• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wolf vs. Stringray

Which do you prefer for understable mid range?

• Stingray

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Wolf

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Craton

Double Eagle Member
Alright so here's the scenario.

I picked up a DX Stingraya few months ago, and now I'm wondering what it's like compared to a Wolf. Do you guys have a preference between these two? I'm not looking to pick up a Wolf if you do- I know my Stingray will break into a really versatile disc- but I just want to know what you guys think of either one.

Also, I put a poll on here for the first time- so if I mess it up, just ignore it and post anyways.

I LOVE my champ stingray, so much that I bought 2 more just for backups incase I ever lose it. I was never a big fan of the Wolf though, it just never felt right in my hand.

The champs are definitely more stable in the DX plastic though..

I don't use either one. I use a Stratus as my under-stable mid and it works wonders. When ever I use it to get out of a bad situation, I always get the same question: "Wow, what disc was that?" I always smile and tell them "Its a Discraft Stratus".

The stingray is awesome. I t was my one of my first 5 discs I bought. It worked for me then to go straight, now I can hyzer it at 45 degrees and it will stay dead straight. Or I can anhyzer it to curve around trees to the right. I will never be without a stingray in my bag. The wolf for some reason was very inconsistent.

P.S. I love your avatar!

I have used the DX wolf for 3 years now and really like it for longer putts and soft approaches, I prefer them in the lighter weights if that means anything.

the stingray is the only disc that i can get to go to the left for me. im lhbh by the way.

I was going to say. I can no longer get the stingray to go left. Even on a massive hyzer, I guess if I threw it way up int he air it would still dive left however.

The stingray is awesome. I t was my one of my first 5 discs I bought. It worked for me then to go straight, now I can hyzer it at 45 degrees and it will stay dead straight. Or I can anhyzer it to curve around trees to the right. I will never be without a stingray in my bag. The wolf for some reason was very inconsistent.

P.S. I love your avatar!

My avatar?:rolleyes:

No, the original poster Craton, using the flight chart modified!

I have both in my bag, but only one Wolf and I really only use it when I need a serious anhyzer (RHBH) shot that's going to keep going right -- like hole 17 at ERP from the blue tees. I have three Stingrays in various weights/plastics in my bag, and for a weak-armed guy like me one of them is my driver more often than not. However, the any difference between them is probably more mental than anything else -- I accidentally threw my Wolf off the blue tee on hole 3 at ERP (same color as one of my Stingrays), and threw nearly as far as my longest-ever drive on that hole.

I was going to say. I can no longer get the stingray to go left. Even on a massive hyzer, I guess if I threw it way up int he air it would still dive left however.
us lefties are gifted, only on some holes though.
My avatar?:rolleyes:

i swear officer i didnt pour gas on it. oh the gas smell i think its from when my wife had me mowing the lawn earlier;)

Stingray all the way!!!!!

I have a DX Stingray that I got at the Freeman Lake Open almost 2yrs ago. Great turnover disc and awesome for long hyzer flips.

I've got two in my bag. I'm probably going to take one out now. A DX one was one of my first discs. At first it helped me to throw straight. Then I used it for turnovers as it wore. Then it got super flippy and I use it for short, hard right turning shots, especially what I call a "spike anhyzer." A technically harder shot I throw with the super flippy DX one is a hyzer/anhyzer. Start out hyzer, it flips, then it keeps going right and never comes back. It allows me to have a right turn further down the fairway than I otherwise would so the overall flight pattern is much like a forehand with an overstable disc.

I bought a new star stingray a couple months ago with the intention of giving the DX one to my wife (she always steals it anyway) but it was so much more stable (although still understable) I use both (at least when she's not playing.) But now it is getting to be just as flippy so I can probably take the DX one completely out of the bag.

Never tried the wolf, but I think there is a role for a disc like this in most of our bags. I suppose a really beat roc would be able to do most shots I use a stingray for, but not all of them IMHO. We'll see. I'm still beating in my first roc.

Latest posts