• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When to start playing tournaments?

Kevro79

I've been playing a little over a year. I know im not the best at disc golf. but, of the people I play with I usually win. The only problem is I am either playing good or bad. For instance; one day I shot 6 under at Redan Park (my local course) and then the next I decided not to even keep score because I was so far over par.

My question is, should I just start trying some tournaments to get the hang of them and learn more about the game. O,r should I keep practicing til I get fairly consistent with my game?

What did all of you do? When did you decide to really start competing?

I've only been playing since July so I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna start playing next month cause the first two tournaments in SoCal are at the two courses I frequent most often. I say go for it, it can only help raise your game. You'll also meet some people and even possibly get a players pack. Just do it, don't get hung up on having to win and have fun. That's my view for what it's worth.

Start playing anytime. Tournaments are a great way to meet new people and play with others. You might learn a thing or two playing with someone you never have before.

Many tournaments have a Rec division if you don't want to go in as an Amateur. Don't worry about winning, just go to have fun.

Maybe start off with an Ice Bowl tournament if they are in your area. Usually they aren't attended as much and the proceeds go to charity. It's a great way to get into tournament play.

I just wish some tournaments were offered on days other than the weekends. I (and many others) work on the weekends and the few I may have off are designated family days.

Yeah those are good points. I usually play for fun and have just recently started keeping track of my actual score. I def. play beter when I am relaxed and not so competitive. which is why i am kind of shunning tournaments. but, on the other hand, I like competition and want to play with people that share the same passion I do for the game. The people I play with are just playing because I asked them to come and I can provide the discs.

I suppose I am ready to play in a tourney. the next step is, how to find one around my area. Is there a good site or thread that list tournaments by area? I live in Georgia and I am a college student. Half the time im around atlanta and the other half im in statesboro, georgia. Any information is appreciated!

This is for the Southern National Disc Golf Series, but there may be other regional sites. I didn't look too hard.

http://www.sndg.org/

It list tournaments in the Southeast. I don't see any for Georgia though.

I appreciate it. I will look around. From what I have found GA doesn't do too much for DG. Oh well, road trips are always fun!

when you are good enough that the prize (if you get any), the free disc, and the experience is worth the entrance fee.

if you feel like you will be throwing away your money by playing, then you arent ready. But if you feel like your money is well spent, you'll compete well enough to be satisfied and the consolation prizes are ok, go for it.

From what I have found GA doesn't do too much for DG.

Really? I've found quite the opposite :). DiscGolfAtlanta is a good place to start. The Georgia Super Six series is very beginner friendly as are most tourneys in Georgia.

It's not even January yet and there are over 2 dozen tournaments scheduled within an hour's drive of Redan.

Should be some Ice bowls coming up in January...good place to start. Also, a lot of courses have some sort of doubles events during the week, <usually starting in Spring>, this is also a good way to meet other players, pick up on some good tips/shots, and get you some insight on how to play in a tournament atmosphere. If you feel you are ready, then try out a tournament...preferably one that you have played the course before and feel comfortable. Play the lowest division that is available <Rec/Novice>. Most important....have fun!

The time to start playing tournaments is as soon as you're interested. Don't wait until you think you've reached a particular skill level---most tournaments will have a spot for you, and players of similar ability.

I think most who try tournaments, get hooked---so the sooner the better. If you're someone who'll find tournaments not your cup of tea, you'll find out sooner as well.

Danny's right---check to see if there are local events (doubles, league play) if you want to ease into competition. They're great fun, a great way to meet other disc golfers, inexpensive, and less formal. Ice Bowls are tournaments, usually non-sanctioned so not quite as formal, that are fundraisers during January & February, and also a good place to start.

For the post as to how to find tournaments---the PDGA's website has the most comprehensive listings, and you can filter them by state(s) and dates. It doesn't cover non-sanctioned tournaments---you may have a state organization (SC does) that lists all events, or you may check websites for local courses or clubs---many post lists of upcoming events there and nearby.

I just played in my first PDGA tournamet this fall, wished i had started sooner as i could have got a better gauge on my skill level. I actually ended up doing very well, didnt win my division but it was a good second place finish (on my home course) shot one of my better rounds there and one that was a little worse than average for me. So I say start as soon as you can. some tournaments have a novice division but beginner is always a good place to be. plus the players packs always help out with the DG equipment.

Just start with beginner. Someone talked me into playing intermediate and I was DESTROYED, I wouldn't have won plastic in the begginer group. People come out of the woodwork for tourneys, you'd never expect so many highly skilled people live so close to you.

The first Tournament I played was the Fahrenheit Fling this July. This has been my first full year of disc golf and I decided to jump right in and play some Rec tourneys. The VPO in October was a blast.
I have met some of the coolest people. They always were helpful and lots of fun to compete with at this level. Just get a rule book and know the correct way to play before you start. Don't wait.. It's worth the cost for the fun you will have and the friends you will make.

Okay, here's a different point of view.
I waited for a little over a year before I played in a sanctioned tournament. I played in doubles and small matches, but nothing sanctioned.
The first thing is that I attended a tourney first, a few months before I played in a tourney. I got a feel for the atmosphere and I followed the lead group around for most of their rounds.
I waited until my game was consistent enough to stand up to the competitiveness and pressure. I didn't play to win, but I did okay. My four rounds were all within a few throws either way. I also waited for some supportive players that I knew were going to attend.
The thing about the original post is that he spoke about his inconsistency. That might make for an unpleasant outing and sour him on tourneys.

Last edited:
Speaking not just from my own experience, back in the mists of time (before Novice & Recreational divisions), but from playing in and running tournaments---

I've seen a lot of people play tournaments very early in their disc golf career. Some played pretty abysmally, but almost all claimed to have a good time and came back for more.

Start playing anytime you want. I waited three years myself, and kind of wish I had taken the plunge a little sooner. The upcoming winter tourney/Ice Bowl season will provide a perfect opportunity to try it out as they're a bit more informal. It helps significantly if you go in with an emphasis on having fun rather than winning.

I am in the 'played early' group. I played in my first tourney 2 months after I began to play and I got my arse handed to me but I got three things out of the tourney:

#1 - I HAD A BLAST - I didn't play well but still had a blast even finishing second to last(because someone didn't show for second round) :|

#2 - MORE PLASTIC - Always get another disc or three out of a tourney

#3 - MET MORE PEOPLE - Had a chance to meet other players in my area and learn the do's and don't of tourney play.

Getting in on a Rec or Novice division will allow you to see how different people play and get an idea of shots you might want to learn in the future.

GO FOR IT!

I am new to DG and I plan to play my first tourney in Feb.
As for skills, I am not that good either. I did get one ace though. So watch out I may go pro.

Play tournaments early. I was dfl the 1st 4 or 5 tournaments i went to but had a great time playing. Think of it as paying for lessons. The best way to get better at dg is to play with players that are better than you.

Good points all around. I appreciate the help. Now I am trying to figure out the tournaments best for beginners. Do most have an AM. class or beginner? Also, when looking up tournaments, what does the tier letter mean? is that skill level or something else?

Latest posts