• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Winter driver (grippy plastic, Teebird-like)

Meillo

Eagle Member
Hoi,

I'm thinking about a suitable driver for the winter. My normal drivers are premium plastic, which are a hazzle when wet. As versatile drivers I usually bag:

- Echostar Teebird (straight-to-fade)
- Star Valkyrie (straight, with slight turn and slight fade)
- M OLF (something inbetween the others)

A single driver (speed 7-9) is enough for me. This is what I'm searching for.

The driver I am most familar and most versatile with is the Teebird. Hence, the obvious choice would be an orange DX Teebird, but unfortunately DX Teebirds lose their fade rather quickly. Gstar seems to be noticably more understable and probably also slick when wet.

An orange DX Eagle-X is the best allround winter driver I've got. But as I like Teebirds more than Eagles I'm still on the search ...

Do you think a DX Thunderbird could be that Teebird with longer lasting fade (through having more speed)? Or what other disc could satisfy my wishes:

- Most important: grippy plastic (DX is usually grippy but in some runs slick; Prodigy 300 seems to be great, or L64 Zero Medium, not sure if Jawbreaker is still grippy in the cold, ...)
- Color: orange or pink
- Speed: 7-9, Turn: close to 0, Fade: 2 -- or simply think Star Teebird
- Brand: doesn't matter as long as it is well available (in Germany), i.e. major brands, popular discs

Suggestions welcome!

Isn't XT a putter-only plastic? I haven't heard of XT Teebirds, yet.

I see that Gstar is grippy in dry and cold conditions, but when I play on snow and cannot and don't want to afford to wipe the inside rim completely dry after each throw, a more porous plastic ... or maybe Discraft with the rised disc names on the inner rim, seem to give more grip. But maybe my expectation is wrong and I should just give it a go ...

More than the Aviar is made in XT but it seems the Roc might be the highest speed XT mold.

My personal favorite plastic for winter drivers is the ESP FLX from Discraft. Some of the ESP FLX Predators come out pretty straight flying, especially if you get one below 170g, and could replace that Eagle/Teebird feel. If you are willing to go a touch faster the Avenger SS is pretty decent in that plastic. Surge is my favorite but way faster than you wanted.

Let me emphasis on the important part: I'm less concerned with cold temperatures but more with WET CONDITIONS and especially playing in the SNOW. I search for a plastic type (for a driver) that I can play with even when the disc is still half-wet.

Does Gstar, ESP FLX and similar offer a grip comparable to DX, 300 or Zero Medium when the disc landed in the snow and you only have an already half-wet towel? Currently I doubt that.

... or alternatively a mold that flies in baseline plastic somewhat like a premium plastic Teebird, without changing flight characteristics less quickly than DX Teebirds. (Currently DX Eagle-X is my best candidate.)

Let me emphasis on the important part: I'm less concerned with cold temperatures but more with WET CONDITIONS and especially playing in the SNOW.

To be honest the best wet grip is champion plastic wiped with Windex. But if you want naturally grippy I would say R-Pro, which unfortunately has no fairway mold, so you would need to go up to a Wahoo.

Bring two towels :\

While I don't have any experience with them, I've heard those friction gloves work wonders for holding onto slippery discs.

Rather than reinvent your bag for winter play it could be worth looking into.

I bag the same discs year round. When its cold and sloppy and wet I just power down a bit and deal with the wet grip. Probably adds a few strokes to my round but I don't really play for money so it doesn't disappoint me too much.

I do like your DX Thunderbird idea as I imagine it would fly fairly close to a premium Teebird. At least for a while.

Isn't XT a putter-only plastic? I haven't heard of XT Teebirds, yet.

I see that Gstar is grippy in dry and cold conditions, but when I play on snow and cannot and don't want to afford to wipe the inside rim completely dry after each throw, a more porous plastic ... or maybe Discraft with the rised disc names on the inner rim, seem to give more grip. But maybe my expectation is wrong and I should just give it a go ...

That is my experience as well. A couple winters ago I bought some G* discs for the winter and was very disappointed. Great in cold and dry conditions or after the snow has crusted over. But absolutely terrible grip when wet.

gstarrr

also keep discs in your trunk or pregame them outside for about 30 min or an hour

hot discs with snow = icy discs

cold discs with snow = use a towel or glove to easily wipe snow off disc

Let me emphasis on the important part: I'm less concerned with cold temperatures but more with WET CONDITIONS and especially playing in the SNOW. I search for a plastic type (for a driver) that I can play with even when the disc is still half-wet.

I play often in wet conditions such as rain, wet slushy snow, etc. What I have found to be the key is to bring many towels and have a place to keep dry towels dry and put wet towels away. I carry towels in my bag in large ziplock type bags so they won't get wet until I take them out to wipe discs. Then when a towel gets too wet, I put it away in a separate ziplock bag to keep the wet towels contained.

This allows me to throw my usual Champion plastic drivers (Leopard3, Teebirds, Thunderbirds, Firebirds) even in wet conditions. I keep the same discs in my bag all year long.

Thanks for the many replies already.

I do like a lot going lightweight. In winter I don't want to carry my bag. Ideally I only take two discs with me: an allround driver and my putter, maybe one towel but nothing more. I want to move fast in order to stay warm. I don't to think about discs and stuff, but simply throw the same driver from each tee (except for the odd shortie holes), then one or two putter throws ... and on to the next hole. With snow on the ground, I like to run towards the landing are already when the discs's still flying to minimize searching times. A bag and towels all slow me down.

I don't really care so much for the specific disc I throw, I just want one that fits my desired flight characteristics. If I have to wipe only half as much or only use my finger to get the snow out, but still can throw a decent drive, then I have what I want.

The DX Banshee suggestion sounds good.

Has anyone experiences with Jawbreaker in wet conditions or other baseline plastic in Discraft fairway drivers? The lettering on the inside of the rim would be a bonus of Discraft discs in my scenario, I think.

Jawbreaker is a fantastic plastic for wet conditions, but I don't think it's terribly common for their driver molds.

Thanks for the many replies already.

I do like a lot going lightweight. In winter I don't want to carry my bag. Ideally I only take two discs with me: an allround driver and my putter, maybe one towel but nothing more. I want to move fast in order to stay warm. I don't to think about discs and stuff, but simply throw the same driver from each tee (except for the odd shortie holes), then one or two putter throws ... and on to the next hole. With snow on the ground, I like to run towards the landing are already when the discs's still flying to minimize searching times. A bag and towels all slow me down.

I don't really care so much for the specific disc I throw, I just want one that fits my desired flight characteristics. If I have to wipe only half as much or only use my finger to get the snow out, but still can throw a decent drive, then I have what I want.

The DX Banshee suggestion sounds good.

Has anyone experiences with Jawbreaker in wet conditions or other baseline plastic in Discraft fairway drivers? The lettering on the inside of the rim would be a bonus of Discraft discs in my scenario, I think.

discraft baseline is arguably the worst baseline of them all

seriously dont waste your time with it