• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you stay during tournaments?

cdunlapb12

Par Member
I'm not made of money and it seems that the only good options are camping nearby. I've also considered sleeping in my car somewhere close by, but haven't actually done it yet.

I mostly do the camping thing. Occasionally I'll spring for a hotel, but mostly camp. It saves ton. My biggest tip for cutting costs is to find a couple of people to travel with to split costs. Find one two, maybe three people in your area that want to hit the same tournaments and all ride and stay together.

Most of the time when I'm going far enough to need a place to stay overnight, I go to places where I have friends or family nearby. And the more tournaments you play, the bigger that network of potential crash-pads can become.

But I've also done hotels and campgrounds, usually with a travel partner or two to defray costs.

It varies from event to event---how far away, what facilities are available, what free lodging might be available, and the weather. Generally, I will commute up to 2 hours, or stay in an inexpensive hotel, hopefully splitting costs with someone.

I'm not a camper any more, but some places don't have convenient camping. Particularly around larger cities. On the other hand, where I host a tournament at Stoney Hill, there's free camping on the course, and it's 30 minutes to the closest inexpensive hotel, so we get a lot of campers.

An increasing trend around here is for a large group to rent a house---the shared cost can be cheaper than hotels, and the accommodations much nicer. The only drawback is large group dynamics.

The very few times I traveled for tourneys, I've split hotels with a group. I wouldn't have any objections to camping either though since I have good glamping equipment.

I've only played 1 tournament that required me to stay there overnight and I stayed in a hotel.

But if I had to do it frequently I would just sleep in my car. I do that on road trips all the time. Free is good. If you have a car that you can lay down in, I think it's a better option than camping. Its quieter and less buggy than a tent, and nothing to setup and tear down.

You don't have to stay in the Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons. There's a Motel 6 basically everywhere in this country. It's usually only $50-$60/night.

I've done all three (camp, hotel, car). I only slept in the car once, I didn't sleep well and ruled that out as an option going forward. Camping is generally my preference if there's good camping available near the course. Otherwise, I'll just spring for a cheap hotel.

That said, I avoid overnights as much as I can. If it's a one-day event, I'd rather just sleep in my own bed, then wake up early to make the drive. The only time I'll stay the night is if it's a multi-day event, or if I want to play the course the day before.

I most frequently camp when travelling for tournaments. It's partly due to course locations here in Montana (a lot are out in the sticks), also it's cheap, and in general I find it fun to camp and hang out with disc golfers.

Well where I'm from, there aren't any A-Tiers locally. I want to play more and make a push to get better so my only option is to travel. When you have slept in your car, where did you do it and was it allowed? I know Wal-Mart lots could be an option.

Glamping thread needed? I would partake.

Nothing super fancy. Just an air mattress and a bunch of battery packs to keep my phone charged. Just didn't want to make it seem like I was gather firewood after my rounds or anything.

I sleep in my car. Then again... I'm a bit of a traveler and have lived out of my car for up to 1.5 months at a time. The concept is a little weird at first, but as you do it more and more you figure out all sorts of little tricks to get you by.

Latest posts