• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is chartreuse the new shirt color of choice?

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Just a gripe: Since when did wearing a spotter shirt become acceptable for tournament play? I know that this is relatively minor - but those shirts came out in the first place as a disc golf thing when Discraft started handing out those and the dayglo orange shirts to spotters at events. And now? Everyone considers them tournament acceptable colors, companies release polos and drifits in the color...

Seriously, all tournament long you're buried in the woods, or you're taking a putt.... and where you'd normally never ever notice that guy 300 feet away, or you'd never see the people walking up the fairway through that patch of trees: you've got flashes of super-reflective dayglo greens and oranges lighting it up.

I got a hat that color once. I wore it to a few events, and then realized just how distracting it was. Now it stays home. I wear it when I am going out or going to class... Not for organized cash rounds of golf!

It doesn't cause me to miss strokes, I step off the putt or shot, re-set, and go. But it IS a completely ridiculous and unnecessary bit of discourtesy to the rest of the people playing the event. We aren't there to stare at you in your eye-raping shirt. We're there to focus on and play hot rounds of golf.

It's not disc golf specific. That color is becoming more and more common for athletic wear. I know a lot of running shirts are made in that color to help with visibility on the road.

if someone's shirt color impacts you that much I am not sure there is help for that.

Have you watched any sport on TV before? I wouldn't consider any of the uniforms or outfits etc to be hunting camouflage. People get distracted way too easily playing DG like we are in a communist library or something. You can't control animals, cars, planes and so on.. deal with it'

Not to mention the 1 million other bigger issues in disc golf and daily life which could be hashed out. Hope your day gets better.

so you're more worried about people being distracted by your flashy hat on the course than in class?

I've noticed a lot more elderly wearing loud clothes like this lately. I'm conflicted, because on one hand it's good they're reducing their ability to be turned into speed bumps but on the other hand it's drawing my eye to look at old people more and that's a con.

when i'm playing, i tend to focus on the target area and try to ignore everything else
i honestly never notice what somebody 300' away is wearing

Just a gripe: Since when did wearing a spotter shirt become acceptable for tournament play? I know that this is relatively minor - but those shirts came out in the first place as a disc golf thing when Discraft started handing out those and the dayglo orange shirts to spotters at events. And now? Everyone considers them tournament acceptable colors, companies release polos and drifits in the color...

Seriously, all tournament long you're buried in the woods, or you're taking a putt.... and where you'd normally never ever notice that guy 300 feet away, or you'd never see the people walking up the fairway through that patch of trees: you've got flashes of super-reflective dayglo greens and oranges lighting it up.

I got a hat that color once. I wore it to a few events, and then realized just how distracting it was. Now it stays home. I wear it when I am going out or going to class... Not for organized cash rounds of golf!

It doesn't cause me to miss strokes, I step off the putt or shot, re-set, and go. But it IS a completely ridiculous and unnecessary bit of discourtesy to the rest of the people playing the event. We aren't there to stare at you in your eye-raping shirt. We're there to focus on and play hot rounds of golf.

I think your sponsor would disagree with you. Maybe focus on yourself instead of everyone else.

OP, you've got problems if other people's clothing color choices are affecting you.
Seriously.
Bright colors are popular.
Get over it.

I feel the pain, OP. The nerve of some people, wearing whatever color they want to a tournament. It should also be a rule that mini skirts dont come any bigger than a size 6, but I digress.

The OP belongs in the pet peeve thread.

Also WTF is chartreuse? No man should know anymore than 10 colors. Black, white, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, pink, and brown.

^I'm with this guy. I had to Google that color last week because those new Champion Gazelles were offered in it. I'm still not entirely sure what it is even though my girlfriend tried her best to explain it. I just refused to buy it. Screw you Innova. Good thing you still had orange available.

None of you are ever distracted by something in your peripheral vision or movement behind the pin?

Not really defending the OP here, but bright colors like that can draw your eye/attention more than a color that's more likely to appear in nature. That's why they're available for safety reasons.

Maybe a better argument is that those colors shouldn't exist for everyday wear because they will eventually reduce their effectiveness in serving their original, intended purpose?

Wow, OP is taking some heat. I am not a fan of these colors and would not really wear them, but the whole golf/disc golf concentration makes me kind of laugh. I don't really play tournaments, but certainly play other games and sports competitively. I always thought having to be quiet during a golfers swing or disc golfers throw was dumb. I am not quiet during a hockey players shot, or a baseball players swing. And heck, those guys are trying to hit something moving at 100 mph, not standing still. I would love a crazy rachous crowds at disc golf events, I might attend more. If I am knocked off my game...really by anything...that is on me.

Personally I'm fine with #99FF00, but when people around me are wearing #00FF00 while I'm trying to putt it makes me see #E8110F.

I've played with guys who are constantly distracted by things. A squirrel moving in the leaves, someone talking 4 holes away, somebody taking a sip of water, etc. These guys constantly complain, use those complaints as excuses for why they missed the shot and are generally a dark cloud of a human being. I laugh at those guys. A lot.

OP having flashbacks of horrible outfits from the 80's?