• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worlds Par

Still a silly rule to me -- you get to arrive late but you can't leave early. Leave early -- DQ'd, come late, get to play!
If you're late, TD has already adjusted group sizes whether you show up or not. If you bail mid-round, your group might be down to 2 players who have to scramble to regroup.

Lyle: I believe the intent of the Par+4 penalty is to give the offending player a relatively stiff penalty. If you set Par based on MPO play, then that penalty for MPO players is about four throws vs. their division. But with MPO Par the effective penalty for lower divisions is probably closer to only one or two throws vs. their division. Punishment for the same offense should carry the same weight, but in this MPO-set-Par-for-everyone scenario it doesn't.

As someone pointed out upthread you can eliminate this problem by making missed holes a DQ instead. But I don't think the PDGA wants to be that strict, e.g. Sarah Hokom car crash at 2015 Worlds.

Not that I'm slower than most, but I see your point. As before, if we are keeping track across divisions, this is more of a problem. Yep, I understand equity, it is after all, the American way.... How much work do you make if you have a tiered penalty? That would be the issue for me since while the equity thing is important, it isn't going to impact the top tiers. Yes, some rec player who misses a hole might then win by a stroke, but that is less important than if a pro did the same.

Yes, some rec player who misses a hole might then win by a stroke, but that is less important than if a pro did the same.
If we're talking about PDGA Rules and PDGA Sanctioned events, then I disagree.

Maybe the Rulebook definition needs to be updated to something like:

PAR -
As determined by the Director, the score an expert [in their division] disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two throws from close range to hole out.

why is that?

If you're talking absolute morality, egos, philosophy, or the American way, they are exactly the same, if you're talking about impact on the sport and it's growth, they aren't.

The rule of + 4 is applied evenly across a division. Each player within the division is treated the same. The PDGA could write a rule making the punishment knowingly harsher for pro divisions, pros get +5 and ams get +3. We might not like it, but as long as the rule is applied evenly within the division, that is fine. You can argue with the PDGA about how unfair it is, and people argue all the time, and the PDGA might even change it, but you can't say the rule was applied unfairly against you and for the guys you are competing directly against.

BTW for all practical purposes, TDs move money from lower brackets via markups all the time. They also treat different age brackets differently all the time in fees and payout. This is one of Pete's arguments.

I've thought a better way to handle late players is a normal misplay of +2 per late hole but capped at 2 holes. You miss more than 2 holes, it's a DNS (Did Not Start).

I've thought a better way to handle late players is a normal misplay of +2 per late hole but capped at 2 holes. You miss more than 2 holes, it's a DNS (Did Not Start).

I'm assuming you'd make them play the hole? I like that resolution. Very nice, even all ways easy to do except, they have to play those holes and someone needs to hand hold. Still, solves the problem.

I'm assuming you'd make them play the hole? I like that resolution. Very nice, even all ways easy to do except, they have to play those holes and someone needs to hand hold. Still, solves the problem.
I'm suggesting Par+2 with out them playing the hole(s). But I could also see making them play one or two holes at the end instead and tacking on 2 per hole.

I'm suggesting Par+2 with out them playing the hole(s). But I could also see making them play one or two holes at the end instead and tacking on 2 per hole.

I'm kind of slow, but doesn't solution one leave you the same, with just a lower penalty?

I'm kind of slow, but doesn't solution one leave you the same, with just a lower penalty?
Yes, but it reduces non-throwing related penalties which get included in player's scores used for ratings calculations. It would be nice if we could get scores without those penalties included, strictly for ratings calculations. But that would be a hassle both for TDs and for data management on the web site.

Yes, but it reduces non-throwing related penalties which get included in player's scores used for ratings calculations. It would be nice if we could get scores without those penalties included, strictly for ratings calculations. But that would be a hassle both for TDs and for data management on the web site.

Thanks. I suspect some may still think it unfair, but from a perspective of the game it seems good to me.

I'd bet we'll soon see a requirement or an incentive for all scoring being done on something like PDGA Live or Udisc Live, with penalties (not just number, but type) and other stats included in the data.

That penalty is vastly insufficient for missing over 10% of a round. Any player who actually plays a hole but plays it very poorly is likely to meet or exceed it scorewise.

I'd bet we'll soon see a requirement or an incentive for all scoring being done on something like PDGA Live or Udisc Live, with penalties (not just number, but type) and other stats included in the data.

...but they will suck up all the bandwidth...

i certainly hope you are wrong but i would not be surprised to see the pdga incentivize it- i would be shocked to see them require it however.

That penalty is vastly insufficient for missing over 10% of a round. Any player who actually plays a hole but plays it very poorly is likely to meet or exceed it scorewise.
That may be. But the fundamental aspect of this judgment is how to balance keeping late players in the game versus simply DQing them like ball golf. It seems foolish to provide such a harsh par+4 penalty if the goal is keep a player participating and in contention. Just DQ after so many holes missed.

That may be. But the fundamental aspect of this judgment is how to balance keeping late players in the game versus simply DQing them like ball golf. It seems foolish to provide such a harsh par+4 penalty if the goal is keep a player participating and in contention. Just DQ after so many holes missed.

Who says the goal is to keep them in the game? IMO they should be effectively eliminated from contention by failing to show.

Who says the goal is to keep them in the game? IMO they should be effectively eliminated from contention by failing to show.
Then why not DQ them? Less hassle for group and TD whether player will arrive late. The par+4, which was par+3 a while back, is clearly a way to potentially keep the player in the round.

I said to dq them way up the thread and that is exactly what I believe should occur. Cut and dried and inarguably fair. Scorecard errors should also be a dq for that matter.

I said to dq them way up the thread and that is exactly what I believe should occur. Cut and dried and inarguably fair. Scorecard errors should also be a dq for that matter.
In spades.
Respect for the sport (by the players AND the unknowing public) is earned by tough standards, not by coddling players. If we (the PDGA) lose 'a player or 3' because we're "too tough on them", too bad; it'll be a valuable lesson that they'd learn some other way / time (and probably more painful, too). Are we that desperate for money that we base rules on participation numbers? God I hope not....