• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter jacket recommendations

The problem with primaloft, or any down or down synthetic jacket, is that they are not very durable. Depending on the kinds of courses you play this can be an issue. I like my sythetic down jacket a lot for disc golf, but only on courses that don't have a lot of trees. Tree branches will poke your jacket and rip holes in it when you get off the fairway.

The problem with primaloft, or any down or down synthetic jacket, is that they are not very durable. Depending on the kinds of courses you play this can be an issue. I like my sythetic down jacket a lot for disc golf, but only on courses that don't have a lot of trees. Tree branches will poke your jacket and rip holes in it when you get off the fairway.

I crashed my motorcycle in one and slid across pavement.
A couple small rips, yes, but I patched them with tent repair patches and kept on going on.
The bonus with PrimaLoft is that if you are buying it, its generally a higher quality manufacturer so this isn't usually an issue.
Though, with the amount of external sticking in the Patagonia Nano after a couple years this does become an issue. Just depends on if you really care about a few frayed threads while tossing discs.

First, welcome to New England Team Challenge ... the best, toughest, most dedicated winter disc golf league in the nation. Speaking as the captain of the A Pool champs (Team Cran), if you (or your captain) have any questions regarding strategy, send me a pm here or on facebook ... I'm more than willing to share some basic ideas.

Second, as a 13 year vet of winter disc, my standard attire is usually a medium weight thermal poly/synthetic layer, a t-shirt or collared shirt, and medium-weight but thin and mobile jacket. If it's super cold, I'll add a long-sleeve t-shirt under the jacket and/or an outer vest over the jacket. Never liked hoodies because they add air resistance and drag with their bulk.

Did a lot of window shopping at REI, EMS, and other similar stores this past spring after busting the zipper on my favorite jacket. Then I went to a local Golfsmith to see what they have. Ended up purchasing this jacket on line for the coming season:

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30154325/zero-restriction-men-s-highland-jacket

Tons of mobility in the shoulders (which is the company's intent), warm interior and waterproof exterior. Haven't had the chance to wear it yet, but totally satisfied with it. I've found that spring/fall season jackets with proper layering work the best as they aren't nearly as bulky as hoodies or winter jackets.

I live in Central WI.

Lightweight, windproof, waterproof shell.

With lightweight, thermal long-sleeve and Dri-Fit T-Shirt.

Maybe another thermal long sleeve if it's really cold.

Same set up with pants/legs.

I personally have not purchased the jackets or hoodies yet. Check out fieldsupply.com they have some awesome deals on clothing.

check out ball golf jackets or baseball batting jackets, they are both made with your body movement in consideration.

All this talk about these really warm jackets, but after about 7 holes im usually warm enough that im stripped down to 1 or 2 long sleeve shirts! Thats only southern indiana winters though.

I almost never wear an actual jacket in the Midwest winters for playing golf. Layer up and keep moving! I've invested into good base layers as well as hooded sweatshirts and that seems to keep me warm and able to move well enough. If I wear a jacket, I usually have to take it off after I get playing because I get too hot.

Definitely invest in some good baselayers. I really like wearing stuff made out of merino wool. It insulates when wet and you can wear them a couple days in a row without getting that nasty funk like synthetics. When it gets really cold like in the teens I may wear a lightweight primaloft jacket but usually I just wear my baselayers and a vest. Vests are absolutely perfect for DG.

Count me in with Team Layers for winter golf, puffy jackets get in the way. Nice coldgear baselayer, thin turtleneck, down filled vest and a thin windbreaker (Northface Running jacket) for outer layer. Lots of time I drop the turtleneck midround and just roll with the other 3 layers. Warm and flexible all day/night long.

Another key is one of those Under Armour masks that cover your whole neck and face. Keeping the neck warm and blocking any air flow inside your jacket/layers is key. And if you get to warm just take it off, roll it up and stash it away. Helps me play glow all winter long in Michigan.

Another key is one of those Under Armour masks that cover your whole neck and face. Keeping the neck warm and blocking any air flow inside your jacket/layers is key. And if you get to warm just take it off, roll it up and stash it away. Helps me play glow all winter long in Michigan.

Yes! The balaclava! I snagged a north face one this winter - southern WI is a lot different than MO in the winter time. I can definitely attest to keeping the wind off your neck to keep you warm. Even a fleece neck gaiter would be awesome for that.

Recently, I've been carrying a blanket in my cart and using it between shots. It's easier and faster than using a bulky coat. Works very well when it's not raining.

I'd personally go with a nice hoodie. IMOP more versatile than a jacket. Layered properly they can cover almost anything except situations where it is actively raining/ snowing.

Softshells are one of my favorites as well, but usually no hood.

Latest posts