• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why MUST We Throw Certain Discs?

King was one i heard great things about and it just didn't work for me. Don't have a very big arm, but it would just pitch to the right and cut roll on me every time. I'm holding on to it for now as I beat my form to death, hoping it was OAT or something, but the even more understable freedom(at least the numbers claim) flies great for me.

King was one i heard great things about and it just didn't work for me. Don't have a very big arm, but it would just pitch to the right and cut roll on me every time. I'm holding on to it for now as I beat my form to death, hoping it was OAT or something, but the even more understable freedom(at least the numbers claim) flies great for me.
There was a run of kings that were very under stable. My buddy had one. I've heard that they've corrected this.

I think that the Buzzz is the only disc that I specifically bought and threw because of someone's recommendation. At the time, I was pretty content with my S.M. Rocs, but thought I'd try out the Buzzz anyway. And the Buzzz is
still in my bag. The S.M. Roc isn't.

Otherwise, I've picked all of my other molds based upon flight charts, numbers, etc., not really going with the "flavor of the day."

However, I still haven't thrown the Eagle, Teebird or Firebird... classics in just about anyone's book. So I might end up throwing some discs like these eventually "just because I should."

There are certain discs that most people don't gel with from the start but once they work with them, and learn them, they can do amazing things. The Comet comes to mind as one of those discs.

I have way to many discs first of all... So I swap stuff out nearly every week with the exception of putters and about 4 discs. I LOVE throwing different discs and new discs. For me that one disc I will never take out of the bag is my Cheetah, no one else I've met throws them in fact when they see I have one they trade or sell me theirs. It's just that disc that when I pull it out I know it's going to fly perfectly on line and land just where I want, it's kind of weird but I can really crank on a couple champion ones and really send them downfield better than some of my higher speed discs.

There are a lot of molds I tried to like, but must of the ones I throw are not extremely popular.

I mean, when is the last time someone raved about an Ape or a Touch on a forum?

Other than the Firebirds and Harps my bag is pretty weird and I'm cool with that as long as it's working. When any disc stops working its out no matter how popular.

As long as it doesn't feel like homework, I'll throw anything.

Any time I hear "you need to throw disc xyz to work on your form until you can get it out to 300 feet etc." No thanks.

I'm with you. I hate being told what to throw. I get the logic, but I'm not strong. I have a noodle arm. The farthest I've ever thrown was about 350'. Downhill. My average drive is probably in the 250' range. I'm not spending the rest of my life just driving putters because I don't have "DGCR distance". Of course in DGCR distance my average drive is about 375 and my personal best was 998' downhill...

Molds that "are" amazing that I don't like (off the top of my head):

Aviar
BB Aviar
Wizard
Roc (and all 190485710394857157 variants)
Gator
PD
Firebird
Predator
Meteor
all Vibram (sorry guys)
refuse to even try Prodigy or DD
Leopard
Pure
Teebird
Zone
Ion
Envy
Wasp
Destroyer
Roadrunner
Stingray
Volt
Comet
Shark

The list goes on. I throw what I have found works and don't think I apply to your OP. I feel like there's many here who agree and am curious what makes you think that everyone feels the need to throw what is the "right" choice:|

Out of the 55,000 members DGCR has (let alone lurkers) how many do you think actually bag the Cobra?

Out of the 55,000 members DGCR has (let alone lurkers) how many do you think actually bag the Cobra?

DX Cobra is always in my bag. But so are at least three discs that are in your "don't like" list.

I have a couple champ cobras in the rotation, like them better than the rocs

When I started out the salesman at Dick's (who I am pretty sure had never seen a disc golf course) sold me the Innova DX beginner pack and a 155g DX Beast ("for the really long shots"). I spent a lot of time trying to make those discs work. The Beast was the worst. Every so often I would get an amazing (for me at the time) throw with the DX Beast. I clung to the idea that once I got it all figured out the Beast would be "the" disc for me. My original wore out (as DX do) and I tried to replace it with a pro, champion, and star - none of which would even give me the limited success the DX did. Eventually, I stopped using this disc when my brand new Star Beast made me look like a fool on three different pins at Richmond Hill and I switched to the Leopard and it performed like a champ. The only problem is, now that I'm writing this I am beginning to feel that old yearning to go pull a Beast out of the box in the trunk of my car and give it another shot. It might work this time . . . maybe . . . it could happen . . .

Well I'm a southpaw, so I'm forced to throw only left-handed discs. Fortunately most of the manufacturers recognize us for the talented minority that we are and have made great strides in thrower and flight equality.

The only discs I've tried that I really didn't like were the Firebird, Nuke SS, Saint, DX Wraith, Glow DX Beast, Volt, and Grid stamped Aviar.

Too overstable, too squirrely, not overstable enough, way too flippy, way too flippy, too stable and dumpy, and a crappy putter in crappy plastic.

I really wanted to like the Firebird, Saint, and Volt but they just didn't deliver on the hype.

I highly doubt anyone is suffering through throwing a disc.

If they are then they're doing it wrong.

I dont like firebirds. I feel dirty just saying that out loud. I bag a monster that works much better for ne

Pretty sure team Prodigy was saying this to themselves at the beginning.
Bwahahaha!!!! Nominated for best post of 2015 to date!

My Volts, oh my Volts. Too cool to be cool kids all throw them. I bought them. I couldn't throw them. Someday, someday.
Let's meet up somewhere, I've got tons of stuff to trade, and would love some extra Volts.

Personally I think it comes down to finances. I bought several discs that I had no use for in college. As most of my friends only had one or two discs I couldn't trade them off, so I kept them and tried to learn them. In college, buying a new disc ate up a big chunk of my beer money for the week. Nowadays buying a disc means I pack my lunch instead of going out to eat. In college I had time and no money, so I forced myself to learn discs. Now I have money, but my time is constrained, so I'm not going to piss time away on a disc I don't like fairly quickly.