• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people hate disc golf?

^great post.

I have to sadly disagree a bit with this part though:

There are among us a number of "disc golf should be like ball golf as much as possible" contingent that do not hesitate to rip out, cut, or break any vegetation they see fit to give the course what they feel is more of a ball golf aesthetic. :(

Okay, so I went with the absolutist approach. Can we dig a hole in the woods and bury those schmucks? I've never really understood that approach, even in a rookie.

One of saddest things I've ever seen were day hikes around Yellowstone. The overflowing garbage bins because people literally were too lazy to carry their garbage back to the car. And yes, someone should empty the bins, but if they're full, shouldn't you at least consider taking your stuff back to the car and taking it home? Now, most of these people aren't really hikers, but man were they pigs.

That's because most of the hikes at Yellowstone aren't challenging enough to weed out the typical American WiFi junkie or sports couch potato. I found the hikes at Yosemite, Zion, and Capital Reefs to be daunting enough to keep park baggers, families with kids, and out-of-shape fiffraff on the sidewalks.

That's because most of the hikes at Yellowstone aren't challenging enough to weed out the typical American WiFi junkie or sports couch potato. I found the hikes at Yosemite, Zion, and Capital Reefs to be daunting enough to keep park baggers, families with kids, and out-of-shape fiffraff on the sidewalks.

Yosemite has its issues too but you can get far enough into the woods to leave it behind.

If it is state land, and you installed a permanent course with no consent from the state, I can see why people are complaining. The course looks good, but you can't just waltz onto state land and do what you want with it, or at least not in my state. Hope it works out though, does look like a lot of work went into it.

I agree. It might be a great course, well laid out, scenic, and interfering with nobody, but if you didn't get permission from the state park to install it, you have no case. The fact that the complaint is frivolous doesn't matter, though if the course is done right you may be able to jump through all the hoops and get permission from the state park to keep it. If you can get that done, the complainer won't have a case. ;)

I agree. It might be a great course, well laid out, scenic, and interfering with nobody, but if you didn't get permission from the state park to install it, you have no case. The fact that the complaint is frivolous doesn't matter, though if the course is done right you may be able to jump through all the hoops and get permission from the state park to keep it. If you can get that done, the complainer won't have a case. ;)

The posts pertaining to the illegal course are four years old. Some hiker relit the thread to complain about how disc golf courses are destroying hiking areas, or similar. Take a look at the post dates.

I know the direction of the conversation has gone in a different direction but to answer the original question posted.....no one hates disc golf but lots of people hate disc golfers.....myself included. Of course I don't mean all disc golfers but for anyone who has actually traveled and played many courses you have surely run into lots of folks who give disc golf a bad name and are a huge black eye for the sport.

Of course I don't mean all disc golfers but for anyone who has actually traveled and played many courses you have surely run into lots of folks who give disc golf a bad name and are a huge black eye for the sport.

Couldn't disagree more. I have traveled all over the country playing disc golf and 99% of the people I've met while playing have been super nice. Sure, I've encountered the occasional Dbag, but I'd say the percentage is much lower than the general population.

For the most part I find disc golfers to be cool people.

Couldn't disagree more. I have traveled all over the country playing disc golf and 99% of the people I've met while playing have been super nice. Sure, I've encountered the occasional Dbag, but I'd say the percentage is much lower than the general population.

Disc golfers who like disc golfers are part of the problem!

The courses aren't vandalizing themselves....

I have to agree with roggenb3... at least in my experience, disc golfers have improved areas... some exceptions but there are jerks in every group...

I believe that Highland Park (Joliet, IL) was installed to help keep the rif raf out...

How would players throw to baskets which cannot be seen?!

A lot of "hate" people have for anything is often due to a lack of understanding. DG is peanuts compared to real issues in that same regard. We all need to work together, a lot more often.

Hey man, I happen to appreciate a good blind shot...

Additionally, one can not truly "hate" something unless they have an understanding of it first, but some people are stupid pessimists who conflate their pessimistic nature with real hatred. And that attribute permeates into every aspect of their life, resulting in "hate", for lack of a better word, apparently

Work together you say?

Last edited:
The courses aren't vandalizing themselves....
Sometimes they do:
2q8u1s2.jpg

file.php

Did the riff raff come from the Joliet state prison on mission from god?

From what I've been told, that park had a problem with seedy elements hanging out and doing things not appreciated by the community (read as drugs, sex, and rock & roll... or whatever :))

At the end of the day, I don't blame muggles for looking askew at disc golfers. They have no idea what you are doing out in the wilderness stomping around with a backpack on your back. You look like you could be sketch, they are just not sure. What if those kids are transporting or growing marijuana in the middle of nowhere. I tend to think these people think they are doing everyone a favor for keeping a close eye out on things. The fact is, disc golfers improve most areas where we are allowed to do our thing. I've seen in all over the country....parks in terrible neighborhoods that are suddenly safe to go into because there are a bunch of hippies walking around keeping an eye on things.

^great post.

I have to sadly disagree a bit with this part though:

There are among us a number of "disc golf should be like ball golf as much as possible" contingent that do not hesitate to rip out, cut, or break any vegetation they see fit to give the course what they feel is more of a ball golf aesthetic. :(

I try to not play with people like this. A bad shot shouldn't be as easy to throw from as a perfect shot. Duh!!!!!!!

Latest posts