• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why is uphill harder than downhill?

=lyleoross;3239435]Uphill is harder than downhill because you have to walk up the hill after your throw.

Albert Einstein

1) Gravity is the same, whether you throw uphill or downhill.

3) As slowplastic wrote so correctly, discs fly the same, uphill or downhill.

5. Throws uphill are going to be shorter, this should be obvious. That means that the full flight path of the disc is not likely to be achieved.

[quote/]

1 and 3 are either flat wrong or at least misleading as it pertains to throwing a disc as pointed out by 5.

Lots of argument over a pretty simple concept.

Gravity pulls things downhill. Uphill throws are fighting gravity; downhill throws are helped by gravity. Uphill throws slow down faster; downhill throws stay fast for longer (or maybe even speed up).

Or, to look at it in free-body diagram form:
TXHeGe0.jpg

I don't think gravity itself can speed something up. It can keep something going fast longer. Maybe my physics is vague.

Of course it can. That's exactly what falling is. Until terminal velocity is reached, that is.

It's been a while since I took physics, but acceleration caused by gravity is somewhere around 9.8 m/s squared.

I don't think gravity itself can speed something up. It can keep something going fast longer. Maybe my physics is vague.

If you stand on the edge of a cliff and drop a disc off the edge, it will speed up from 0 to some positive value (30 or 40 or 50 mph), accelerating until it runs into the ground.

If I throw a gentle throw down a 30deg slope, releasing at 30mph, it just might accelerate.

If I throw a hard throw down a 10deg slope, releasing at 70mph, it's probably not going to accelerate. But it will retain its speed a little longer than normal, and the disc will turn more than it normally would.

When you are throwing an uphill shot, the land rises to meet you? If you throw a 400ft shot in a field, the disc has to lose all of it's energy before falling to the earth. If you try that shot uphill, it would run out of room because it would hit the hill/terrain? Unless you threw it straight up. There isn't enough possible flight paths to reach a long distance throwing uphill because of the terrain? just throwing some stuff out there. Who knows.

Latest posts