• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why all the strange names?

and those parallels are great when they make sense but seems many of them in DG are made very loosely and without any logical reasoning.

Vibram doesn't call their soft x-link Flubber or Chewing Gum.. it is what it is and xlink is their brand and probably one of the best at marketing in DG but they also have a REAL business selling tons of products not just flying plates so I bet they get it a little more than those of us stuck in the DG world.

They can be as god as they want at marketing, it still doesnt help them sell thier discs. The 2 hardest brands or discs to sell that are fairly mainstream are Vibram and DGA with it being a toss up between which one is harder to sell.

essentially what they're doing is trying to create a buzzword for every plastic, every disc and every characteristic of their disc.

it's just buzzword overload and you don't notice how silly it is until you get this level of saturation. it's like watching 50 informercials at the same time.

They can be as god as they want at marketing, it still doesnt help them sell thier discs. The 2 hardest brands or discs to sell that are fairly mainstream are Vibram and DGA with it being a toss up between which one is harder to sell.

it pisses me off that vibram is hard to sell. i think what they've been doing is phenomenal. truly unique; i appreciate the flight ratings and the fact that no matter how wet/cold it is, i never feel like i have a problem gripping the disc.

might just have to make an all-vibram fall/winter bag.

Last edited:
Vibram doesn't call their soft x-link Flubber or Chewing Gum.. it is what it is and xlink is their brand and probably one of the best at marketing in DG but they also have a REAL business selling tons of products not just flying plates so I bet they get it a little more than those of us stuck in the DG world.

You're being completely arbitrary about what constitutes a "strange" name. Others already pointed out that "Lucid Air Moonshine" makes more sense than "Champion Blizzard whatever."

But I'm curious: when you google "X-Link" you don't get a bunch of rubber-based things. X-Link is as strange a name as "Star" plastic. So why do you feel "X-Link" makes sense while "Moonshine" is "strange"?

that's not the point. you wont need to explain for even 10minutes to a new player what the difference is between a soft/med/firm vibram putter mold but their unique plastic and niche feel would make sense they sell a lower volume of discs.

that's not the point. you wont need to explain for even 10minutes to a new player what the difference is between a soft/med/firm vibram putter mold but their unique plastic and niche feel would make sense they sell a lower volume of discs.

But you would have to take some time to explain gateways plastic.

Medium, Soft, Super Soft, Super Stupid Soft.

essentially what they're doing is trying to create a buzzword for every plastic, every disc and every characteristic of their disc.

it's just buzzword overload and you don't notice how silly it is until you get this level of saturation. it's like watching 50 informercials at the same time.

it pisses me off that vibram is hard to sell. i think what they've been doing is phenomenal. truly unique; i appreciate the flight ratings and the fact that no matter how wet/cold it is, i never feel like i have a problem gripping the disc.

I have noticed vibram has superb grip but they lack the glide newer players can really feed off of in their game. that's the only reason I don't throw vibram

And in reality are things not lighter in space where there is no air?

Maybe it should be Moonshine Gravity plastic-- see they missed out there.

#winning

I like vibram but I hate Steve Dodge

More literal names would help now that there are so many companies/discs/plastics. Instead of trying to sound all unique, they could take a step back and name the plastics basic, durable and grippy or something similar. I would buy a "durable" Teebird as well as a "grippy" one

I thought Google Translate would help come up with new disc names.

This is English-->Japanese-->English

Durable grippy long range disc
耐久グリッピー長距離ディスク
Durable bag re ッ ピ ー ィ su ku long distance terrestrial

English-->Welsh-->English

Durable grippy long range disc
disg ystod hir grippy gwydn
Trippy durable long-range disc