly fell in to a slump and could land a put if I walked up and stick it in the chains. I switched to Classic Blend Marshals and almost immediately found my groove again. Its a psychological thing but sometimes it works for me.

Yes, this. I also putt with G9i wizards and they last forever. I bought a ton of them when they went OOP and I'm still on my original:)

When it breaks. The more chips, scratches, creases, and warps the better! Aside from swapping in an ER25 or Fossil in winter, I have bagged the same G9i Wizard since the first re-release of them.

I think this question is best answered by the thrower. Much like actually picking your putter, only you can decide when it's time to replace it.

I say make your discs work for you, not the other way around. If you feel like your putting putter is not cutting the mustard any more because it's too beat up, get one that does, or switch molds, whatever. No need to be sentimental about it.

That being said, if you emulate numerous pros and take the advice of many by not throwing your putting putters, you will likely find that they only get better over the course of tens or hundreds of rounds. I guess if you already putt with an understable, glidey putter, you may find that they could get worse in the wind, but in that case I would keep your old one around for jump putts and cycle in a freshie.