• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

winter in colorado

If you're in the Mountains, you're screwed - most of the courses get pulled. In Denver or the Desert, many people play all year round, snow or no snow.

What do you guys do during the winter? Do they clear the course or do you just not play during the winter?

I'm not in CO, but as a Montanan I feel qualified to answer. In short - Neither. I play alot during the winter, but usually use it as an opportunity to work on my mid / putter game. You can't get the footing you need for big drives, and blunt nosed discs are far less likely to 'dive' into the snow. Winter is all about short tees and field practice for me. :D

I've wondered about that too. I've played in the snow before, but that was in the Seattle area... Meaning that we had 2" and it was about 28 degrees. I don't know what I'd do with 3'.

Phantom Falls DGC is open, and plays very well all winter long!! All the others (Conifer/BR, Bailey, Ghost Town, and Mountain Meadows) are snowed in after December-ish.

I'm not in CO, but as a Montanan I feel qualified to answer. In short - Neither. I play alot during the winter, but usually use it as an opportunity to work on my mid / putter game. You can't get the footing you need for big drives, and blunt nosed discs are far less likely to 'dive' into the snow. Winter is all about short tees and field practice for me. :D

This... plus we tape a few feet of ribbon on the discs so when it does get buried in the snow you can find it easier. Winter golf for me is not about score, just having fun in the snow and, more times than not, having the course to yourself. If it's really deep I'll break out the snow shoes.

We don't get that kind of fun around here. Just 25-30 mph winds constantly biting into you. Every once in a while we get a little snow but it doesn't interfere with DG though.

In Colorado Springs, the snow rarely sticks around long enough to be an issue at the courses. It usually melts within a couple of days. Jellystone and Sakuna (anywhere with trees) can be icy and the snow sticks around a bit longer. Like others say, just work on form/mids and either put a streamer on your disc or have a great spotter.

In Denver we have a league called Winter Warriors that runs every Saturday from November to Feburary finishing with the Ice Bowl. So, to answer the question, yes we play year around.

last year we had almost no snow days here in Colorado Springs. Jellystone plowed a single track through the fairways, which was nice because it gave a point of reference to find your disc. Denver actually had a lot more snow than down here. Paulie has a pretty good southern facing piece of property so PF would be mostly playable (thinking the Dark Side might be a better sledding hill!). Cottonwood gets beaten down rapidly so it's usually playable a couple of days after snow. Widefield melts off quickly.

the cut off for Sunday doubles in Calgary in the winter is anything below -20 Celcius...or -4F for yous guys

ribbons are generally added until we have walked the course enough to trample the snow or it gets hard and crusty cause it's been so damn cold

distances go down
it's hard to pull close to the chest when you are wearing a lot of winter clothing

Although I'm miles from the mountains, we do get a fair bit of snow in Buffalo, NY. Lake effect can add up quickly. We keep playing, at least the most hardy of us do. I've played in temps hovering around 0 and wind chills in the negative double digits. The wife and I love winter golf. Dress properly and don't forget the handwarmers. Your game suffers, but its a ton of fun. There's nothing like a crisp, cold winter's morning with several inches of virgin powder on the course.

After this Africa hot summer, I can't wait for the snow.

A group of us played all winter this year on Saturdays at sunrise and usually a couple times during the week. The coldest we played in was -14F at tee-off.

I'm not a search guy, but if you do some searching you'll find a lot of good tips for playing in the cold & snow. And I'm sure as we get closer, it is still summer for one more day, a bunch of new and old threads will emerge.