• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Wraith love - post your stories

I have a stack of Wraiths. They run the spectrum from pretty flippy (by my standards) to beefy like a McBeth 4X Destroyer.

It's nice that I can bag three of the same discs and get three different uses out of them.

Generally, you can count on the Gstar and most of the Pro plastics to be kind of flippy when new. My champion and halo ones are generally on the overstable side. The stars seem to me to have the most variance in their flight and it seems the flatter ones tend to fly a little understable while the domier ones lean towards the beefy side.

Not sure if any of that helps you.

Hmm, ok. That helps a little. Maybe I should try to find a similar weight Star, but with more dome? It might fly more how I want. Thanks for your advice

More dome typically means more glide. I'm guessing your Climos have a very low wing which is causing them to fly understable. I believe there have been some flat runs of Wraiths that have flown very understable

More dome typically means more glide. I'm guessing your Climos have a very low wing which is causing them to fly understable. I believe there have been some flat runs of Wraiths that have flown very understable

I have no idea if it's a low, medium or high wing, haha. Since I have no reference discs to compare mine too. But that could definitely be an issue. I think I'm going to try to find a similar weight 167-170 but with more dome. See if that does the trick. Thanks for you advice

I'm throwing close to 400 and haven't found a flippy wraith yet. Ima have to start looking cause my beat pro wraith just barely started to turn over. Were you throwing into a headwind? Maybe an OAT issue? I have not been able to find a flippy wraith, but I also don't pay attention to PLH or dome.

Edit: I also haven't bought a new Wraith since 2018, so that might be the issue

I'm throwing close to 400 and haven't found a flippy wraith yet. Ima have to start looking cause my beat pro wraith just barely started to turn over. Were you throwing into a headwind? Maybe an OAT issue? I have not been able to find a flippy wraith, but I also don't pay attention to PLH or dome.

Edit: I also haven't bought a new Wraith since 2018, so that might be the issue

No OAT, no headwind, nothing like that. I throw smooth 330-350. Mine were purchased last year mid summer.

That's why it's so strange that it's flippy and turns over so hard so quickly. I'm finding out that not all discs at all times fly like they are supposed to.

I have a Prodigy X2 that says it's 13/4/0/4, should be a total beef monster, and shouldn't be able to throw it that far. Yet it flies dead straight for 80% of it's flight, is SUPER long and then only fades with a forward penetrating path near the end?! Makes no sense

Also have 2 Discmania Essnece's that should be flippy easy to turnover FW's, yet they are very overstable for that disc. Just tried out 2 other Essences and they were super flippy. So I just happen to have these 2 super weird ones that don't fly at all like they are supposed to!

Then I also have 2 DD Trespasses that are supposed to be 12/5/-1/3, yet fly SUPER understable. They are more like -4/1!!! I have to literally throw them on a 45* hyzer just to get a semi straight S flight path. Otherwise they turn into straight rollers!

Discs seem to be very shoddy in their tolerances and how they turn out and I'm starting to see that the #'s don't always mean what they say. And that different runs can vary greatly! Makes it VERY difficult to find the discs you want/need without wasting tons of money buying ones till you find the "right one."

I got a flat stock Climo Wraith from 3-4 years ago that's pretty flippy. It was also in the low 160s so I assumed that was the reason. I would probably bag it if it was heavier.

No OAT, no headwind, nothing like that. I throw smooth 330-350. Mine were purchased last year mid summer.

That's why it's so strange that it's flippy and turns over so hard so quickly. I'm finding out that not all discs at all times fly like they are supposed to.

I have a Prodigy X2 that says it's 13/4/0/4, should be a total beef monster, and shouldn't be able to throw it that far. Yet it flies dead straight for 80% of it's flight, is SUPER long and then only fades with a forward penetrating path near the end?! Makes no sense

Also have 2 Discmania Essnece's that should be flippy easy to turnover FW's, yet they are very overstable for that disc. Just tried out 2 other Essences and they were super flippy. So I just happen to have these 2 super weird ones that don't fly at all like they are supposed to!

Then I also have 2 DD Trespasses that are supposed to be 12/5/-1/3, yet fly SUPER understable. They are more like -4/1!!! I have to literally throw them on a 45* hyzer just to get a semi straight S flight path. Otherwise they turn into straight rollers!

Discs seem to be very shoddy in their tolerances and how they turn out and I'm starting to see that the #'s don't always mean what they say. And that different runs can vary greatly! Makes it VERY difficult to find the discs you want/need without wasting tons of money buying ones till you find the "right one."

If any distance driver is board flat you should probably pass. Flat distance drivers tend to be flippy and squirrely. Find some dome, it'll be your friend. Straighter, more glide, more consistent flight.

A shallow dome can be OK, but in general a good size dome will be a more reliable flier.

There are certainly outliers where a flatter disc also has a higher wing, then you can be OK too. But most of those are anomolies.

A shallow dome can be OK, but in general a good size dome will be a more reliable flier.

There are certainly outliers where a flatter disc also has a higher wing, then you can be OK too. But most of those are anomolies.

Mild dome Wraiths have the best combo of glide and stability for me, pop tops are an abomination.

Anyone actually read all of Wookie's manifestos?

If any distance driver is board flat you should probably pass. Flat distance drivers tend to be flippy and squirrely. Find some dome, it'll be your friend. Straighter, more glide, more consistent flight.

Oh wow! Thank you for that info, I've never heard that. VERY Helpful info to have :thmbup:

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-glow-wraith-factory-second/
Factory store groups regular and Color glow on the same page when ordering these F2s.

These white glow wraiths are very, very OS for wraiths but I got some really good headwind throws with them. I am very happy with the discs.

They are marked 173.5g on them, but they honestly feel around 180g. They are so heavy in the hand compared to other discs. I wish I had a scale.

Good stuff with these. Extremely domey.

Mild dome Wraiths have the best combo of glide and stability for me, pop tops are an abomination.

Anyone actually read all of Wookie's manifestos?

Love me a good pop top wraith for the OS end of my wraith cycle. Dumb thing hooks up like firebird while going a little farther. Works kinda like a PD or invictus.

Totally agree that some dome is what you want for a good, consistent flyer. The flat squirrelly ones tend to be the longest, but you're trading lack of control for that extra 25-40 ft of distance and it's not always worth it

I picked up a pair of DX Glow Wraiths for some fun, hopefully instant, flippiness. The grip was a little slick to start, but after landing in some grass and leaves a few times it started to feel better. They fly like a seasoned Pro Wraith right away and you can kind of do anything with them. The flight probably won't last long, but I'll be keeping them around for potential rainy rounds, or just more fun in the field.

Just got a new Star Wraith from Marshall Street. Was hoping the picture showed a flatter one, but I got the domiest Wraith I have ever seen. Expecting great things from it eventually, but from the other posts on here I'm guessing it's gonna be beefy. Guess I'll have to take a 2 hour trip to a real disc golf shop so I can pick up a flat one to try out.

Aren't PLH and wing shape more reliable indicators of stability than dome? It has held true for me across molds of high speed drivers.

I have some new pop-top Star Wraiths that are not beefy at all. They are extra glidey and will stand up, fly straight, finish with a mellow fade. I haven't tested them for pure distance yet but they seem like contenders.

The flat 4x McBeth Destroyers were beefy compared to the pop-tops that I have, though they did have higher PLH and more concave wings. Still have a couple of those pop-tops for max distance and potential long rollers. Thinking these Wraiths are in the same category.

Last edited:
I don't know man. Maybe it's the PLH, maybe it's the dome, or maybe none of you know what your talking about. All I know is what it does when I throw it and that's how it flies, nuff said.

Aren't PLH and wing shape more reliable indicators of stability than dome? It has held true for me across molds of high speed drivers.

I have some new pop-top Star Wraiths that are not beefy at all. They are extra glidey and will stand up, fly straight, finish with a mellow fade. I haven't tested them for pure distance yet but they seem like contenders.

The flat 4x McBeth Destroyers were beefy compared to the pop-tops that I have, though they did have higher PLH and more concave wings. Still have a couple of those pop-tops for max distance and potential long rollers. Thinking these Wraiths are in the same category.

PLH and wing shape take precedent over dome. But I've almost always found that the larger dome distance drivers to be the most stable. I've had a couple Champ Shrykes that fly like 0/3. If I threw 500+ maybe I could get some turn but not at my measly 400 max.

As the poster above me said, if PLH are pretty much the same then the domier disc will be more stable.

PLH > wing shape > dome.

Does not matter if you're talking warp speed or putters.

So I got 2 Star bottom stamp Wraiths online (White 168 and a Teal 169). The guy said he would try to pick out the most moderate dome of the ones he had, and he was right on the money! Compared to my super flat top one, these do have a little bit more dome, but not as much as the GG Halo ones.

But the main 2 things that are different are the shape of the top plate to the PL, and the PLH itself.

So the shape is more like what I've seen on Wraiths. It is highest in the middle, then gently slopes down all the way to the wing. No shapes, just gentle slope from the center down to the PL. Whereas mine has a flat top, then this weird Prodigy looking hump on the edges.

And the edge of the new discs are much sharper and thinner than my flat top under stable Wraith. Wondering if that has any effect on the flight?

The second difference is the PLH. These 2 new ones have a slightly higher PLH than mine and you can see it easily as soon as you put them down on a flat surface. So from what I know, that should make these 2 new ones more OS than my flat top one. And low and behold they are!

Also, the top plate plastic is MUCH thinner on the White one. It's like super thin and floppy. You can see through it, it's so thin! Whereas my original Ken Climo Mint colored one and the new Teal one are normal thickness and stiffness. Wondering WHY that is? And what does that do to the flight of the disc? Never had a disc with SUCH thin plastic on the top plate. It's very strange.

So the white one is the most OS and flies a lot more like how I "thought" a Wraith would fly. With my inability to throw that far yet, it goes out dead straight most of the way, then the last 50-80' it starts turning left. It has a solid fade, but is a forward pushing fade. So it's still gaining distance. So 11/5/0/3

Then the Teal one is ever so slightly less stable and will beat in to become my favorite one of the 3 I have I'm guessing. It has a tiny bit of turn when thrown well, glides there for most of the flight, then near the end it comes back. But not as hard and as quickly as the White one. So it flies more like 11/5/-0.5/2

Very happy with both, and now I'll be using all 3 and trying to get them seasoned. I still use my original Mint flippy one the most though. I'm really getting used to what it can and can not do, and it's pretty sweet. I can throw it on a medium hyzer angle out left and a bit high, and it will go out, flip up flat, gain height and distance, then start turning right for awhile, continue to glide gently right, then near the end, it starts fighting out just a bit and ends up just a touch right of dead straight. It's really cool. If I hit it just right, it's my longest disc for sure. But it's pretty touchy and I have to hit the angle and the line well or it ends up too far left or right. But still, it's fun and I'm really enjoying this mold. The shape of this disc and the rim are just fantastic and really glad I finally tried them out.

PLH and wing shape take precedent over dome. But I've almost always found that the larger dome distance drivers to be the most stable. I've had a couple Champ Shrykes that fly like 0/3. If I threw 500+ maybe I could get some turn but not at my measly 400 max.

As the poster above me said, if PLH are pretty much the same then the domier disc will be more stable.

I bag a few Wraiths and this has been my experience as well. A buddy of mine has some low 150s stock Star Wraiths that absolutely bomb, and are a lot more stable out of the box than the Starlite ones. I don't buy discs much anymore but if there are a couple I'd like to get it would be some of those.