• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Wizard or Judge...

bsnone

Par Member
Considering a change... I've been throwing wizards as my main putter for the last 9 months. I really like them but I'm really frustrated with the consistency. I don't have the luxury to hand pick my putters out at the shop so I'm stuck ordering online. I throw the SS plastic and find a HUGE contrast between my different discs, some are rock hard, some chalky, some flexy and soft. I"m wondering if a switch to the Judge would be a smooth transition - anyone made this switch? If I order 8 Judges online are they going to be fairly consistent from disc to disc?

I'm sure this has been addressed before... sorry if this is a major repeat.

I didn't switch from the Wizard, but I have seven or eight Judges in the classic plastic, and I would say six of them feel similar (the older "record" Judges feel a bit more tacky). As for flight, the Judge is going to be less overstable than the Wizard if you are planning on using it outside the circle.

I've never had a problem with consistency, but you might want to consider that the Judge flies considerably more neutral than the Wizard.

If you are going to order 8 go with the new McPro Aviars, free shipping on that order!

If you like the Wizards I would suggest calling gateway. Tell them the feeling that you like and have somebody at the store pick a bunch out for you. They are quite helpful there. And if you an describe the feel you like they will make sure you get what you are looking for.

I like beaded putters but stayed away from Wizards for the same reason your thinking about switching to the Judge. I could never find two Wizards that felt the same. Instead of the Wizard I decided to putt with KC Aviars. I found that the closest putters to Wizards in feel & flight are KC & JK Aviars. If you like flexible/softer Wizards try out a JK Aviar. If you like hard/stiff Wizards check out the KC Aviar. In my experience KC Aviars have the most consistency when it comes to plastic of all the beaded discs similar to the Wizard. The Judge seems to be pretty consistent when it comes to the feel/firmness of plastic. As others have said Judges don't have as much fade as Wizards. Judges don't have as deep of a rim as Wizards & BB Aviars. If I remember correctly the bead on the Judge is smaller than the bead on Wizards & BB Aviars as well. No matter what putter you choose there will be some inconsistency in the plastic but some are more consistent than others.

Considering a change... I've been throwing wizards as my main putter for the last 9 months. I really like them but I'm really frustrated with the consistency. I don't have the luxury to hand pick my putters out at the shop so I'm stuck ordering online. I throw the SS plastic and find a HUGE contrast between my different discs, some are rock hard, some chalky, some flexy and soft. I"m wondering if a switch to the Judge would be a smooth transition - anyone made this switch? If I order 8 Judges online are they going to be fairly consistent from disc to disc?

I'm sure this has been addressed before... sorry if this is a major repeat.

Yes, I am currently making the switch right now. It has been a really smooth and fairly easy transition. I have not noticed that much difference in flight from the Wizard to the Judge. (But you have to consider at 30 feet or so everything seems to fly the same) As far as feel in the hand, the two are very similar. So you shouldn't have any trouble there.

Consistency from disc to disc will be there. They don't have as many different types of plastic as Gateway. But, if you decide to stay with Wizard, do like they said above. Call Gateway and tell them what you are looking for, and they will fix you up.

I used to throw Wizards and I had the same issues as you, finding consistent feeling plastic. My go to driving Wizard was one of a kind too, it was a flat evo x-out that felt like the grippiest FLX blend you've handled. Got so frustrated trying to find another.

I switched to MVP Ions. They aren't for everyone considering they don't come in base plastic, but I went from putting base for years to putting Proton without any issues. The Soft Proton Ions feel similar to the evo Wizard, and I can order 50 of them and they'll all feel and fly the same. Plus they fly further than my Wizards did and hold up to impacts better. My first Ion still just goes dead straight on a rip.

I made the switch for the same reasons you are thinking about it and haven't looked back. I only use them for putting and since I was using SSS tacky wizards the switch to soft classic judges. I made that switch easier than I expected. I do not use them for backhands so idk about that.

I switched from Wizards to Judges, but not for consistency reasons. As was suggested before, calling up Gateway and telling them what you prefer will allow them to go in the shop and grab you a handful that are just the way you like. Those guys are amazing. For me, the lower profile and more neutral flight of the Judge just make it much better for me on the course. So if you don't think the Judge will take off some strokes, I recommend sticking with the Wizard and letting the guys at Gateway get you exactly what you want.

thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated. I actually started with MVP ions but the Arizona summer heat made them just too slippery, hence the switch to the wizards. I'll be sure to go straight to the source for my next order.

I switched to the Judges after they released the Classic Blend plastic. I was throwing SS Voodoo's forever and the Classic blend is the closest to my favorite variety of SS plastic that Gateway had. The Classic was too close to the Gateway Medium, which I hated, and the Soft was like a SSS that was left in the car on a hot day.
The Voodoo is similar to a beat to crap Wizard, and I would say the Judge in Classic Blend is dead between a fresh SS Wizard and a fresh SS Voodoo, stability wise.

The Classic blend judges are like a hybrid of SS and eraser from gateway. The perfect stiffness with a little give. I have never considered switching putters since and i came from SS and SSS wizards. Not as stable as wizards and bit lower profile. But the judge was made for me so that's up to you

I tried Aviars and switched to wizards last season. I love their eraser plastic. Mine has broken into a puddle topped dream. Straight with a little fade. Mmm

I tried Aviars and switched to wizards last season. I love their eraser plastic. Mine has broken into a puddle topped dream. Straight with a little fade. Mmm

i did the same thing. i went from a neutral yeti avairs to wizards because i wanted a more predictable fade at the end.

I haven't thrown judges, but have had some excellent results with Wizards. Certainly there are several plastics to choose from, but I think that's a good thing. Many folks carry two or more putters for different shots. For instance, I prefer Gateway's Evolution plastic for driving putters as they are damn-near indestructable. For putts and approaches, the Eraser, SS, or Organic work well for me. Perhaps having several different plastics is really a good thing...in any case, good luck on finding your putter!

I haven't thrown judges, but have had some excellent results with Wizards. Certainly there are several plastics to choose from, but I think that's a good thing. Many folks carry two or more putters for different shots. For instance, I prefer Gateway's Evolution plastic for driving putters as they are damn-near indestructable. For putts and approaches, the Eraser, SS, or Organic work well for me. Perhaps having several different plastics is really a good thing...in any case, good luck on finding your putter!

I think the OP's problem is the consistency of individual plastic runs not necessarily the variety of plastics.

I played the Boise Winter Wizard tournament last Sunday, and if could get the same organic Wizard I had every time I bought one I would switch to them in a heartbeat.

Again though my only gripe with Gateway is consistency. They make runs of absolutely perfect plastic, then, out comes a bunch of other stuff that doesn't work me. I end up buying a lot of plastic on-line, and can't really fondle each disc before I buy it which was a big factor in why I switched putters from Voodoo's in the first place.

If the consistency of the plastic itself is the main issue I would switch to the Judge (The MVP Ion is another one to consider, I have several I just prefer the base blend Judge plastic over the premium proton or neutron). I have been working on my stack of Judges for a few months now and I have been blown away by the consistent feel of the plastic.