• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why all the strange names?

Funny thing is the word "moonshine" actually describes the effect better than the word "glow". Moon=night, shine=give off light. Glow isn't descriptive at all.

Ok, you are saying something doesn't glow in which the picture is taken in the light....Soooooo in reality you don't really know if it glows or not.

Furthermore the reason for Lucid Air Moonshine is that putting the product in that make it reactive to light in order to glow makes it heavier so they have no choice but to put the air effect into the plastic to keep it within weight requirements.

I don't understand what your issue is here other than hate.

I don't understand what your issue is here other than hate.

I'm not reading hate. I'm reading that he's taking all the names way too literally. Like the people who think the Discraft Flick can only be thrown with a forehand.

I think Shakespeare said it best...

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would fly just as sweet

There have always been these idiosyncratic names for discs/plastics. It's just more prevalent now that there are more manufacturers. When it was all (mostly) Discraft and Innova you still had:
Pro D / DX
Elite X / Pro
Elite Z / Champion
ESP / Star
Photon / Glow (Champ Glo and DX Glo)
Then throw in Innovas KC Pro (distinguish between a KCPro Roc and a KCPro Gazelle), CE, etc and it becomes more confusing.

I remember when I first started playing, I got plastics mixed up and "who made which mold" (I probably carried a DX Buzzz). Couldn't remember which one was "Elite X or Elite Z." Got my "Champion and CE" mixed up. It happened again when I started throwing more brands, most recently with Legacy. Just like before, I have adapted and am now familiar with each manufacturers plastic lines. When another new one comes out, I will have to learn that one all over again.

Lucid Moonshine Escape is no more ridiculous than Champ Glow Teebird

It's marketing, for better or worse. Once a manufacturer has you hooked -- ie, you know the difference between 400g and 300s -- you're more likely to come back and drink from that well. And Invova's in the driver's seat, obviously, in the way that everything new has to be compared to Champ, Star, DX.

You also have to consider the cool factor. This is where Prodigy misses the boat. I've seen ten-year-olds getting into the sport and they do not want an M3. Put them in a store and they want a freaking Katana or Beast, regardless of whether or not they can throw it. Katana is a bad-ass weapon. Of course you want to throw that.

Personally, I think most of the names for discs/plastics are stupid as hell.

Innova's lineup makes me feel like I'm playing Dungeons & Dragons or some shizzz... :\ :\

Seems like companies lately are doing themselves a disservice in marketing discs and plastics in such unique and different ways now that you don't even know what the heck the disc is. There are lots of adjectives used which make sense but some of the recent stuff that is coming out as well as the names people are giving some runs of discs is-- just dumb.

Share your examples of over-the-top names and marketing mishaps.

Lat/WS/DD has too many. Prodigy is up there too but at least their system is uniform.

Lucid Air Moonshine sounds like a hell of a drink and ill take a piece of that Tasty New Hand Candy for my little brother. :p

those are the parts I read as hate, or maybe its just criticism. whatever. I guess if innova did glow blizzard it would be more understandable since all blizzard is already champ plastic??

It just seems as if they are trying to be uniform by specifically stating what the plastic is. Just goes to prove the age old "cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time" saying.

So what does Camry mean? Does the Highlander look like a guy wearing a kilt? How about the Avenger from Dodge (not Discraft)?

Names are what they are. They try to be unique, somewhat descriptive, and catchy.

Moonshine does not mean glow...it mean the reflection of light off of the moon which really has nothing to do with a glowing disc although I think it's an awesome name for there glo disc

I'm just not a fan of the prodigy naming system although I love there disc just "d4" is as appealing as "boatman" or "Valkyrie" it rarely has anything to do with how the disc flies but just more appealing to the hear

So what does Camry mean? Does the Highlander look like a guy wearing a kilt? How about the Avenger from Dodge (not Discraft)?

Names are what they are. They try to be unique, somewhat descriptive, and catchy.

^That..
Thread-

DG geeks need to have a lot of words that only they know what it means so they can make fun of newbs that don't.

I think there is going to have to be some standardization around plastics once the number of manufacturers reaches a certain point. The market just wont be able to support 100 different plastic names for 30 different companies. I have no idea what that would really look like though.

The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri (冠, かんむり), meaning "crown".[1] This follows Toyota's naming tradition of using the crown name for primary models starting with the Toyota Crown in 1955, continuing with the Toyota Corona and Corolla; the Latin words for "crown" and "small crown", respectively.[2] In Japan, it is exclusive to Toyota Corolla Store retail dealerships.

all of the bold is where you are wrong. Names are very important in successful marketing of a product as well as over-all success of a company.

Innova has some good names when it comes to marketing.

To those who think that naming conventions will run out of ideas, and it will all fall apart and then nothing would work.

consider taking a walk down the very full isle of interior paint color options at a home improvement store.

Yet, its done for a reason, it must work. It does work (for sales). what wouldn't work (for sales) would be the tab for "green" 200021 sitting right next to the tab "green" 200022, next to the tab for "green" 200023.

Moonshine does not mean glow...it mean the reflection of light off of the moon which really has nothing to do with a glowing disc although I think it's an awesome name for there glo disc

Moonshine = by the Light of the Moon.

The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri (冠, かんむり), meaning "crown".[1] This follows Toyota's naming tradition of using the crown name for primary models starting with the Toyota Crown in 1955, continuing with the Toyota Corona and Corolla; the Latin words for "crown" and "small crown", respectively.[2] In Japan, it is exclusive to Toyota Corolla Store retail dealerships.

all of the bold is where you are wrong. Names are very important in successful marketing of a product as well as over-all success of a company.

Innova has some good names when it comes to marketing.

impressive research...I'm not going to verify it by any means but makes sense