• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whiskers

Magnet69

Par Member
The whiskers the DGPTis using for the bullseye/circle 1/circle 2 lines--does anyone know where to get these? Wanting to put some down on my home course...

Last edited:
I saw on Virginia Beach's newest course Northgate this morning, blue whiskers for the first time marking a creek, all along the creek for two holes about 850 feet. I've only seen at other courses white stakes only or red stakes with white rope marking the boundary with penalty.

Are the blue whiskers warning me about water and play it out of the creek as I've played other courses with no penalty, or could it be another marker for a penalty? May have the answer in a few weeks, tee posts have been installed, and the signs soon to follow. Maybe the O.B will be on a map.

I saw on Virginia Beach's newest course Northgate this morning, blue whiskers for the first time marking a creek, all along the creek for two holes about 850 feet. I've only seen at other courses white stakes only or red stakes with white rope marking the boundary with penalty.

Are the blue whiskers warning me about water and play it out of the creek as I've played other courses with no penalty, or could it be another marker for a penalty? May have the answer in a few weeks, tee posts have been installed, and the signs soon to follow. Maybe the O.B will be on a map.

I am not sure why blue?? Whiskers seem to be drawing a line, which indicates OB/hazard. I think spending money and marking that an area is a-okay, seems silly.

I am not sure why blue?? Whiskers seem to be drawing a line, which indicates OB/hazard. I think spending money and marking that an area is a-okay, seems silly.

Those tee signs should be up soon, and maybe state whether ob. or not. Yes, I thought silly as well, I don't need whiskers telling me not to throw my disc in the creek. It's 9-hole course on a city park funded by one of the local clubs. They have the funds and build the course quickly opening with two concrete tees per hole, and nice Veteran baskets. I would bet those tee signs will be nice, as well as the Mando signs. It looks like the club is using it as a home course, they just had their club championship on it. Kudos to the club, Virginia Beach 400k residents had only two courses, and Northgate was badly needed.

I don't jump putt, so I agree. They are very popular though. We helped a couple courses get them in and players rave about them.

oh i suppose that goes into the equation too

i dont jump putt either

im surprised tho

they make the course look a little more professional, but some players that have never watched coverage are a bit confused by them.
they do highlight where the tee is a bit too close to the basket.

I came here expecting a No-Shave-November thread and am sorely disappointed ☹️

A sidebar question, just curious. Do the whiskers pose a problem for lawn mowers? Anyone have firsthand knowledge?

I don't jump putt, so I agree. They are very popular though. We helped a couple courses get them in and players rave about them.

They must be raving either about having C1 whiskered or perhaps the cosmetics of them. The first time I saw whiskers on a course both C1 and C2 were whiskered in different colors eye appealing, and nice to know the distance I was putting from instead of estimating, and fun for a first time. There was another course 17 of the 18 C1's were whiskered except for a basket sitting on a wooden block on a mound. There was one whisker on the wooden block next to the basket pole. No idea what that meant.

A sidebar question, just curious. Do the whiskers pose a problem for lawn mowers? Anyone have firsthand knowledge?

I'm going to say no. A few courses I've played it was obvious the whiskers were being mowed over, and shorter compared to the ones on dirt or hard pan.

I'm going to say no. A few courses I've played it was obvious the whiskers were being mowed over, and shorter compared to the ones on dirt or hard pan.

Wouldn't whiskers get shaved, rather than mowed?

Wouldn't whiskers get shaved, rather than mowed?

Looked like to me they were being mowed over; I wouldn't take the time to shave them ;) Or any non-playing parks dept personnel taking the time to pull them up.

Last edited: