• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why all the strange names?

not true.. model 940 > than a 740

is a d1 > than d2 or other way around?

BMW m3 < m5' but whats better a prodigy. m1 or m4?

seriously this thread is about complaining about a name like lucid air moonshine judge...have you not seen the new "foxbat" mid range from innova?
This thread is pointless

didn't realize the euro guys were so hard up... and we thought MVP had fanboi's lol

foxbat belongs here too'

not true.. model 940 > than a 740

is a d1 > than d2 or other way around?

BMW m3 < m5' but whats better a prodigy. m1 or m4?

I just meant using numbers for names. And they do have a method, at least, higher number is generally more understable. And you could say 300 plastic < 400. But whatever...

I always wondered what the hell a Camry was. Good to know.

^yeah there is a LOT more behind names and logos than most people realize.

I will give some new companies props for their logo designs but the names hurt.

The name "Camry" is an Anglicized phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri (冠, かんむり), meaning "crown".[1] This follows Toyota's naming tradition of using the crown name for primary models starting with the Toyota Crown in 1955, continuing with the Toyota Corona and Corolla; the Latin words for "crown" and "small crown", respectively.[2] In Japan, it is exclusive to Toyota Corolla Store retail dealerships.

So? Crowns have nothing to do with cars. Especially when it's a Japanese word that's Anglicized.

all of the bold is where you are wrong. Names are very important in successful marketing of a product as well as over-all success of a company.

Okay, except nothing I said was wrong. It doesn't vary from what you just said. Companies often give something a catchy name because they feel it will help them market the product. They give something a somewhat unique name because they feel it will help them market the product. They give them a somewhat descriptive name because they feel it will help them market the product.

You started the thread and people have given you answers. "Strange" names exist everywhere.

I dare say the name "Moonshine" as it relates to a plastic that glows makes a LOT more sense (and is less "strange") than the Anglicized version of a Japanese word that STILL doesn't relate to the product itself.

I agree in principle, but each company is trying to differentiate themselves as their own unique snowflake for marketing purposes. I would actually prefer every company to use the Innova system of DX, Champ & Star to classify their plastic. That said, if any company did that, they'd basically be saying that Innova is best...

On a side note, I love how people click on a thread, and read it only to add, this thread is pointless/dumb. Sound like the pot calling the kettle black...

Lucid Air Moonshine is no different than Glow Champion Blizzard

^ This.
While I agree some companies' naming conventions can be a bit confusing, I think the OP selected a poor example: Lucid Air Moonshine makes perfect sense.
1) One dictionary definition for lucid is " Translucent or transparent"... perfectly desribes DD's Lucid Plastic
2) Air imples air is worked into the platsic... which it is in those discs.
3) Moonshine implies something glowing at night - guess what their Moonshine plastic does?

Few naming conventions make as much sense as this. I'd say Lucid Air makes even more sense than Champ Blizzard, which is fairly descriptive itself.

Last edited:
you have a bunch of companies doing the same things and trying to sound better doing it.

that's all.

moonshine plastic makes sense to me. it sounds catchy and describes what the disc does - it shines under the moonlight since it's glow plastic. and talking semantics about these silly names is silly - the moon does shine, even if it's only reflecting sunlight back to us.

blizzard plastic has a bunch of bubbles that look like white flecks. similar to a blizzard.

lucid = clear/aware/able to see clearly. applies to the plastic IMO.

opto = eyes/of light/vision. makes sense.

air=light. macbook air, anyone? already been used and established.

don't get me wrong, i think it's funny too. but they are at least keeping it somewhat relative; most of the descriptors are there for a reason and are easily associated with a characteristic of the disc/plastic.

foxbat is where i draw the line though, hahaha . . . too many discs, and manufacturers sometimes pigeonhole themselves with themes. they become a victim of their own identity or try to sound too cool.

V I lol'd

Is Discraft reading this thread? Let's hope they come up with a good name for the 2013 AR disc.

Lucid is not used to describe the physical appearance of something though. Generally a person acts or thinks in a lucid manner and does not call their window or windshield lucid.

Lucid is not used to describe the physical appearance of something though. Generally a person acts or thinks in a lucid manner and does not call their window or windshield lucid.

i understand where you're coming from.

however, i feel that as a writer i often draw parallels between things as a means of description or use concepts/analogies to draw those connections, so i can get on board with the naming scheme there.

Is Discraft reading this thread? Let's hope they come up with a good name for the 2013 AR disc.

I've alread made my thoughts known on the subject in that it fits in well with the Stalker and Predator naming convention... but they won't listen to me. :p

i understand where you're coming from.

however, i feel that as a writer i often draw parallels between things as a means of description or use concepts/analogies to draw those connections, so i can get on board with the naming scheme there.

and those parallels are great when they make sense but seems many of them in DG are made very loosely and without any logical reasoning.

Vibram doesn't call their soft x-link Flubber or Chewing Gum.. it is what it is and xlink is their brand and probably one of the best at marketing in DG but they also have a REAL business selling tons of products not just flying plates so I bet they get it a little more than those of us stuck in the DG world.