• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Which 2 Putters?

Which 2 (TWO) putters should I purchase???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TripleB

Eagle Member
After working with the Innova Aviar P/A for several days and numerous hours it seems like a putter I'll never have a ton of confidence in...although I know thousands of players love this putter so obviously it's me, not the disc.

I'm wanting to carry two putters, one for putts inside 35 feet or so and the other one for everything else.

I've narrowed it down to five because I like a thinner putter. Even though I've got somewhat larger hands, thinner disc seemed to be more comfortable, and controllable...at least so far (I'm a beginner to disc golf).

Of the five putters listed in the poll, which two putters would you advise me getting?

Thanks to everyone's incredible help and patience here I've go the rest of my steamlined and complete! You all are an amazing group of people and I appreciate all you have done to getting my disc golf life off on the right foot!!!

TripleB

Last edited:
Putters are personal. What I use, you may not like. There is no right answer here, and the community can not answer it for you.

You are definitely correct...just like putters in club golf or racquets in tennis. I was hoping maybe someone could pick two that 'complement' each other as far as flight characteristics or playability. Thanks!

What about the Aviar don't you like?

It's mainly the feel of the putter in hand...just seems a little thick so when I'm getting ready to putt I'm thinking more about how I dislike the feel more than the putt. I think at this point it's all mental :\

TripleB

Isn't the Warden a DD putter that's an Aviar clone? I know one is but can't remember which. To each their own but I think there's much better putting putters out there. I'm not a fan of the Wedge or Colt for putting. Great driving putters but I think you can find better to putt with. There's two main things that come with finding the right putter for you. Bead or no bead and depth. Maybe borrow some friends discs to try. A lot depends on putting style as well. If you find beaded putters to your liking there's the Wizard, Judge, Ion, P1X, Dagger. If no bead is your thing the Challenger, Roach, Aviar, Voodoo and Anode are good ones to try. Trilogy has some good ones too. All I can tell you is good luck in your search....

I think you should visit a store, fondle every putter they have, and buy what you like. You're in a disc golf heavy area so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a large selection.

As for your list, most of those will be very similar to one another. Buy two of one mold on the list. I'd say the Pure. Pick up one in a base plastic blend with the flex you like and an Opto for drives and approaches.

Aviars are a lot like P2s and I used to putt with them so I understand what you're talking about. I putted with Judges/Wardens for a while before they got stolen and since I was switching my entire bag over to Discmania I decided to try their putters.

The P1x is amazing but I didn't like the plastic; one day at league somebody was selling stuff and I bought 3 new Judges, and a new Warden. I prefer putting with Judges because they don't feel as rounded in my hand but the Wardens are a bit more understable and are excellent putters!

The Wedge feels nothing like a typical putter. It has a very small, thin rim, and is totally wrong (in my hands) for putting. It's basically a tweener mid/putter that is much better for driving and approaching.

Other than that, Tbird had the right idea. Go feel a bunch up at the store. And who knows, you might like how the Wedge feels, but I just wanted to give you an idea of my take on it.

The Wedge is a terrible putting putter. It's useful as an understable utility disc. The ringer is fine but I think it's far too overstable for what you are looking for.

Your either looking at the Pure or the Warden. Choose the Pure. You can get into Wardens later if you want. The Pure has the reputation it has for a very good reason. Go with it.

I'm not a fan of the Wedge or Colt for putting. Great driving putters but I think you can find better to putt with. There's two main things that come with finding the right putter for you. Bead or no bead and depth. Maybe borrow some friends discs to try. A lot depends on putting style as well. If you find beaded putters to your liking there's the Wizard, Judge, Ion, P1X, Dagger. If no bead is your thing the Challenger, Roach, Aviar, Voodoo and Anode are good ones to try. Trilogy has some good ones too.

I noticed that the Wedge description said it was pretty much a cross between a putter and a mid. Didn't know if it would fit the bill as my utility putter.

I've tried several of my friends putters and it seems my preference is for thinner non-beaded putters...just seem to come out of the hand a little smoother to me.

Thanks for the help!

I think you should visit a store, fondle every putter they have, and buy what you like. You're in a disc golf heavy area so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a large selection.

I think I've visited everywhere within about 15 miles (some numerous times), not as many places as I thought, and to be honest many of them seem to offer only the best known brands and only 2 or 3 putters from each. Actually compared to what I see online I was a bit disappointed with the selection found around here. :\

The P1x is amazing but I didn't like the plastic; one day at league somebody was selling stuff and I bought 3 new Judges, and a new Warden. I prefer putting with Judges because they don't feel as rounded in my hand but the Wardens are a bit more understable and are excellent putters!

Thanks for the input...do these two act similarly in flight? It seems many people say they are similar just bead vs no bead. Thanks for the input!

The Wedge feels nothing like a typical putter. It has a very small, thin rim, and is totally wrong (in my hands) for putting. It's basically a tweener mid/putter that is much better for driving and approaching.

I wasn't sure if I went with one of the other 'true' putters, if the Wedge might be that second putter I'm looking for to do everything except actually putting.

The Wedge is a terrible putting putter. It's useful as an understable utility disc. The ringer is fine but I think it's far too overstable for what you are looking for.

Your either looking at the Pure or the Warden. Choose the Pure. You can get into Wardens later if you want. The Pure has the reputation it has for a very good reason. Go with it.

Yea, as I mentioned above I didn't know if I could pair the Wedge up (as a driver/midrange type disc) with an actual putter disc to make a nice 1-2 combination.

That's the one thing was worried about with the Ringer...a bit overstable, especially for this newbie. I wasn't sure at what distance that overstable flight would kick in...if 35' or less foot putts would be fine with it or not.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help, votes, advice, and patience! It is GREATLY appreciated!!!

TripleB

Sometimes, I think you are not really a human TripleB, but rather you are a data collection robot tasked with collection of knowledge on throwing putters in the game known as disc golf. Am I right?

If you find beaded putters to your liking there's the Wizard, Judge, Ion, P1X, Dagger.

Maybe that's the route I should go. Get one beaded and one non-beaded putter and use both for a while until I decide which one I find the most confidence with!

In looking at the ones you mentioned I do like the fact that the Ion is only 1.9cm tall.

Again, I appreciate your input and advice!!!

TripleB

As for your list, most of those will be very similar to one another. Buy two of one mold on the list. I'd say the Pure. Pick up one in a base plastic blend with the flex you like and an Opto for drives and approaches.

As I was reading the OP, this is pretty much verbatim what I was formulating for a response.

Sometimes, I think you are not really a human TripleB, but rather you are a data collection robot tasked with collection of knowledge on throwing putters in the game known as disc golf. Am I right?

Well, I am a 7th grade Math teacher and I just finished teaching a 3 week Statistics Unit to my students so you may be on to something!!! :D

TripleB

If you find beaded putters to your liking there's the Wizard, Judge, Ion, P1X, Dagger.

I took a closer look at the Ion since it seems to be the thinnest putter of the ones you mentioned and now I'm really confused. Can you (or anyone) give me some insight on the various plastics for the Ion putter.

Where I'm ordering from I have these options:

1) Soft Ion Putter in:
a-Electron Soft
b-Proton
c-Eclipse Glow

2) Medium Ion Putter in:
a-Electron
b-Electron Firm
c-Proton
d-Neutron
e-Plasma
f-Eclipse Glow

So, can anyone clear up the confusion as to what all of these plastic types are and which one might be best for putting?

Thanks!!!

TripleB

Do you mean thin as in narrow wing width or shallow depth? Ions have a rounded corner where the rim meets the flightplate and, to me, makes the disc feel like the grand canyon.

Do you mean thin as in narrow wing width or shallow depth? Ions have a rounded corner where the rim meets the flightplate and, to me, makes the disc feel like the grand canyon.

For me it's the height of the disc...I tend to like the ones that don't feel like all the frisbees that I threw growing up, which seemed very tall (if put on a table and you looked at their height).

TripleB