• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Why all the strange names?

...wow...I skimmed the first 10 pages. That's 5 minutes I'm never going to get back. Anyhow, strange names...

Innova Krait (Ya...I just through my crate on that shot. No, not a box, the snake of course)
Innova Tern (See relevant thread regarding name...)
Innova Vulcan (Star Trek or Greek God of fire?)
Innova Wahoo (Wahoo! I just through it in the water...and it floats...)
Innova Wedge (...really?)
Innova Polecat
Innova Teedevil (...what is a teedevil? Is that describing the idiot in front of my who drives 20 feet and puts 10 times before leaving the hole?)

Discmania Frenzy (Do you really want to throw a "temporary madness" or "violent mental or emotional agitation" or "intense usually wild and often disorderly compulsive or agitated activity" according to Webster?)
Discmania Chaos
Discmania Hysteria (They do realize that "uncontrolled" is used in the definition of Hysteria right?)
Discmania Freak (Everyone calls the disc a PD. Proof positive, its a bad name)
Discmania Rush (only half-way decent name)
Discmania Craze
Discmania Fever (my disc has a high temp)
Discmania Fiend (is the disc evil?)
Discmania Psycho (...everyone wants a psycho putter)
Discmania Maniac (...maniacs = consistent putts...right?)

Discraft Stalker (I don't think stalking is high on most peoples lists...)
Discraft Zombee (Zombie's are big, but at least spell it right)
Discraft Putt'r (What?)

Legacy Ghost (Eh..., not doing it for me)
Legacy Gauge (Gauge of what?)
Legacy Clozer (Spell it right!)
Legacy Clutch (...for some reason the hand bag just keeps coming to mind. Ya...I know clutch is slang for a player who performs well at the best time)

Lat64 Sinus (...oh the debate about how to pronounce this disc's name)

DGA Blowfly (A disc named after a bug?)
DGA Titanic (They do realize it sank, right?)

Dynamic Warden (okay, I get the whole prison theme going...but Warden? What's next? Solitary Confinement?)

Vibram Lace (Lace? Okay, I get the shoe reference, but really...)
Vibram Unlace (Totally not working)

Not that I put a lot of stock in names ("A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."), however, most companies do a decent job of picking exciting and cool names for discs. Innova has their animal and mythical beast theme (leopard, banshee, roc, valkyrie, wraith) which they break away from frequently (boss, katana, dominator, destroyer). I have no idea what a Teebird is, but, its sounds alright I suppose. Discraft just has a nice midrange naming convention (Buzzz, Wasp, Hornet, Drone --- Meteor, Comet) as well some strong driver names (Nuke, Force, Crank). Westside has a nice story, art, and naming to go with their discs. Northman and Tursas are a little strange, but I'll chalk that up to the Finish roots. MVP has their science theme...which is cool, but they may want to consider some variety at some point. Legacy doesn't appear to have a theme, but definitely has some solidly named discs (Patriot, Rival, Cannon, Rampage). Discmania is just...I dunno...the insane asylum naming convention just doesn't do it for me. Who wants to throw a freaky or hysterical or crazed disc? And Dynamic Discs is cool with their prison theme (trespass, renegade, escape, fugitive, judge) but lately it feels like it has been reaching (truth, verdict, warden). Prodigy's naming I find a bit...dull. F1, F2, F3, F4, M2, PA1 gets boring. F14 and M4 have a nice association with their military references. Don't think an F14 will be being made any time soon...that's gunna be freaky understable. DGA has sort of a water/storm/earth quake theme going and some are appealing (Hurricane, Tsunami) but others feel a little lacking (Reef, Titanic, Squall). Gateway putters (do they even make drivers? <wink> <wink>) have the magic theme going, which is alright. Vibram is average minus their lace/unlace insanity.

Anyhow, just me two cents. I imagine its a better read than all the arguing about moonshine and air bubbles.

Just a quick addition to raise my post count. TeeBird morphed from T-Bird which is short for Thunderbird, at least that is it what it is listed under in the PDGA Spec sheet.

It looks to me, and not more than speculation, that Innova was originally going all birds at the beginning. Aviar (play on a name for birds), T-Bird, Eagle, Roc, and Firebird.

Even though the Boss and Destroyer do not fit into the animal theme they have, the design of the DX artwork is very similar in style, making it work. The only artwork that is really off is the Birdie with the Tweety-style comical look.

Many car manufactures throughout the world only use a number to specify a make and model such as the volvo 740 and such. What they found out in the states was that Americans got to confused with numbers so they started to give names to their cars. This was primarily only in America where we Americans must have a name to a product that we can relate to or recognize. Their really doesn't need to be much to a name except that it is recognizable. I see a lot of similarities to disc names and car names as a lot of times they have nothing to do with the product but a name that you will remember.

Nine pages, and no one has pointed out to Aim For the Chains - known MVP fan - that Proton and Neutron plastics are not actually tiny portions of atoms?

You're slipping, DGCR. You're slipping.

Im ready to bust their balls too over the impulse, inertia, inspire which I think I have mixed up at least 10 different times in the past week alone.

and then we have these great releases :p
Einstein General Relativity Edition Stamped MVP Neutron Motion Distance Driver

Last edited:
Still waiting for a company to just name plastic good, better, best, good glow, better glow, lightweight

Would make selling them easier

A quickie on how you pronounce Innova

Is it supposed to sound like In-nova or Inn-ova?

thanks

A quickie on how you pronounce Innova

Is it supposed to sound like In-nova or Inn-ova?

thanks

There was a thread on this a while back. I pronounced it i NO vuh, but I believe it's supposed to be IN uh vuh. YMMV.

EDIT: Found it.