• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people hate disc golf?

Just to clear up any confusion, you had permission to put the course on state land, right?

The OP is pretty clear about this. I put nothing there. I designed it with a local friend. He brought buckets out, which him, myself, and the law enforcement officer do not see as a big deal. The person who called does.

Did you call?

I think permission could be obtainable down the line particulary with the support of the local law but we all know how that process works with local politics and bureaucracies and that it is a ton of work but maybe someday. Wish I lived here for that reason.

So yes. Buckets are the gorrila aspect and where the rubber meets the road. Not technically legal but I would compare it to speeding 5mph over, particulary when the net effect is that the property ends up nicer from people walking around, beating the grass down, and kicking sticks off the trails. Also there is less likely to be others dumping trash there if they see folks there.

It sounds like you went out and used state or city land to install a DGC. It probably wouldn't have been a problem had you gone and got the required permit to install your tones.

Unfortunately there is no " tone poll" permit that I know of. What there is, is a never ending web of bureaucracy, parking lot requirements, bathroom requirements, opposing locals, and existing resource management plans.

I and proablably anyone who has helped install a course on public land, wish you could just fill out a form, mail it off, and 6 weeks later get back a fancy permit and that's that.

"Different strokes for different folks." You count your score in strokes, get it?

OK. I thought maybe I was supposed to mispronounce the word folks in order to hear it.

I get it now. I love being explained jokes. To me it's even funnier than the joke itself.

Just to play devil's advocate here...

If there are disc golfers (and, really, any kind of increased human presence in a wooded area), that's going to lead to increased litter, especially beer cans and bottles, which are as unsightly as ****. If that land doesn't have something in place to take care of that extra litter, I can see why someone would be upset. I mean, a lot of disc golfers are total losers who will just leave their trash laying around.

That probably wasn't even the reason for the complaint, though.

Unfortunately there is no " tone poll" permit that I know of. What there is, is a never ending web of bureaucracy, parking lot requirements, bathroom requirements...and existing resource management plans.

It is called "dealing with government".

Wait until you have this kind of fun obtaining your health care.

Umm I'm pretty sure I haven't been to Maine in over 15 years so no I didn't call. Do you post on sites so a bunch of people will agree with you?

As pissy as people on this site get about "Big Gubmint" all up in their business, state land is for everyone, not just 2 people to decide what the primary use of it is. This thread is headed for the landfill anyways so why bother.

Last edited:
does the course go near anyone's backyards?
how many people play the course would you say?
how many non disc golfers walk that area? are people too close to flying discs? like picnic area, dog walk, trails, playground or parking lot?
did a disc fly into the road and at a car? are there many cars on the road? discs can break car windows...

disc golf can be rough on trees and scare wildlife away. its a fact. also every course i've been to has grafiti, litter, broken beer bottles, etc. some of these are (to me) legitimate reasons people would have to not like a disc golf course. for the same reasons they would not want a ball golf course near a road, playground, backyard, parking lot. flying objects can hurt!

did you talk to the 'maintainer' of the land? is he a volunteer or is he paid for that job?

looks like a nice location for a course tho. i love courses thru forests. even if they take out your poles, you can tie up some ribbons and make it an object course.

If it is state land, and you installed a permanent course with no consent from the state, I can see why people are complaining. The course looks good, but you can't just waltz onto state land and do what you want with it, or at least not in my state. Hope it works out though, does look like a lot of work went into it.

Yesterday I was talking to my girlfriends father and he asked how fishing was and I explained to him that I have been to busy disc golfing to fish the past year and he started telling me about how he was hunting in MA by Hyland Brewery during shotgun season and heard rustling int he woods and got ready to fire only to see 2 guys walking int he woods. He proceeded to yell at them about how they were in danger walking without orange jackets on.

I had to hold back my emotions when telling him that there is a disc golf course on the brewery/orchards property now and that its not the disc golfers job to be visible when on private land playing on a privately owned course and that he was the problem hunting near private property. Not the disc golfers. i told him he should stop hunting that land even though eh has permission from the adjacent land owner to use it if he cant stay far enough away from the private land with a course on it.

Almost always it is just out of spite, for whatever reason... and the old ladies TV would drown out people playing disc golf. Increased human activity scares away wildlife, not the fact that disc golf is being played. If the cop isn't worried about it, then change the set up so you are out of view. As long as he doesn't have to deal with complaints, he won't care. I gather this from your story. Is this certain spot worth it to you is one question you should ask yourself, just not out loud in a crowded elevator. :)