• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Will I ever learn to throw a driver ?

PBokor

Eagle Member
As I begin my 6th week of DG, I am wondering how long it took other players to 'grow' into their drivers? I am an older player with a weak throw. I doubt I will ever exceed 300' (except for freak throws) so I am concentrating on accuracy over distance. I only throw 8 discs regularly, all slow and light (150g or less), though I have others in heavier weights for experimentation, windy days, or future growth. I get in field practice every two or three days and course play every week or two.

After averaging 25 measured throws with each of my eight primary learning discs, it seems that I am carrying 6-7 too many. I putt with the Colt 80% of the time.

Drivers: Valkyrie 177', Tee-Bird 172', Leopard 191'
Mids: Cobra 181', Shark 175'
P&A: Colt 185', Aviar 166', Birdie 154'

My drivers require much more open space for me to land them near my target. Mids and P&A are low, straight, and true.

My question is how long did it take you to learn throw higher speed discs as far and as accurately as low speed ones? And what helped most? (especially from older players)

Also, any comments on disc selection are encouraged.

Thanks !

For your sixth week of play, you have far too many discs. I recommend when playing rounds, you carry only the Leopard and the Colt. The Valk is far too fast for you, the Teebird is too fast and overstable. The Shark and Cobra really aren't needed until you can get longer drives and have need of discs between your Leopard and Colt.

For reference, I'm an old guy. I've been playing for a long time. I chose the nuclear option on my driving form about a year and a half ago--started over from scratch. Right now, I can throw longer than I was able to thirty years ago--improved form does a lot for distance, even when aging muscles are involved.

I won't say there's a quick way to get more distance. I can say you can certainly get to where you can throw farther than 300'. Go read on the Technique & Strategy board. HUB and SW and the guys provide a lot of good instruction.

I would recommend only throwing one of the mid ranges, I would throw the Shark out of what you have, and the putter. Basically a throwing disc and a putting disc and that's it. Work up to "drivers". Most people go too quickly to drivers because that's what's being marketed as "distance" when in actuality newer players, and low power players need to throw mids and putters. Remember 30 years ago "putters" were considered "drivers", Good job on keeping the weight down in the 150 class this will help you add speed to your throw and ultimately distance over a heavy weight disc. A lot of people throw discs that are too heavy for them because 'pro's throw heavy weight discs and they are pro's so they know what's best for me' or simple peer pressure or shaming users who use light discs. I recently switched to all 150's and I can throw well over 300 feet. It took me seriously about five years to throw 250 feet so keep working at it and it will come. :)

Hey you're in Maple Valley, right? You play White River or Fenwick? Just curious I'm rarely that far South.

sillybizz - White River a few times, once for score. Great place, friendly locals, good shot diversity, and not too long to intimidate newbies. Plus, Tom (CD at WR) is helping us build Gaffney's Grove in my hometown. http://www.maplevalleywa.gov/depart...-activities-classes-programs/disc-golf-course

Fenwick is wicked difficult for a guy with one good hip like me. Too many goat trails and any rain makes it even more difficult. Good technical course for young legs.

Cheers

sillybizz - White River a few times, once for score. Great place, friendly locals, good shot diversity, and not too long to intimidate newbies. Plus, Tom (CD at WR) is helping us build Gaffney's Grove in my hometown. http://www.maplevalleywa.gov/depart...-activities-classes-programs/disc-golf-course

Fenwick is wicked difficult for a guy with one good hip like me. Too many goat trails and any rain makes it even more difficult. Good technical course for young legs.

Cheers

:thmbup:

Oh sweet! Is there a time table for baskets at the new course? I would love to help put in some baskets oh yeah and play the course too!

I was throwing 9 speed drivers right away, didn't even touch a mid or putter for like a couple of years. I was **** at first but basically it just comes down to repetition till you crush those discs. Just go out with a driver and a putter and get your training in. Don't worry about distance just throw 70-80% of power and get the accuracy going. Once I learned to dial down power and focus on form in the early days the discs start flying perfectly. LOL now years later I'm going 100% power and now realize why I suck with certain discs. :D I'm gonna have to rock that 70% power again.

Saying your drivers require open space tells me you are throwing them on some serious curvy lines to compensate for not being able to throw them straight. That's a good sign that you're not using them properly and better off without them.

Tossing a Birdie 150' tells me you have the potential to throw farther, but you need to work on form as the faster discs are more sensitive.

I'm 51 and am a newbie playing pretty obsessively for a year. I couldn't throw drivers worth $hit for several months, and concentrated on form and technique with my mids (was actually afraid of drivers, a little). eventually I started trying drivers on occasion, and slowly threw them with more confidence and accuracy. I'm still not at the 300' mark, but my shots with both mids and drivers have improved dramatically. hucking mids a TON got me there. I still have an unhealthy crush on mids and general, but fairway drivers are getting used WAY more than they were even a few months ago.

Thanks to all who responded

TAFL - When playing rounds, I usually only throw the Leo on really open fairways (20-25%), otherwise it is the Shark on every tee or long approach. It seems to have an uncanny ability to avoid trees. I added the Birdie because two holes at my local course have serious consequences if you throw pin high (a cliff and then a raging river if 20' past the basket). Bought the Colt on a lark and immediately fell in lust with it. I made more putts with it than all my other discs combined and short approaches felt easy.

sillybizz - The arborist marked and felled the few trees that were removed earlier this month. The excess foliage and underbrush are being removed as I type. Front nine are completed, back nine next work party. Concrete tee pads should go in late August/early September. Baskets in late September. Hoping for an early October Grand Opening. It will be a short, tight, heavily wooded course with a bit of elevation. Plays right into my weak, wimpy throws.

demon102 - Interesting approach, but I don't want to wait a couple of years to improve. Not sure how years many of decent throwing I have left, but I am looking for more rapid improvement. I'm 56 , RHBH (for now, until I learn a RHFH) and have no cartilage left in my right hip , though otherwise healthy and whole. Some throws just won't ever be in my bag of tricks.

INTP - Spot on. Mids and putter go straight and true. Drivers tend to wander and I rarely throw them except for practice.

zontar - I always play alone and throw my mids for record, but occasionally toss a driver as a 'provisional' just to see what happens. So far, I am usually disappointed.

Thank You All For Helping. I am grateful.

Paul Bokor

You may want to try a latitude diamond. I am 55 and a few of my friends that are older than me throw one. they come in light weights, and are listed as a easy to use driver. They really do fly far and strait with little effort. When you start turning that over too much you can step up to a jade. You will love it.

You may want to try a latitude diamond. I am 55 and a few of my friends that are older than me throw one. they come in light weights, and are listed as a easy to use driver. They really do fly far and strait with little effort. When you start turning that over too much you can step up to a jade. You will love it.

This. Diamond is just as advertised, easy to throw. The Jade is just plain awesome, it can even handle decent amounts of wind. Highly recommend the approach the good Doctor prescribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discovered the Diamond/Jade combo when I came to Leadville Colorado to spend the summer. At 10,000 feet elevation with a lot of uphill drives these lighter/understable discs have been exactly what I needed. I look forward to seeing how they work for me back down closer to sea level.

I have had a lot of use out drivers since my second month for forehand throws. It was easy for me to throw drivers that way, but it is only recently that I have been able to successfully throw any mids (Blowfly and King Cobra) fh. Being able to throw both bh and fh has been an important part of my game. My fh throws have always had better snap and speed than my bh, and the lower speed drivers that I use fly properly, so I feel that I have been right/ready to throw them, even if I wasn't ready when throwing bh.

While I have been using drivers for bh since the beginning, I will admit that they have mostly been wasted on me. Mostly. However, lately I have disced down a lot, and am now getting better use out of drivers bh, enough so that I have finally been able to start hyzer flipping.

Another recommendation for the Diamond, here!

oh yeah, the Diamond! I found one and throw it religiously. played a tournament with a 73 yo who ONLY throws Diamonds and he plays in Worlds. Recommended....

I agree with the discing down to mids for drives sentiment. As a player that's pretty familiar with under weight discs, I'd recommend trying a mid like a Prodigy M4. They're are easy neutral mids to throw and come in weights well below 160 grams in both base (350RX) and premium (400G) plastic. Not many other companies a boast this accomplishment.

Disc recommendation aside, it never hurts to throw with players that are better than you. To this day, I still benefit from watching a good players technique and how they attack a course.

I'm 56 and have been playing for 14 months. I have just recently broke the 300 barrier. My most consistent driver is a 165 Pro Beast. Also use a 140 Blizzard Vulcan that I can get out there but it is super sensitive. I have purchased many discs thru the past year looking for the one with super powers. Doesn't exist. Its all about how you throw. When I first started I was excited to get anything over 200 feet. Hours and hours of standing in a field throwing disc and still working at it. :wall:

On another note I have been very pleased with my Latitude 64 River, I find it to be like a longer Leopard. Also I found having a Buzzz to be very helpful. Very versatile easy to throw disc. JMO

For the Diamond and the Jade, what seems to be the recommendations for plastic choices?

the opto is like champion plastic very very durable last forever, the gold line is more like star plastic, also very very durable. Opto is very grippy I personally like gold line but they are both premium plastic... Good luck with your purchase , keep us posted.