• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where is YOUR left hand? :)

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
Wasn't sure how to search for this, usually a pretty good 'Ruber if I do say so myself.

Where is your left hand (or right if you're a lefty) while you putt? What do you do with it? Doesn't It feel awkward just hanging there?

Reason I ask is I always have my left hand on the disc entirely way too long...usually through my "pumps" and just shy of release. I figure it's a bad habit but I've always brushed it off and said, "Everyone has a unique putt etc. etc." and made mental comparisons to basketball and their use of the non-dominant hand in shooting.

I don't know.

This is a great jerk question to ask somebody walking up to their lie. :D

prolly doing something weird...now that you mention it...i'll probably start paying more attention to what it's doing....i miss enough putts already!! :D

Against my left leg.....starting at the pull

i think the OP meant putting

i do the same when driving, but putts i have both hands on the disc almost until the end, never really think about it though and i dont want to start :D

For my putts it starts forward, then swings back as I transfer my weight forward, I guess it's something like a counterweight.

It holds my other putter or disc...I practice with a putter in this hand so it makes since to hold a disc in it during a normal putt...with disc in hand it is at my left side and will lift upwards for balance as I putt

I'm weird - I always spin the disc on my left middle finger and pick it up off of it and throw all in one motion so my left hand is still in the same position I was spinning the disc on it in.

I'm weird - I always spin the disc on my left middle finger and pick it up off of it and throw all in one motion so my left hand is still in the same position I was spinning the disc on it in.

I DO THE PRE THROW SPIN TOO!!!!:D

Well, not quite like you, but Rocaholic74 could attest to me spinning a disc before EVERY shot. I do however take the time to settle after my right [throwing] hand has a hold on the disc, prior to my run up/throw. Yes local pros/the course designer (Joe Mela) have witnessed me do this, and though they thought it was a little unnecessary, they also didn't think it was a huge issue (since I did take that extra breath between the spin and the throw).

As for everyone else, keep 'em coming!

The spin is so engrained in my putting style now that I feel like if I were to stop doing it then the whole mental side of my putting game would be completely and totally jacked up...

Not quite what I was expecting when I opened this thread.
I've been thinking a little bit about where my off hand is (or should be) when I drive, so I thought I was mind melding through the interwebz.

When I was still trying to figure out how to putt, I put my off hand over the top of the disc to act as a guide to help level my shots.
It was kind of a 2-hand putt where the disc just slid across my palm.
It was definitely a good learning tool for me.
Now I use my off arm more for balance.

As for off-arm/hand location during a drive, I've found myself finishing with my left hand on my upper right shoulder (trap area, not arm or joint) on a RHBH distance drive.
I think this originated from me trying to keep my left arm tucked in close to my body when I pull through and open up.
I only grab my shoulder after releasing, so it's not affecting my throwing arm motion that I can tell.
I've noticed my distance increasing slightly as of late, so it doesn't seem to be having an adverse effect.
Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one?
I've made a conscious effort not to, but haven't noticed any difference in distance or accuracy, so I probably won't worry about it.

I'm good on my driving form, thanks though:thmbup: Matter of fact, you need any help? lol

holding my beer...

Touche' my good sir, touche'.

/quickly picks up beer that's been getting warm as I aimlessly scrolled through Reddit

EDIT: I was actually putting around in my basement tonight and tried consciously keeping my left hand away...after a few minutes (using 5 putters) it actually felt pretty comfortable. Let's see how that feels when I wake up:popcorn:

Last edited:
I honestly can not think about what I do with it...
Before I throw and putt I will sometimes rotate the discs in both hands but when I actually go to putt I can't think of what I actually do...
This makes me want to go putt now. :|