• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why are women not rated 1000+ rated?

Lets forget the 1000 barrier....Per the PDGA list posted above...There are only ~50 women above 900

1) I've played locally with a girl who can throw 400ft+ but her upshots and putting is abysmal. The next time I see her on the course I'm getting her full name. I do know she used to play pro, had a kid, stopped playing and is now hoping to play pro again.

2) I had a long discussion with a 1000+ rated pro recently and we discussed his technical abilities. He said his drives are between 320-350, approaches from 300+ are very accurate, and he said his putting from 40ft in was solid.

It sounds to me as if you are just making up players to support your position. There are 2 FPO players throwing 400 feet, your mystery mom isn't one of them. As for your 1000+ rated pro who only drives 320 but is great at 300 foot upshots, what is his name? I'll go ahead and call BS on all accounts.

^corwin_brown? We know there's no females.

:clap:

It sounds to me as if you are just making up players to support your position. There are 2 FPO players throwing 400 feet, your mystery mom isn't one of them.

there are 2 female TOURING PROS throwing over 400ft. there are more disc golfers than those on tour. don't judge distance by rating(true for guys also)

I had played with Melynda apton(was innova sponsored at one time, idk if she still is) 10 years ago, she wasn't even a pro, and didn't play tournaments yet. She still threw over 350ft.

The dream of getting good enough to travel and live out of your car playing tournaments isn't for everyone

It sounds to me as if you are just making up players to support your position. There are 2 FPO players throwing 400 feet, your mystery mom isn't one of them. As for your 1000+ rated pro who only drives 320 but is great at 300 foot upshots, what is his name? I'll go ahead and call BS on all accounts.

:clap:

lol.. I don't have a position. I was just stating 2 things while browsing this thread.

1) I've seen a female bomb 400ft. btw...she also said she has played with PP on several occasions. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't bombing 400ft every drive, when she warmed up she was crushing them. Actually, in the DFW area I've seen several women players who can throw very well.

"As for your 1000+ rated pro who only drives 320 but is great at 300 foot upshots, what is his name? I'll go ahead and call BS on all accounts."

2) Not sure why I was keeping his name out of the discussion, sorry. I've had discussions with a few pros the past month and on 2 occasions I was asked to keep the conversation private, not this one. The pro was "Jay Yeti Reading", currently rated 1000. He shot -15 down in the 1st round of a recent tournament I played in and quite frankly I was amazed he shot so well because as I watched him throw on a few holes, it was obvious he wasn't bombing 400+, etc. Ofcourse we all know how well can putt. lol.. But yep...320-350 drives, accurate 300ft approach shots, and that stellar putting. :clap:

Last edited:
So, you've got examples of girls throwing 400 ft, Cat beating out some 1000 rated pros at LaMarida, ridiculously low numbers of women even playing disc golf, but still there's those that think 1000 is unachievable because of genetics/science/physiology. Makes sense.

So, you've got examples of girls throwing 400 ft, Cat beating out some 1000 rated pros at LaMarida, ridiculously low numbers of women even playing disc golf, but still there's those that think 1000 is unachievable because of genetics/science/physiology. Makes sense.

Don't have time to check, but I wonder what the percentage of pro disc golfers men vs women that are rated 950+?

Ok, here's my angle. I've studied biomechanics, physiology, exercise physiology, anatomy, and motor skill acquisition. Throwing a disc is not something you have to be ripped for. Its a motor skill that can be trained and performed by just about anyone. A trained (you may need to look up what "trained" means) woman can learn to throw a disc pretty damn far. I'd bet my life on it. Also, an athletic woman, who practiced disc golf and played against good competition - even just better female competition, would have no trouble reaching an elite status if they put in the time. This is disc golf. Not foot ball. Think about the fundamental movements involved and how much strength is actually needed. Think about how 15 yr old boys can demolish 30 yr old men at the game. Then lulz at the idea of a woman exceeding your expectations.

I'll reiterate this and hope it sinks in to those that don't get it. Rating is a comparison to the field. To think women will become 1000 rated would be to imply women will progress faster than men. Since growth is primarily with men this is very unlikely. Even if women become better overtime, for them to reach 1000 rated women would have to outdo the progression of men. 1000 rated skill today is likely to be below 1000 rated skill in 5 years. Is it possible a woman could become 1000 rated? Sure. Is it probable? Not really with current growth and the way rating is calculated. Not to mention courses are getting longer.

I'll reiterate this and hope it sinks in to those that don't get it. Rating is a comparison to the field. To think women will become 1000 rated would be to imply women will progress faster than men. Since growth is primarily with men this is very unlikely. Even if women become better overtime, for them to reach 1000 rated women would have to outdo the progression of men. 1000 rated skill today is likely to be below 1000 rated skill in 5 years. Is it possible a woman could become 1000 rated? Sure. Is it probable? Not really with current growth and the way rating is calculated. Not to mention courses are getting longer.

This I can actually get. There's simply not enough women playing or competing against men and there may never be. Hypothetically though, it is possible. All I was ever saying.

Isn't it nice when we converse in a manner that isn't completely condescending and belittling?

Hugs.

This post is so good it built bridges lol :hfive:

A few more like this and people will soon forget how hard you trolled them in the past haha

Late to the thread but I think it has to do with physical limitations.

Yes, there are a few of the top women that can drive far enough to not be at a huge disadvantage against the men but that's only a few. Also, some may be able to drive long enough but not do it with any accuracy.

This leaks down to upshots and putting to a lesser degree.

I think unless we get a woman who is exceptionally gifted physically, sort of like Serena Williams is in tennis, we probably won't see a female rated 1000+.

Right now I think the highest rated female was Val Jenkins and Paige Pierce both posting 976 years. I think perhaps they could reach into the 980's or low 990's if they max out.

Paige puts up 1000+ rounds several times a year, just think that she can't do it consistent enough. That said, she's still better than all but maybe one of the male players in my area, so she's pretty badass.

Late to the thread but I think it has to do with physical limitations.

Yes, there are a few of the top women that can drive far enough to not be at a huge disadvantage against the men but that's only a few. Also, some may be able to drive long enough but not do it with any accuracy.

This leaks down to upshots and putting to a lesser degree.

I think unless we get a woman who is exceptionally gifted physically, sort of like Serena Williams is in tennis, we probably won't see a female rated 1000+.

Right now I think the highest rated female was Val Jenkins and Paige Pierce both posting 976 years. I think perhaps they could reach into the 980's or low 990's if they max out.

Paige puts up 1000+ rounds several times a year, just think that she can't do it consistent enough. That said, she's still better than all but maybe one of the male players in my area, so she's pretty badass.

Serena is gifted physically, however, she doesn't stand a chance against any man in the top 100 and probably not even 200

Serena is gifted physically, however, she doesn't stand a chance against any man in the top 100 and probably not even 200

No, she isn't going to beat any of the top men but she is a clear cut above physically compared to the other women.

To this point I don't see any woman that is physically that much more gifted than the rest.

Latest posts