• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wife has caught the DG bug - o man, I'm pumped!!

One thing ball golfers have learned and its sort of common knowledge. NEVER give your wife instructions unless she asks for it. Or if you do small one liners but very very few.
Let them fail and figure things out.

Wish I could have heard this months ago. :doh:

I notice when girls try it out they are actually way more controlled than guys and often straight not getting off all crazy like some of us because they don't even have the option...

Kayaking beginners were like this too. Women have better balance and dexterity. But meatheads can't wrap their minds around the fact that women are naturally better at some things.

One thing ball golfers have learned and its sort of common knowledge. NEVER give your wife instructions unless she asks for it. Or if you do small one liners but very very few.
Let them fail and figure things out.

And only tell her what she does RIGHT.

Never what she did wrong.

She'll do any particular thing right eventually, if only by accident. Those are the teaching moments.

My wife has no interest in flying discs and won't even walk the course with me. It's hot here though.

The OP's wife has a great starting lineup. The driver she wants is a Cheetah. Hell, they're cheap - get a Gazelle too.

you lucky dog...

tell me where i can find these women.

Yes.

I've tried everything and can't get my wife to play. You are one lucky dog.

Yup, got my wife a custom dyed Anode with the Patriots logo on it. It's "too pretty" for her to throw....

I told my wife we need to start playing. If she's in the right mood, she'll putt a few times in the yard with me, but that's about it.

Hopefully, she'll come around, and catch the bug like your wife did.

She'll putt once and awhile. She's also pretty good that if we go to a new area that has courses and we have the time, she'll walk with me, so I've got that.

My wife has no interest in flying discs and won't even walk the course with me. It's hot here though.

The OP's wife has a great starting lineup. The driver she wants is a Cheetah. Hell, they're cheap - get a Gazelle too.

Tough break. See my above response, at least I have her walking with me. :\

My wife will play every now and then, she picked out a few of her own discs. Only advice I can give her is if she asks for it, or if we are in the field.

Mostly I just tell her what she did right on her better throws and give her positive encouragement.

It's so much fun when you have someone to share the addiction. My fiancee is into disc golf, and we've played 715 different courses together, having a navigator on road trips and someone who always understands when you want to go play leagues is huge. I hope you know how lucky you are. :p

It's so much fun when you have someone to share the addiction. My fiancee is into disc golf, and we've played 715 different courses together, having a navigator on road trips and someone who always understands when you want to go play leagues is huge. I hope you know how lucky you are. :p

Showoff

715 courses together and she's only your fiancee? :D

The OP and you are very lucky.

However, I do want to state the other perspective here from someone happily married for 15 years. My wife is not into Disc Golf and I'm fine with that. Cuz you know, I like to DG with my guy friends. Sometimes guys need to talk about stuff their wives should not hear ;) DG is a good opportunity for that.

715 courses together and she's only your fiancee? :D

The OP and you are very lucky.

However, I do want to state the other perspective here from someone happily married for 15 years. My wife is not into Disc Golf and I'm fine with that. Cuz you know, I like to DG with my guy friends. Sometimes guys need to talk about stuff their wives should not hear ;) DG is a good opportunity for that.

Absolutely, and that's why we have an agreement that either of us is allowed to go play without the other at any time as long as it's not a new course we haven't played yet. :)

She's not as into leagues and tourneys as I am, so I often do those without her, but having someone who totally gets the addiction and never complains about me spending that time even when she's not interested is pretty awesome.

Cuz you know, I like to DG with my guy friends. Sometimes guys need to talk about stuff their wives should not hear DG is a good opportunity for that.

I totally understand that. When I'm with DJ it's a different golf event then with the gang.

What I'm finding surprising here is the lack of wife bashing! I'm impressed.

My wife got semi hooked a couple of years ago. Went to the store and of course picked on 2 of the most expensive discs on the shelf. Now I can't hardly get her out. Maybe once a season. I will say she rarely complains about my addiction to it.

My wife got semi hooked a couple of years ago. Went to the store and of course picked on 2 of the most expensive discs on the shelf. Now I can't hardly get her out. Maybe once a season. I will say she rarely complains about my addiction to it.

I feel your pain. I bought my wife a DyeMax disc with our daughter's picture on it because I knew she'd like in and I hope that she would throw it. Turns out she likes the disc "too much" to throw, and I still can't get her to go..... :doh:

Strangest thing this year I have seen GROUPS of girls out at the courses and played through a pair of 2 older women this morning.. Never before has this happened nor do I even remember seeing so many players of the opposite sex in one year.

Nice work!

I see twosome of girls at my local course all the time. Usually not too good but it's nice to see some women getting in on the fun.

She is in good shape but zero muscles and has now increased her distance to 60 feet on good throws and she LOVES it.

Sounds like my daughter. Got her started 2 months ago. She throws the occasional tomahawk rollers, but mostly backhand so far.

NOW - she has a Aviar P&G, a Shark (lighter then mine) Comet and a Cobra.

Those are all great discs. Daughter has all but the Comet, but I have 3 of those.

My problem now is this morning she said - I wish I had a driver . . .I know I can't throw it but . . . .

She was looking at bags yesterday for her 4 discs. She REALLY wants a buzzz but can't find one light enough and in the right color :)

Find a 150 DX Leopard. I have a 150 Star as well, but it's more OS for sure. The lighter Buzzzes are out there. No picture, but 163 Steel Blue at Hyzer Farm on Ebay. I ordered from them back in May. It's Scott Papa from Discraft.

Marshall St has a 164 X Buzzz in Magenta.

I notice when girls try it out they are actually way more controlled than guys and often straight not getting off all crazy like some of us because they don't even have the option.

Holes 7 and 10 at Charlie Vettiner are next to each other and my kids and I had just finished 10 and my oldest pointed out a woman in the group that was just starting 7. I watched all their drives. 2 guys ended up halfway to the hole, but on the edge or in the woods. 1 hit a tree about 50 feet down for the shortest throw. One guy bombed pretty far but drifted right into the edge of the woods.

When the woman had throws (3rd of the 5 I think) she threw right around halfway to the hole. It was the 2nd shortest throw, but she was the only one of them cleanly in the fairway. I had already helped them spot for a couple throws so I yelled over that it looks like she had the best lie of all of them. She seemed pleased that got pointed out heh.

took my then gf dg'ing on our 3rd date. she was hooked after the first round. now 3 years later, married, and we have a rule that states if I buy a new disc for me, I also have to buy one for her.

DG is more expensive when you're always buying for another.

while she has no interest in tourney's, easing her into some casual local dubs here and there.

fun times for sure.

My leopard is 169 and she is looking for lighter (so am I). but when I said I had one she really wants to try it today. I also have a Buzzz and Shark but Buzzz is on loan (what was I thinking!!!)
Grab a diamond by lat64. My wife plays also and she loves it. Hell I've got 2 in my bag. My older arm loves light drivers.

I had a discin chick but she got away.... came to tourneys leagues everything.... gave her lots of discs i wish i still had now.... never let them go!

great white buffalo...... :D

Latest posts