• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Xcalibur

taxman

Par Member
i just discovered this disc last friday. i bought one last summer and added it to the bag of tricks, but i was never to happy with how it flew for me. i never got much distance out of it and it seemed to have a ton of fade. so it became my hard right turn disc (LHBH). well, this friday was quite windy. and the course i was playing is mostly open fairways with brush and trees lining the sides. and my normal driver doesn't do well in wind (150 wraith) for me. so i tossed the Xcal on a few holes. it seemed like a different disc. it flew very straight with just a bit of fade at the end of flight. another use for the disc and i've gained a little more respect for it.

i'm just curious what others use it for.

RHFH here. Star Xcal is my primary driver. If I really rip it hard with a little hyzer I get a beautiful s-curve and lotsa nice distance. Longest shot with it so far has ben 350'. I have never had this disc turn over on me, ever. Looking for a wraith though here lately, just to try.

I think you mean anhyzer...which is how I throw my Star Xcals 172/175g and get the S curve to about 350' as well FH. It is my primary FH disc. I've only BH'd it a few times and it was windy and worked ok. I llke my FLX Predator 174g for really strong head winds though backhand.

The number one wind disc in my bag. I will never throw anything else with the wind in my face.

With the wind at my back is a different story. If the fairway is open I throw a lighter disc and if it is a tighter fairway I throw a 175 Wraith.

Also with side winds the Xcal works great!

This is a very underrated disc.

i'd agree with it being underrated. most people have this disc and use it a lot, but they just don't realize how much they use it. There is a course near my house where i use it on 8-9 holes off the tee every time i play. I never really realized that until someone else pointed out how much i rely on the disc. it just does the same thing every single time-straight and then fades. and yeah, in the wind it's awesome too. I think innova thought it was sort of a flop, and so they don't hype it up anymore, but i've seen so many people use it that I think they really could market it better and it would be one of those discs with a following like the wraith.

i guess i haven't tried putting any anhyzer on the xcal. i'll have to give it a shot next time i'm in a field practicing. on the courses i play most often there aren't very many open holes where a big sweeping S curve would have enough room.

I tend to use my groove like most do an X. I use my X though for my sidearm when I am not using my Firebird.

I like my XCal 'cause it's worn in all nice and s-curvy, plus my teeny hands can't quite get around a Boss or Groove comfortably. The XCal didn't really go in Innova's dog house, they probably just had some new drug (Boss, Monarch) to peddle to us addicts.

The Xcal is good in the wind as long as you keep it low and level. It has the most glide of any overstable disc which means if you show the bottom of the disc the wind it will have an adverse effect. I prefer to throw a disc with lower glide like the Firebird into a headwind. I carry an Xcal for certain situations like low canopy curving shots and skip fades and max D shots when there's danger to the right like water.

I just got one today and hope to use it soon because the courses in my area are very open, so windy days are killer.

RHFH here. Star Xcal is my primary driver. If I really rip it hard with a little hyzer I get a beautiful s-curve and lotsa nice distance. Longest shot with it so far has ben 350'. I have never had this disc turn over on me, ever. Looking for a wraith though here lately, just to try.

I think a Wraith will be too understable for you and flip drastically. Try a destroyer instead if you want some big D with less fade and hard turn than the Xcal

It has been my experience that a Destroyer will turn over as much or more than a Wraith, but it will fight back likea Wraith. Don't know if this is a user error or disc speed function, but this conversation came up last round we played.

My Xcal was / is too much disk for my arm, but into head winds that I don't want to risk turning it over it is great. Nice niche disk for some thumber, tommy, and hard fade approaches (if you are creative or fancy).

You didn't mention what type of plastic you had. I assumed 'Star'. I got a "Champion" Xcal for a CTP I hit. I liked the way it felt in the hand. But it just goes left, hard for me. Not much glide. Just hard fade. Into the 'extra disc' pile for now. I didn't try it in the wind though.

Great disc for long, straight low drives (RHFH). Recently I have just been using it for max D and using a Champ Teebird for most of my FH tee shots (trying to identify the problems with my form) and really haven't lost too much distance.

Latest posts